Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Join our study and walk through the Bible with us.

Latest topics
» Num 22:39-40
Lurking Lions By Tim Gustafson EmptyTue Nov 06, 2018 3:43 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:27-28
Lurking Lions By Tim Gustafson EmptyTue Oct 30, 2018 3:43 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:26
Lurking Lions By Tim Gustafson EmptyTue Oct 23, 2018 4:04 am by clark thompson

» Num 22:37-38
Lurking Lions By Tim Gustafson EmptyTue Oct 16, 2018 3:31 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:24-25
Lurking Lions By Tim Gustafson EmptyTue Oct 09, 2018 4:08 am by clark thompson

» Num 22:30-32
Lurking Lions By Tim Gustafson EmptyWed Aug 22, 2018 4:16 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:13-15
Lurking Lions By Tim Gustafson EmptyTue Aug 14, 2018 3:36 am by clark thompson

» A Hopeful Lament By Amy Peterson
Lurking Lions By Tim Gustafson EmptyFri Aug 10, 2018 11:42 am by LesBrewer

» What does the Bible say about pettiness?
Lurking Lions By Tim Gustafson EmptyFri Aug 10, 2018 11:03 am by LesBrewer

» A Good Daddy By Xochitl Dixon
Lurking Lions By Tim Gustafson EmptyThu Aug 09, 2018 1:57 am by LesBrewer

» Num 22:28-29
Lurking Lions By Tim Gustafson EmptyWed Aug 08, 2018 10:32 pm by clark thompson

» When the Bottom Drops Out By Poh Fang Chia
Lurking Lions By Tim Gustafson EmptyTue Aug 07, 2018 3:22 pm by LesBrewer

» The Joy of Giving By Leslie Koh
Lurking Lions By Tim Gustafson EmptyMon Aug 06, 2018 4:34 pm by LesBrewer

» Hard Mysteries By Amy Boucher Pye
Lurking Lions By Tim Gustafson EmptySun Aug 05, 2018 6:05 pm by LesBrewer

» Forgiven?
Lurking Lions By Tim Gustafson EmptySun Aug 05, 2018 5:42 pm by LesBrewer

May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Location Map
Bible Search
Search the Bible:

Examples: Psalm 27; John 15
love one another; Psalm 23

WEEKLY WISDOM

You are not connected. Please login or register

Lurking Lions By Tim Gustafson

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Lurking Lions By Tim Gustafson Empty Lurking Lions By Tim Gustafson Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:48 am

LesBrewer

LesBrewer

Lurking Lions By Tim Gustafson

Lurking Lions By Tim Gustafson 02-770x425

Read: Numbers 14:1–9

The Lord is with us. Do not be afraid of them.

Numbers 14:9

When I was young, my dad would “scare” us by hiding in the bush and growling like a lion. Even though we lived in rural Ghana in the 1960s, it was almost impossible that a lion lurked nearby. My brother and I would laugh and seek out the source of the noise, thrilled that playtime with Dad had arrived.

One day a young friend came for a visit. As we played, we heard the familiar growl. Our friend screamed and ran. My brother and I knew the sound of my father’s voice—any “danger” was merely a phantom lion—but a funny thing happened. We ran with her. My dad felt terrible that our friend had been frightened, and my brother and I learned not to be influenced by the panicked reaction of others.

Caleb and Joshua stand out as men unfazed by the panic of others. As Israel was poised to enter the Promised Land, Moses commissioned 12 scouts to spy out the region. They all saw a beautiful territory, but 10 focused on the obstacles and discouraged the entire nation (Num. 13:27-33). In the process, they started a panic (14:1-4). Only Caleb and Joshua accurately assessed the situation (vv. 6-9). They knew the history of their Father and trusted Him to bring them success.

Some “lions” pose a genuine threat. Others are phantoms. Regardless, as followers of Jesus our confidence is in the One whose voice and deeds we know and trust.

Lord, we face many fears today. Help us distinguish between real danger and empty threats, and help us trust You with all of it. May we live not in fear, but in faith.

The wicked flee though no one pursues, but the righteous are as bold as a lion. Proverbs 28:1

INSIGHT:

Twelve spies were sent to survey the land (Num. 13:17–20). They reported that the cities were well fortified and the people were of such great size that the spies felt like grasshoppers (vv. 28–33). This instilled fear and mistrust in the Israelites (14:1–4; Josh. 14:8). But Joshua and Caleb encouraged the people to trust God for protection (Num. 14:9).

Numbers 14:1-9 King James Version (KJV)

14 And all the congregation lifted up their voice, and cried; and the people wept that night.

2 And all the children of Israel murmured against Moses and against Aaron: and the whole congregation said unto them, Would God that we had died in the land of Egypt! or would God we had died in this wilderness!

3 And wherefore hath the Lord brought us unto this land, to fall by the sword, that our wives and our children should be a prey? were it not better for us to return into Egypt?

4 And they said one to another, Let us make a captain, and let us return into Egypt.

5 Then Moses and Aaron fell on their faces before all the assembly of the congregation of the children of Israel.

6 And Joshua the son of Nun, and Caleb the son of Jephunneh, which were of them that searched the land, rent their clothes:

7 And they spake unto all the company of the children of Israel, saying, The land, which we passed through to search it, is an exceeding good land.

8 If the Lord delight in us, then he will bring us into this land, and give it us; a land which floweth with milk and honey.

9 Only rebel not ye against the Lord, neither fear ye the people of the land; for they are bread for us: their defence is departed from them, and the Lord is with us: fear them not.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum