Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Join our study and walk through the Bible with us.

Latest topics
» Num 22:39-40
A Firm Place to Stand By Bill Crowder EmptyTue Nov 06, 2018 3:43 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:27-28
A Firm Place to Stand By Bill Crowder EmptyTue Oct 30, 2018 3:43 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:26
A Firm Place to Stand By Bill Crowder EmptyTue Oct 23, 2018 4:04 am by clark thompson

» Num 22:37-38
A Firm Place to Stand By Bill Crowder EmptyTue Oct 16, 2018 3:31 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:24-25
A Firm Place to Stand By Bill Crowder EmptyTue Oct 09, 2018 4:08 am by clark thompson

» Num 22:30-32
A Firm Place to Stand By Bill Crowder EmptyWed Aug 22, 2018 4:16 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:13-15
A Firm Place to Stand By Bill Crowder EmptyTue Aug 14, 2018 3:36 am by clark thompson

» A Hopeful Lament By Amy Peterson
A Firm Place to Stand By Bill Crowder EmptyFri Aug 10, 2018 11:42 am by LesBrewer

» What does the Bible say about pettiness?
A Firm Place to Stand By Bill Crowder EmptyFri Aug 10, 2018 11:03 am by LesBrewer

» A Good Daddy By Xochitl Dixon
A Firm Place to Stand By Bill Crowder EmptyThu Aug 09, 2018 1:57 am by LesBrewer

» Num 22:28-29
A Firm Place to Stand By Bill Crowder EmptyWed Aug 08, 2018 10:32 pm by clark thompson

» When the Bottom Drops Out By Poh Fang Chia
A Firm Place to Stand By Bill Crowder EmptyTue Aug 07, 2018 3:22 pm by LesBrewer

» The Joy of Giving By Leslie Koh
A Firm Place to Stand By Bill Crowder EmptyMon Aug 06, 2018 4:34 pm by LesBrewer

» Hard Mysteries By Amy Boucher Pye
A Firm Place to Stand By Bill Crowder EmptySun Aug 05, 2018 6:05 pm by LesBrewer

» Forgiven?
A Firm Place to Stand By Bill Crowder EmptySun Aug 05, 2018 5:42 pm by LesBrewer

May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Location Map
Bible Search
Search the Bible:

Examples: Psalm 27; John 15
love one another; Psalm 23

WEEKLY WISDOM

You are not connected. Please login or register

A Firm Place to Stand By Bill Crowder

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1A Firm Place to Stand By Bill Crowder Empty A Firm Place to Stand By Bill Crowder Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:03 am

LesBrewer

LesBrewer

A Firm Place to Stand By Bill Crowder

A Firm Place to Stand By Bill Crowder 25-770x425

Read: Psalm 40:1–5

He lifted me out of the slimy pit; out of the mud and mire, he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand. Psalm 40:2

The historic riverwalk area of Savannah, Georgia, is paved with mismatched cobblestones. Local residents say that centuries ago the stones provided ballast for ships as they crossed the Atlantic Ocean. When cargo was loaded in Georgia, the ballast stones were no longer needed, so they were used to pave the streets near the docks. Those stones had accomplished their primary job—stabilizing the ship through dangerous waters.

The days in which we live can feel as turbulent as the high seas. Like sailing ships of old, we need stability to help us navigate our way through the storms of life. David faced danger as well, and he celebrated the character of God for providing him with stability after he had endured a desperate time. He declared, “He lifted me out of the slimy pit; out of the mud and mire, he set my feet on a rock, and gave me a firm place to stand” (Ps. 40:2). David’s experience was one of conflict, personal failure, and family strife, yet God gave him a place to stand. So David sang “a hymn of praise to our God” (v. 3).

In times of difficulty, we too can look to our powerful God for the stability only He brings. His faithful care inspires us to say with David, “Many, Lord my God, are the wonders you have done, the things you planned for us” (v. 5).

My hope is built on nothing less than Jesus’s blood and righteousness; I dare not trust the sweetest frame, but wholly lean on Jesus’s name. On Christ, the solid rock, I stand—all other ground is sinking sand. Edward Mote

When the world around us is crumbling, Christ is the solid Rock on which we stand.

INSIGHT:

Psalm 40 is a beautiful song of thanksgiving to God for His deliverance. The key to understanding and appreciating this psalm is seen in the simplicity of the opening words. David knows and celebrates the deliverance of the Lord because he “waited patiently” for Him (v. 1). In our times of trial and struggle, we want to be delivered quickly and in ways that are simple to see. But David reminds us that God’s deliverance comes in God’s timing. We, like David, must wait patiently for the Lord if we are to see His wonders (v. 5).

Psalm 40:1-5 King James Version (KJV)

40 I waited patiently for the Lord; and he inclined unto me, and heard my cry.

2 He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings.

3 And he hath put a new song in my mouth, even praise unto our God: many shall see it, and fear, and shall trust in the Lord.

4 Blessed is that man that maketh the Lord his trust, and respecteth not the proud, nor such as turn aside to lies.

5 Many, O Lord my God, are thy wonderful works which thou hast done, and thy thoughts which are to us-ward: they cannot be reckoned up in order unto thee: if I would declare and speak of them, they are more than can be numbered.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum