Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Join our study and walk through the Bible with us.

Latest topics
» Num 22:39-40
An Emergency Of The Spirit By David C. McCasland EmptyTue Nov 06, 2018 3:43 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:27-28
An Emergency Of The Spirit By David C. McCasland EmptyTue Oct 30, 2018 3:43 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:26
An Emergency Of The Spirit By David C. McCasland EmptyTue Oct 23, 2018 4:04 am by clark thompson

» Num 22:37-38
An Emergency Of The Spirit By David C. McCasland EmptyTue Oct 16, 2018 3:31 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:24-25
An Emergency Of The Spirit By David C. McCasland EmptyTue Oct 09, 2018 4:08 am by clark thompson

» Num 22:30-32
An Emergency Of The Spirit By David C. McCasland EmptyWed Aug 22, 2018 4:16 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:13-15
An Emergency Of The Spirit By David C. McCasland EmptyTue Aug 14, 2018 3:36 am by clark thompson

» A Hopeful Lament By Amy Peterson
An Emergency Of The Spirit By David C. McCasland EmptyFri Aug 10, 2018 11:42 am by LesBrewer

» What does the Bible say about pettiness?
An Emergency Of The Spirit By David C. McCasland EmptyFri Aug 10, 2018 11:03 am by LesBrewer

» A Good Daddy By Xochitl Dixon
An Emergency Of The Spirit By David C. McCasland EmptyThu Aug 09, 2018 1:57 am by LesBrewer

» Num 22:28-29
An Emergency Of The Spirit By David C. McCasland EmptyWed Aug 08, 2018 10:32 pm by clark thompson

» When the Bottom Drops Out By Poh Fang Chia
An Emergency Of The Spirit By David C. McCasland EmptyTue Aug 07, 2018 3:22 pm by LesBrewer

» The Joy of Giving By Leslie Koh
An Emergency Of The Spirit By David C. McCasland EmptyMon Aug 06, 2018 4:34 pm by LesBrewer

» Hard Mysteries By Amy Boucher Pye
An Emergency Of The Spirit By David C. McCasland EmptySun Aug 05, 2018 6:05 pm by LesBrewer

» Forgiven?
An Emergency Of The Spirit By David C. McCasland EmptySun Aug 05, 2018 5:42 pm by LesBrewer

April 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Location Map
Bible Search
Search the Bible:

Examples: Psalm 27; John 15
love one another; Psalm 23

WEEKLY WISDOM

You are not connected. Please login or register

An Emergency Of The Spirit By David C. McCasland

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

LesBrewer

LesBrewer

An Emergency Of The Spirit By David C. McCasland/u]

Read: 2 Samuel 1:17-27
David lamented with this lamentation over Saul and over Jonathan his son. —2 Samuel 1:17

In March 2011, a devastating tsunami struck Japan, taking nearly 16,000 lives as it obliterated towns and villages along the coast. Writer and poet Gretel Erlich visited Japan to witness and document the destruction. When she felt inadequate to report what she was seeing, she wrote a poem about it. In a PBS NewsHour interview she said, “My old friend William Stafford, a poet now gone, said, ‘A poem is an emergency of the spirit.’”

We find poetry used throughout the Bible to express deep emotion, ranging from joyful praise to anguished loss. When King Saul and his son Jonathan were killed in battle, David was overwhelmed with grief (2 Sam. 1:1-12). He poured out his soul in a poem he called “the Song of the Bow”: “Saul and Jonathan were beloved and pleasant in their lives, and in their death they were not divided. . . . How the mighty have fallen in the midst of the battle! . . . I am distressed for you, my brother Jonathan; you have been very pleasant to me” (vv.23-26).

When we face “an emergency of the spirit”—whether glad or sad—our prayers can be a poem to the Lord. While we may stumble to articulate what we feel, our heavenly Father hears our words as a true expression of our hearts.

Sometimes I do not pray in words—
I take my heart in my two hands
And hold it up before the Lord—
I am so glad He understands. —Nicholson
God does more than hear words; He reads hearts.

Insight
Although Saul had treated David as his enemy, David did not treat Saul as his. When Saul and his son Jonathan died in battle, David honored them in the song in today’s passage, which opens and closes with the refrain “How the mighty have fallen!” (vv.19,27).

.....................................................................................

2 Samuel 1:17-27 King James Version (KJV)

17 And David lamented with this lamentation over Saul and over Jonathan his son:

18 (Also he bade them teach the children of Judah the use of the bow: behold, it is written in the book of Jasher.)

19 The beauty of Israel is slain upon thy high places: how are the mighty fallen!

20 Tell it not in Gath, publish it not in the streets of Askelon; lest the daughters of the Philistines rejoice, lest the daughters of the uncircumcised triumph.

21 Ye mountains of Gilboa, let there be no dew, neither let there be rain, upon you, nor fields of offerings: for there the shield of the mighty is vilely cast away, the shield of Saul, as though he had not been anointed with oil.

22 From the blood of the slain, from the fat of the mighty, the bow of Jonathan turned not back, and the sword of Saul returned not empty.

23 Saul and Jonathan were lovely and pleasant in their lives, and in their death they were not divided: they were swifter than eagles, they were stronger than lions.

24 Ye daughters of Israel, weep over Saul, who clothed you in scarlet, with other delights, who put on ornaments of gold upon your apparel.

25 How are the mighty fallen in the midst of the battle! O Jonathan, thou wast slain in thine high places.

26 I am distressed for thee, my brother Jonathan: very pleasant hast thou been unto me: thy love to me was wonderful, passing the love of women.

27 How are the mighty fallen, and the weapons of war perished!

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum