Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Join our study and walk through the Bible with us.

Latest topics
» Num 22:39-40
Take Heart! By David Roper EmptyTue Nov 06, 2018 3:43 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:27-28
Take Heart! By David Roper EmptyTue Oct 30, 2018 3:43 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:26
Take Heart! By David Roper EmptyTue Oct 23, 2018 4:04 am by clark thompson

» Num 22:37-38
Take Heart! By David Roper EmptyTue Oct 16, 2018 3:31 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:24-25
Take Heart! By David Roper EmptyTue Oct 09, 2018 4:08 am by clark thompson

» Num 22:30-32
Take Heart! By David Roper EmptyWed Aug 22, 2018 4:16 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:13-15
Take Heart! By David Roper EmptyTue Aug 14, 2018 3:36 am by clark thompson

» A Hopeful Lament By Amy Peterson
Take Heart! By David Roper EmptyFri Aug 10, 2018 11:42 am by LesBrewer

» What does the Bible say about pettiness?
Take Heart! By David Roper EmptyFri Aug 10, 2018 11:03 am by LesBrewer

» A Good Daddy By Xochitl Dixon
Take Heart! By David Roper EmptyThu Aug 09, 2018 1:57 am by LesBrewer

» Num 22:28-29
Take Heart! By David Roper EmptyWed Aug 08, 2018 10:32 pm by clark thompson

» When the Bottom Drops Out By Poh Fang Chia
Take Heart! By David Roper EmptyTue Aug 07, 2018 3:22 pm by LesBrewer

» The Joy of Giving By Leslie Koh
Take Heart! By David Roper EmptyMon Aug 06, 2018 4:34 pm by LesBrewer

» Hard Mysteries By Amy Boucher Pye
Take Heart! By David Roper EmptySun Aug 05, 2018 6:05 pm by LesBrewer

» Forgiven?
Take Heart! By David Roper EmptySun Aug 05, 2018 5:42 pm by LesBrewer

May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Location Map
Bible Search
Search the Bible:

Examples: Psalm 27; John 15
love one another; Psalm 23

WEEKLY WISDOM

You are not connected. Please login or register

Take Heart! By David Roper

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Take Heart! By David Roper Empty Take Heart! By David Roper Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:02 am

LesBrewer

LesBrewer

Take Heart! By David Roper

Take Heart! By David Roper 09-770x425

Read: 2 Corinthians 4:8-18

In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world. John 16:33

I like to watch birds at play, so years ago I built a small sanctuary in our backyard to attract them. For several months I enjoyed the sight of my feathered friends feeding and flitting about—until a Cooper’s Hawk made my bird refuge his private hunting reserve.

Such is life: Just about the time we settle down to take our ease, something or someone comes along to unsettle our nests. Why, we ask, must so much of life be a vale of tears?

I’ve heard many answers to that old question, but lately I’m satisfied with just one: “All the discipline of the world is to make [us] children, that God may be revealed to [us]” (George MacDonald, Life Essential). When we become like children, we begin trusting, resting solely in the love of our Father in heaven, seeking to know Him and to be like Him.

Cares and sorrow may follow us all the days of our lives, but “we do not lose heart. . . . For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal” (2 Cor. 4:16-18).

Can we not rejoice, then, with such an end in view?

Lord, we do rejoice even in our struggles because we are rejoicing in who You are and Your good purposes for us. You are powerful, loving, in control, and eternal. We trust You and love You.

Heaven’s delights will far outweigh earth’s difficulties.

INSIGHT:

Despite today’s text telling the story of Paul’s suffering as a follower of Christ, it also carries an implicit message of hope in the phrase “but not” (vv. 8–9). Though Paul suffered in a variety of ways, he was not overwhelmed by his experiences. His hope—and ours—is expressed in verse 17: “Our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all.” Bill Crowder

2 Corinthians 4:8-18 King James Version (KJV)

8 We are troubled on every side, yet not distressed; we are perplexed, but not in despair;

9 Persecuted, but not forsaken; cast down, but not destroyed;

10 Always bearing about in the body the dying of the Lord Jesus, that the life also of Jesus might be made manifest in our body.

11 For we which live are always delivered unto death for Jesus' sake, that the life also of Jesus might be made manifest in our mortal flesh.

12 So then death worketh in us, but life in you.

13 We having the same spirit of faith, according as it is written, I believed, and therefore have I spoken; we also believe, and therefore speak;

14 Knowing that he which raised up the Lord Jesus shall raise up us also by Jesus, and shall present us with you.

15 For all things are for your sakes, that the abundant grace might through the thanksgiving of many redound to the glory of God.

16 For which cause we faint not; but though our outward man perish, yet the inward man is renewed day by day.

17 For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory;

18 While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum