Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Join our study and walk through the Bible with us.

Latest topics
» Num 22:39-40
Better By Far Jennifer Benson Schuldt EmptyTue Nov 06, 2018 3:43 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:27-28
Better By Far Jennifer Benson Schuldt EmptyTue Oct 30, 2018 3:43 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:26
Better By Far Jennifer Benson Schuldt EmptyTue Oct 23, 2018 4:04 am by clark thompson

» Num 22:37-38
Better By Far Jennifer Benson Schuldt EmptyTue Oct 16, 2018 3:31 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:24-25
Better By Far Jennifer Benson Schuldt EmptyTue Oct 09, 2018 4:08 am by clark thompson

» Num 22:30-32
Better By Far Jennifer Benson Schuldt EmptyWed Aug 22, 2018 4:16 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:13-15
Better By Far Jennifer Benson Schuldt EmptyTue Aug 14, 2018 3:36 am by clark thompson

» A Hopeful Lament By Amy Peterson
Better By Far Jennifer Benson Schuldt EmptyFri Aug 10, 2018 11:42 am by LesBrewer

» What does the Bible say about pettiness?
Better By Far Jennifer Benson Schuldt EmptyFri Aug 10, 2018 11:03 am by LesBrewer

» A Good Daddy By Xochitl Dixon
Better By Far Jennifer Benson Schuldt EmptyThu Aug 09, 2018 1:57 am by LesBrewer

» Num 22:28-29
Better By Far Jennifer Benson Schuldt EmptyWed Aug 08, 2018 10:32 pm by clark thompson

» When the Bottom Drops Out By Poh Fang Chia
Better By Far Jennifer Benson Schuldt EmptyTue Aug 07, 2018 3:22 pm by LesBrewer

» The Joy of Giving By Leslie Koh
Better By Far Jennifer Benson Schuldt EmptyMon Aug 06, 2018 4:34 pm by LesBrewer

» Hard Mysteries By Amy Boucher Pye
Better By Far Jennifer Benson Schuldt EmptySun Aug 05, 2018 6:05 pm by LesBrewer

» Forgiven?
Better By Far Jennifer Benson Schuldt EmptySun Aug 05, 2018 5:42 pm by LesBrewer

May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Location Map
Bible Search
Search the Bible:

Examples: Psalm 27; John 15
love one another; Psalm 23

WEEKLY WISDOM

You are not connected. Please login or register

Better By Far Jennifer Benson Schuldt

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Better By Far Jennifer Benson Schuldt Empty Better By Far Jennifer Benson Schuldt Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:37 am

LesBrewer

LesBrewer

Better By Far Jennifer Benson Schuldt

Better By Far Jennifer Benson Schuldt Odbdevo_20160608

Read: Philippians 1:12-26

I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far. —Philippians 1:23

A siren wailed outside a little boy’s house. Unfamiliar with the sound, he asked his mother what it was. She explained that it was meant to alert people of a dangerous storm. She said that if people did not take cover, they might die as a result of the tornado. The boy replied, “Mommy, why is that a bad thing? If we die, don’t we meet Jesus?”

Little children don’t always understand what it means to die. But Paul, who had a lifetime of experience, wrote something similar: “I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far” (Phil. 1:23). The apostle was under house arrest at the time, but his statement wasn’t fueled by despair. He was rejoicing because his suffering was causing the gospel to spread (vv. 12-14).

So why would Paul be torn between a desire for life and death? Because to go on living would mean “fruitful labor.” But if he died he knew he would enjoy a special kind of closeness with Christ. To be absent from our bodies is to be home with the Lord (2 Cor. 5:6-8).

People who believe in the saving power of Jesus’s death and resurrection will be with Him forever. It’s been said, “All’s well that ends in heaven.” Whether we live or die, we win. “For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain” (Phil. 1:21). —Jennifer Benson Schuldt

Dear Jesus, help me to keep my eyes on You, whether I face difficulty in life or death. Let me find security and peace in You.

Belief in Jesus's death and resurrection brings the assurance of life with Him forever.

Philippians 1:12-26 (KJV)

12 But I would ye should understand, brethren, that the things which happened unto me have fallen out rather unto the furtherance of the gospel;

13 So that my bonds in Christ are manifest in all the palace, and in all other places;

14 And many of the brethren in the Lord, waxing confident by my bonds, are much more bold to speak the word without fear.

15 Some indeed preach Christ even of envy and strife; and some also of good will:

16 The one preach Christ of contention, not sincerely, supposing to add affliction to my bonds:

17 But the other of love, knowing that I am set for the defence of the gospel.

18 What then? notwithstanding, every way, whether in pretence, or in truth, Christ is preached; and I therein do rejoice, yea, and will rejoice.

19 For I know that this shall turn to my salvation through your prayer, and the supply of the Spirit of Jesus Christ,

20 According to my earnest expectation and my hope, that in nothing I shall be ashamed, but that with all boldness, as always, so now also Christ shall be magnified in my body, whether it be by life, or by death.

21 For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.

22 But if I live in the flesh, this is the fruit of my labour: yet what I shall choose I wot not.

23 For I am in a strait betwixt two, having a desire to depart, and to be with Christ; which is far better:

24 Nevertheless to abide in the flesh is more needful for you.

25 And having this confidence, I know that I shall abide and continue with you all for your furtherance and joy of faith;

26 That your rejoicing may be more abundant in Jesus Christ for me by my coming to you again.
King James Version (KJV)

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum