Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Join our study and walk through the Bible with us.

Latest topics
» Num 22:39-40
God of the Ordinary By Joe Stowell EmptyTue Nov 06, 2018 3:43 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:27-28
God of the Ordinary By Joe Stowell EmptyTue Oct 30, 2018 3:43 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:26
God of the Ordinary By Joe Stowell EmptyTue Oct 23, 2018 4:04 am by clark thompson

» Num 22:37-38
God of the Ordinary By Joe Stowell EmptyTue Oct 16, 2018 3:31 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:24-25
God of the Ordinary By Joe Stowell EmptyTue Oct 09, 2018 4:08 am by clark thompson

» Num 22:30-32
God of the Ordinary By Joe Stowell EmptyWed Aug 22, 2018 4:16 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:13-15
God of the Ordinary By Joe Stowell EmptyTue Aug 14, 2018 3:36 am by clark thompson

» A Hopeful Lament By Amy Peterson
God of the Ordinary By Joe Stowell EmptyFri Aug 10, 2018 11:42 am by LesBrewer

» What does the Bible say about pettiness?
God of the Ordinary By Joe Stowell EmptyFri Aug 10, 2018 11:03 am by LesBrewer

» A Good Daddy By Xochitl Dixon
God of the Ordinary By Joe Stowell EmptyThu Aug 09, 2018 1:57 am by LesBrewer

» Num 22:28-29
God of the Ordinary By Joe Stowell EmptyWed Aug 08, 2018 10:32 pm by clark thompson

» When the Bottom Drops Out By Poh Fang Chia
God of the Ordinary By Joe Stowell EmptyTue Aug 07, 2018 3:22 pm by LesBrewer

» The Joy of Giving By Leslie Koh
God of the Ordinary By Joe Stowell EmptyMon Aug 06, 2018 4:34 pm by LesBrewer

» Hard Mysteries By Amy Boucher Pye
God of the Ordinary By Joe Stowell EmptySun Aug 05, 2018 6:05 pm by LesBrewer

» Forgiven?
God of the Ordinary By Joe Stowell EmptySun Aug 05, 2018 5:42 pm by LesBrewer

May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Location Map
Bible Search
Search the Bible:

Examples: Psalm 27; John 15
love one another; Psalm 23

WEEKLY WISDOM

You are not connected. Please login or register

God of the Ordinary By Joe Stowell

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1God of the Ordinary By Joe Stowell Empty God of the Ordinary By Joe Stowell Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:14 am

LesBrewer

LesBrewer

God of the Ordinary By Joe Stowell

God of the Ordinary By Joe Stowell 14-770x425

Read: Genesis 12:1–4; 17:1–2

He will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. 1 Corinthians 10:13

Hearing testimonies about how God did something spectacular in someone else’s life can challenge us. While we may rejoice to hear about answers to prayer, we may also wonder why God hasn’t done anything amazing for us lately.

It’s easy to think that if God showed up in astonishing ways for us like He did for Abraham, then we would be more inspired to be faithful servants of God. But then we remember that God showed up for Abraham every 12 to 14 years, and most of Abraham’s journey was rather ordinary (see Gen. 12:1–4; 15:1–6; 16:16–17:12).

God’s work is usually done behind the scenes in the ordinary things of life. As 1 Corinthians 10 says, “He will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out.” Every day God is busy shielding us from devastating onslaughts of Satan that would otherwise leave us helplessly defeated. And when temptation hits, He is making exit ramps for us so we can escape.

When we put our head on the pillow at night, we should pause to thank God for the amazing things He has done for us that day in the midst of our ordinary lives. So, instead of longing for Him to do something spectacular for you, thank Him! He already has.

Lord, help me to be constantly aware that Your power and presence are with me even in the ordinary times in my life. Thank You for Your amazing work on my behalf that I know nothing about.

God is always in control behind the scenes, even on “ordinary” days.

INSIGHT:

Sometimes we read past the ages of individuals listed in the Bible, unless of course they are shocking in some way (such as Methuselah, who was 969 years old when he died [Gen. 5:27]). When only a few details are recorded, they should be given special attention. We can ask, Why is this here? Abraham’s age in verse four of today’s reading is one such detail. Abraham was 75 when he answered the call to follow God. He grew up in an idolatrous society and a pagan home (Josh. 24:2). Perhaps the reason his age is listed is to show that God calls each person when and how He wills. To us it makes more sense to call a person to travel a great distance and start a large family when he or she is young. But the timing is God’s, even if it doesn’t make sense to us.

Genesis 12:1-4 King James Version (KJV)

12 Now the Lord had said unto Abram, Get thee out of thy country, and from thy kindred, and from thy father's house, unto a land that I will shew thee:

2 And I will make of thee a great nation, and I will bless thee, and make thy name great; and thou shalt be a blessing:

3 And I will bless them that bless thee, and curse him that curseth thee: and in thee shall all families of the earth be blessed.

4 So Abram departed, as the Lord had spoken unto him; and Lot went with him: and Abram was seventy and five years old when he departed out of Haran.

Genesis 17:1-2 King James Version (KJV)

17 And when Abram was ninety years old and nine, the Lord appeared to Abram, and said unto him, I am the Almighty God; walk before me, and be thou perfect.

2 And I will make my covenant between me and thee, and will multiply thee exceedingly.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum