Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Join our study and walk through the Bible with us.

Latest topics
» Num 22:39-40
Learning to Love By Poh Fang Chia EmptyTue Nov 06, 2018 3:43 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:27-28
Learning to Love By Poh Fang Chia EmptyTue Oct 30, 2018 3:43 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:26
Learning to Love By Poh Fang Chia EmptyTue Oct 23, 2018 4:04 am by clark thompson

» Num 22:37-38
Learning to Love By Poh Fang Chia EmptyTue Oct 16, 2018 3:31 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:24-25
Learning to Love By Poh Fang Chia EmptyTue Oct 09, 2018 4:08 am by clark thompson

» Num 22:30-32
Learning to Love By Poh Fang Chia EmptyWed Aug 22, 2018 4:16 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:13-15
Learning to Love By Poh Fang Chia EmptyTue Aug 14, 2018 3:36 am by clark thompson

» A Hopeful Lament By Amy Peterson
Learning to Love By Poh Fang Chia EmptyFri Aug 10, 2018 11:42 am by LesBrewer

» What does the Bible say about pettiness?
Learning to Love By Poh Fang Chia EmptyFri Aug 10, 2018 11:03 am by LesBrewer

» A Good Daddy By Xochitl Dixon
Learning to Love By Poh Fang Chia EmptyThu Aug 09, 2018 1:57 am by LesBrewer

» Num 22:28-29
Learning to Love By Poh Fang Chia EmptyWed Aug 08, 2018 10:32 pm by clark thompson

» When the Bottom Drops Out By Poh Fang Chia
Learning to Love By Poh Fang Chia EmptyTue Aug 07, 2018 3:22 pm by LesBrewer

» The Joy of Giving By Leslie Koh
Learning to Love By Poh Fang Chia EmptyMon Aug 06, 2018 4:34 pm by LesBrewer

» Hard Mysteries By Amy Boucher Pye
Learning to Love By Poh Fang Chia EmptySun Aug 05, 2018 6:05 pm by LesBrewer

» Forgiven?
Learning to Love By Poh Fang Chia EmptySun Aug 05, 2018 5:42 pm by LesBrewer

May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Location Map
Bible Search
Search the Bible:

Examples: Psalm 27; John 15
love one another; Psalm 23

WEEKLY WISDOM

You are not connected. Please login or register

Learning to Love By Poh Fang Chia

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Learning to Love By Poh Fang Chia Empty Learning to Love By Poh Fang Chia Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:00 am

LesBrewer

LesBrewer

Learning to Love By Poh Fang Chia

Learning to Love By Poh Fang Chia 21-770x425

Read: 1 Corinthians 13

Follow the way of love. 1 Corinthians 14:1

Love does more than make “the world go round,” as an old song says. It also makes us immensely vulnerable. From time to time, we may say to ourselves: “Why love when others do not show appreciation?” or “Why love and open myself up to hurt?” But the apostle Paul gives a clear and simple reason to pursue love: “These three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love. Follow the way of love” (1 Cor. 13:13–14:1).

“Love is an activity, the essential activity of God himself,” writes Bible commentator C. K. Barrett, “and when men love either Him or their fellow-men, they are doing (however imperfectly) what God does.” And God is pleased when we act like Him.

To begin following the way of love, think about how you might live out the characteristics listed in 1 Corinthians 13:4–7. For example, how can I show my child the same patience God shows me? How can I show kindness and respect for my parents? What does it mean to look out for the interests of others when I am at work? When something good happens to my friend, do I rejoice with her or am I envious?

As we “follow the way of love,” we’ll find ourselves often turning to God, the source of love, and to Jesus, the greatest example of love. Only then will we gain a deeper knowledge of what true love is and find the strength to love others like God loves us.

God, thank You that You are love and that You love me so much. Help me to love others the way Jesus showed us so that the whole world will know I am Your child.

Love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. 1 John 4:7

INSIGHT:

Love has been defined as sacrificial giving of one’s time, money, or energy while expecting nothing in return. Certainly this definition is a good starting point. But today’s inspired reading explores a deeper love, one that is demonstrated through a heart yielded to God.

1 Corinthians 13 King James Version (KJV)

13 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.

3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.

4 Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,

5 Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;

6 Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth;

7 Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.

8 Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.

9 For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.

10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.

11 When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

12 For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

13 And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum