Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Join our study and walk through the Bible with us.

Latest topics
» Num 22:39-40
An Amazing Love By Dave Branon EmptyTue Nov 06, 2018 3:43 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:27-28
An Amazing Love By Dave Branon EmptyTue Oct 30, 2018 3:43 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:26
An Amazing Love By Dave Branon EmptyTue Oct 23, 2018 4:04 am by clark thompson

» Num 22:37-38
An Amazing Love By Dave Branon EmptyTue Oct 16, 2018 3:31 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:24-25
An Amazing Love By Dave Branon EmptyTue Oct 09, 2018 4:08 am by clark thompson

» Num 22:30-32
An Amazing Love By Dave Branon EmptyWed Aug 22, 2018 4:16 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:13-15
An Amazing Love By Dave Branon EmptyTue Aug 14, 2018 3:36 am by clark thompson

» A Hopeful Lament By Amy Peterson
An Amazing Love By Dave Branon EmptyFri Aug 10, 2018 11:42 am by LesBrewer

» What does the Bible say about pettiness?
An Amazing Love By Dave Branon EmptyFri Aug 10, 2018 11:03 am by LesBrewer

» A Good Daddy By Xochitl Dixon
An Amazing Love By Dave Branon EmptyThu Aug 09, 2018 1:57 am by LesBrewer

» Num 22:28-29
An Amazing Love By Dave Branon EmptyWed Aug 08, 2018 10:32 pm by clark thompson

» When the Bottom Drops Out By Poh Fang Chia
An Amazing Love By Dave Branon EmptyTue Aug 07, 2018 3:22 pm by LesBrewer

» The Joy of Giving By Leslie Koh
An Amazing Love By Dave Branon EmptyMon Aug 06, 2018 4:34 pm by LesBrewer

» Hard Mysteries By Amy Boucher Pye
An Amazing Love By Dave Branon EmptySun Aug 05, 2018 6:05 pm by LesBrewer

» Forgiven?
An Amazing Love By Dave Branon EmptySun Aug 05, 2018 5:42 pm by LesBrewer

May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Location Map
Bible Search
Search the Bible:

Examples: Psalm 27; John 15
love one another; Psalm 23

WEEKLY WISDOM

You are not connected. Please login or register

An Amazing Love By Dave Branon

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1An Amazing Love By Dave Branon Empty An Amazing Love By Dave Branon Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:56 am

LesBrewer

LesBrewer

An Amazing Love By Dave Branon

An Amazing Love By Dave Branon 28-770x425

Read: Malachi 1:1-10; 4:5-6

“I have loved you,” says the Lord. Malachi 1:2

The final major historic acts of the Old Testament are described in Ezra and Nehemiah as God allowed the people of Israel to return from exile and resettle in Jerusalem. The City of David was repopulated with Hebrew families, a new temple was built, and the wall was repaired.

And that brings us to Malachi. This prophet, who was most likely a contemporary of Nehemiah, brings the written portion of the Old Testament to a close. Notice the first thing he said to the people of Israel: “ ‘I have loved you,’ says the Lord.” And look at their response: “How have you loved us?” (1:2).

Amazing, isn’t it? Their history had proven God’s faithfulness, yet after hundreds of years in which God continually provided for His chosen people in both miraculous and mundane ways, they wondered how He had shown His love. As the book continues, Malachi reminds the people of their unfaithfulness (see vv. 6-8). They had a long historical pattern of God’s provision for them, followed by their disobedience, followed by God’s discipline.

It was time, soon, for a new way. The prophet hints at it in Malachi 4:5-6. The Messiah would be coming. There was hope ahead for a Savior who would show us His love and pay the penalty once and for all for our sin.

That Messiah indeed has come! Malachi’s hope is now a reality in Jesus.

Thank You, Father, for the story You told in Your Word of the people of Israel. It reminds us to be grateful for what You have done for us. Thank You for loving us so much You sent us Jesus.

Those who put their trust in Jesus will have eternal life.

Malachi 1:1-10 King James Version (KJV)

1 The burden of the word of the Lord to Israel by Malachi.

2 I have loved you, saith the Lord. Yet ye say, Wherein hast thou loved us? Was not Esau Jacob's brother? saith the Lord: yet I loved Jacob,

3 And I hated Esau, and laid his mountains and his heritage waste for the dragons of the wilderness.

4 Whereas Edom saith, We are impoverished, but we will return and build the desolate places; thus saith the Lord of hosts, They shall build, but I will throw down; and they shall call them, The border of wickedness, and, The people against whom the Lord hath indignation for ever.

5 And your eyes shall see, and ye shall say, The Lord will be magnified from the border of Israel.

6 A son honoureth his father, and a servant his master: if then I be a father, where is mine honour? and if I be a master, where is my fear? saith the Lord of hosts unto you, O priests, that despise my name. And ye say, Wherein have we despised thy name?

7 Ye offer polluted bread upon mine altar; and ye say, Wherein have we polluted thee? In that ye say, The table of the Lord is contemptible.

8 And if ye offer the blind for sacrifice, is it not evil? and if ye offer the lame and sick, is it not evil? offer it now unto thy governor; will he be pleased with thee, or accept thy person? saith the Lord of hosts.

9 And now, I pray you, beseech God that he will be gracious unto us: this hath been by your means: will he regard your persons? saith the Lord of hosts.

10 Who is there even among you that would shut the doors for nought? neither do ye kindle fire on mine altar for nought. I have no pleasure in you, saith the Lord of hosts, neither will I accept an offering at your hand.

Malachi 4:5-6 King James Version (KJV)

5 Behold, I will send you Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and dreadful day of the Lord:

6 And he shall turn the heart of the fathers to the children, and the heart of the children to their fathers, lest I come and smite the earth with a curse.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum