Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Join our study and walk through the Bible with us.

Latest topics
» Num 22:39-40
Easter Start By Philip Yancey EmptyTue Nov 06, 2018 3:43 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:27-28
Easter Start By Philip Yancey EmptyTue Oct 30, 2018 3:43 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:26
Easter Start By Philip Yancey EmptyTue Oct 23, 2018 4:04 am by clark thompson

» Num 22:37-38
Easter Start By Philip Yancey EmptyTue Oct 16, 2018 3:31 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:24-25
Easter Start By Philip Yancey EmptyTue Oct 09, 2018 4:08 am by clark thompson

» Num 22:30-32
Easter Start By Philip Yancey EmptyWed Aug 22, 2018 4:16 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:13-15
Easter Start By Philip Yancey EmptyTue Aug 14, 2018 3:36 am by clark thompson

» A Hopeful Lament By Amy Peterson
Easter Start By Philip Yancey EmptyFri Aug 10, 2018 11:42 am by LesBrewer

» What does the Bible say about pettiness?
Easter Start By Philip Yancey EmptyFri Aug 10, 2018 11:03 am by LesBrewer

» A Good Daddy By Xochitl Dixon
Easter Start By Philip Yancey EmptyThu Aug 09, 2018 1:57 am by LesBrewer

» Num 22:28-29
Easter Start By Philip Yancey EmptyWed Aug 08, 2018 10:32 pm by clark thompson

» When the Bottom Drops Out By Poh Fang Chia
Easter Start By Philip Yancey EmptyTue Aug 07, 2018 3:22 pm by LesBrewer

» The Joy of Giving By Leslie Koh
Easter Start By Philip Yancey EmptyMon Aug 06, 2018 4:34 pm by LesBrewer

» Hard Mysteries By Amy Boucher Pye
Easter Start By Philip Yancey EmptySun Aug 05, 2018 6:05 pm by LesBrewer

» Forgiven?
Easter Start By Philip Yancey EmptySun Aug 05, 2018 5:42 pm by LesBrewer

May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Location Map
Bible Search
Search the Bible:

Examples: Psalm 27; John 15
love one another; Psalm 23

WEEKLY WISDOM

You are not connected. Please login or register

Easter Start By Philip Yancey

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Easter Start By Philip Yancey Empty Easter Start By Philip Yancey Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:50 am

LesBrewer

LesBrewer

Easter Start By Philip Yancey

Easter Start By Philip Yancey 27-770x425

Read: John 20:24-31

Reach out your hand and put it into my side. Stop doubting and believe.

John 20:27

One detail in the Easter story has always intrigued me. Why did Jesus keep the scars from His crucifixion? Presumably He could have had any resurrected body He wanted, and yet He chose one identifiable mainly by scars that could be seen and touched. Why?

I believe the story of Easter would be incomplete without those scars on the hands, the feet, and the side of Jesus (John 20:27). Human beings dream of pearly straight teeth and wrinkle-free skin and ideal body shapes. We dream of an unnatural state: the perfect body. But for Jesus, being confined in a skeleton and human skin was the unnatural state. The scars are a permanent reminder of His days of confinement and suffering on our planet.

From the perspective of heaven, those scars represent the most horrible event that has ever happened in the history of the universe. Even that event, though, turned into a memory. Because of Easter, we can hope that the tears we shed, the struggles we endure, the emotional pain, the heartache over lost friends and loved ones—all these will become memories, like Jesus’ scars. Scars never completely go away, but neither do they hurt any longer. Someday we will have re-created bodies and a re-created heaven and earth (Rev. 21:4). We will have a new start, an Easter start.

Thank You, Lord, for the hope that the resurrection of Jesus brings—for now and for eternity. I put my trust in You today.

Christ’s resurrection is the guarantee of our own.

INSIGHT:

Thomas is a disciple about whom we know very little. He is mentioned only a few times in the biblical record, and he himself speaks only in three places. Many point to Thomas’s first recorded words as a strong statement of faith and commitment to Jesus: “Let us also go, that we may die with him” (John 11:16).

John 20:24-31 King James Version (KJV)

24 But Thomas, one of the twelve, called Didymus, was not with them when Jesus came.

25 The other disciples therefore said unto him, We have seen the Lord. But he said unto them, Except I shall see in his hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and thrust my hand into his side, I will not believe.

26 And after eight days again his disciples were within, and Thomas with them: then came Jesus, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said, Peace be unto you.

27 Then saith he to Thomas, Reach hither thy finger, and behold my hands; and reach hither thy hand, and thrust it into my side: and be not faithless, but believing.

28 And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God.

29 Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.

30 And many other signs truly did Jesus in the presence of his disciples, which are not written in this book:

31 But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum