Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Join our study and walk through the Bible with us.

Latest topics
» Num 22:39-40
On Being Known By Julie Ackerman  EmptyTue Nov 06, 2018 3:43 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:27-28
On Being Known By Julie Ackerman  EmptyTue Oct 30, 2018 3:43 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:26
On Being Known By Julie Ackerman  EmptyTue Oct 23, 2018 4:04 am by clark thompson

» Num 22:37-38
On Being Known By Julie Ackerman  EmptyTue Oct 16, 2018 3:31 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:24-25
On Being Known By Julie Ackerman  EmptyTue Oct 09, 2018 4:08 am by clark thompson

» Num 22:30-32
On Being Known By Julie Ackerman  EmptyWed Aug 22, 2018 4:16 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:13-15
On Being Known By Julie Ackerman  EmptyTue Aug 14, 2018 3:36 am by clark thompson

» A Hopeful Lament By Amy Peterson
On Being Known By Julie Ackerman  EmptyFri Aug 10, 2018 11:42 am by LesBrewer

» What does the Bible say about pettiness?
On Being Known By Julie Ackerman  EmptyFri Aug 10, 2018 11:03 am by LesBrewer

» A Good Daddy By Xochitl Dixon
On Being Known By Julie Ackerman  EmptyThu Aug 09, 2018 1:57 am by LesBrewer

» Num 22:28-29
On Being Known By Julie Ackerman  EmptyWed Aug 08, 2018 10:32 pm by clark thompson

» When the Bottom Drops Out By Poh Fang Chia
On Being Known By Julie Ackerman  EmptyTue Aug 07, 2018 3:22 pm by LesBrewer

» The Joy of Giving By Leslie Koh
On Being Known By Julie Ackerman  EmptyMon Aug 06, 2018 4:34 pm by LesBrewer

» Hard Mysteries By Amy Boucher Pye
On Being Known By Julie Ackerman  EmptySun Aug 05, 2018 6:05 pm by LesBrewer

» Forgiven?
On Being Known By Julie Ackerman  EmptySun Aug 05, 2018 5:42 pm by LesBrewer

April 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Location Map
Bible Search
Search the Bible:

Examples: Psalm 27; John 15
love one another; Psalm 23

WEEKLY WISDOM

You are not connected. Please login or register

On Being Known By Julie Ackerman

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1On Being Known By Julie Ackerman  Empty On Being Known By Julie Ackerman Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:24 am

LesBrewer

LesBrewer

[font size="3"]On Being Known By Julie Ackerman

Read: James 5:16-20

I acknowledged my sin to You . . . . I said, “I will confess my transgressions to the Lord,” and You forgave the iniquity of my sin. —Psalm 32:5

One of the most difficult inner conflicts we have is our desire to be known versus our fear of being known. As beings created in the image of God we are made to be known—known by God and also by others. Yet due to our fallen nature, all of us have sins and weaknesses that we don’t want others to know about. We use the phrase “dark side” to refer to aspects of our lives that we keep hidden. And we use slogans like “put your best foot forward” to encourage others to show their best side.

One reason we are unwilling to risk being known is that we fear rejection and ridicule. But when we discover that God knows us, loves us, and is willing to forgive even the worst thing we have done, our fear of being known by God begins to fade away. And when we find a community of believers who understands the dynamic relationship between forgiveness and confession, we feel safe confessing our sins to one another (James 5:16).

The life of faith is not about showing only our good side. It’s about exposing our dark side to the light of Christ through confession to God and also to others. In this way we can receive healing and live in the freedom of forgiveness.

Lord, help me to expose my sin,
Those secret wrongs that lurk within;
I would confess them all to Thee;
Transparent I would always be. —D. DeHaan
The voice of sin may be loud, but the voice of forgiveness is louder. —D. L. Moody

Insight
In James 5, James defines and describes the deep and intimate connection that should exist between Christian brothers and sisters. Confession (5:16) requires deep openness and revealing of that which we would rather hide—our sins. But James says that confession of sin is to be met with prayer, not judgment. He goes on to say that the healing mentioned in verse 16 is related to the covering of sins in verse 20. Confession must be coupled with a change of action. Without change, confession is merely a response to guilt feelings. Godly sorrow for sin leads to a different direction in life. When we hear others’ confessions, we help each other to continue on the path of righteousness.

James 5:16-20 King James Version (KJV)

16 Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.

17 Elias was a man subject to like passions as we are, and he prayed earnestly that it might not rain: and it rained not on the earth by the space of three years and six months.

18 And he prayed again, and the heaven gave rain, and the earth brought forth her fruit.

19 Brethren, if any of you do err from the truth, and one convert him;

20 Let him know, that he which converteth the sinner from the error of his way shall save a soul from death, and shall hide a multitude of sins.
[/font]

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum