Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Join our study and walk through the Bible with us.

Latest topics
» Num 22:39-40
Real People, Real God By Dave Branon EmptyTue Nov 06, 2018 3:43 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:27-28
Real People, Real God By Dave Branon EmptyTue Oct 30, 2018 3:43 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:26
Real People, Real God By Dave Branon EmptyTue Oct 23, 2018 4:04 am by clark thompson

» Num 22:37-38
Real People, Real God By Dave Branon EmptyTue Oct 16, 2018 3:31 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:24-25
Real People, Real God By Dave Branon EmptyTue Oct 09, 2018 4:08 am by clark thompson

» Num 22:30-32
Real People, Real God By Dave Branon EmptyWed Aug 22, 2018 4:16 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:13-15
Real People, Real God By Dave Branon EmptyTue Aug 14, 2018 3:36 am by clark thompson

» A Hopeful Lament By Amy Peterson
Real People, Real God By Dave Branon EmptyFri Aug 10, 2018 11:42 am by LesBrewer

» What does the Bible say about pettiness?
Real People, Real God By Dave Branon EmptyFri Aug 10, 2018 11:03 am by LesBrewer

» A Good Daddy By Xochitl Dixon
Real People, Real God By Dave Branon EmptyThu Aug 09, 2018 1:57 am by LesBrewer

» Num 22:28-29
Real People, Real God By Dave Branon EmptyWed Aug 08, 2018 10:32 pm by clark thompson

» When the Bottom Drops Out By Poh Fang Chia
Real People, Real God By Dave Branon EmptyTue Aug 07, 2018 3:22 pm by LesBrewer

» The Joy of Giving By Leslie Koh
Real People, Real God By Dave Branon EmptyMon Aug 06, 2018 4:34 pm by LesBrewer

» Hard Mysteries By Amy Boucher Pye
Real People, Real God By Dave Branon EmptySun Aug 05, 2018 6:05 pm by LesBrewer

» Forgiven?
Real People, Real God By Dave Branon EmptySun Aug 05, 2018 5:42 pm by LesBrewer

May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Location Map
Bible Search
Search the Bible:

Examples: Psalm 27; John 15
love one another; Psalm 23

WEEKLY WISDOM

You are not connected. Please login or register

Real People, Real God By Dave Branon

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Real People, Real God By Dave Branon Empty Real People, Real God By Dave Branon Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:45 pm

LesBrewer

LesBrewer

Real People, Real God By Dave Branon

Real People, Real God By Dave Branon 20-770x425

Read: Philippians 3:17-21

Join together in following my example.

Philippians 3:17

Several years ago I received a letter from an Our Daily Bread reader after I had written about a family tragedy. “When you told about your tragedy,” this person wrote, “I realized that the writers were real people with real problems.” How true that is! I look across the list of men and women who pen these articles, and I see cancer and wayward children and unfulfilled dreams and many other kinds of loss. We are indeed just regular, real people writing about a real God who understands our real problems.

The apostle Paul stands out in the Real People Hall of Fame. He had physical problems. He had legal issues. He had interpersonal relationship struggles to deal with. And in all of this messy reality, he was setting an example for us. In Philippians 3:17, he said, “Join together in following my example, brothers and sisters, and just as you have us as a model, keep your eyes on those who live as we do.”

Those around us who need the gospel—who need Jesus—are looking for believable people who can point them to our perfect Savior. And that means we must be real.

You, Lord, are perfection. Yet You welcome us imperfect people to come to You for salvation. You sent Your perfect Son to earth to die for us. Help us to be real and genuine as we seek to point people to You.

If we are true to God, we will not be false to people.

Insight:

Philippians 3 is a chapter bookended by dramatic contrast. The chapter opens with Paul sharing his credentials within the realm of Judaism: his circumcision, his bloodline as a Jew, his lineage as a Benjamite, his position as a Pharisee, his rigid obedience to Moses’ law, and his commitment to persecuting followers of Christ whom he saw as a threat to the faith of Israel (vv. 5–6). The contrast is found in verse 20, where he declares that because of Christ his “citizenship is in heaven.” From seeking to protect the earthly Israel to being part of a heavenly kingdom is, indeed, a dramatic contrast.

Philippians 3:17-21 King James Version (KJV)

17 Brethren, be followers together of me, and mark them which walk so as ye have us for an ensample.

18 (For many walk, of whom I have told you often, and now tell you even weeping, that they are the enemies of the cross of Christ:

19 Whose end is destruction, whose God is their belly, and whose glory is in their shame, who mind earthly things.)

20 For our conversation is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ:

21 Who shall change our vile body, that it may be fashioned like unto his glorious body, according to the working whereby he is able even to subdue all things unto himself.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum