Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Join our study and walk through the Bible with us.

Latest topics
» Num 22:39-40
Oranges Or Milk? By Jennifer Benson Schuldt EmptyTue Nov 06, 2018 3:43 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:27-28
Oranges Or Milk? By Jennifer Benson Schuldt EmptyTue Oct 30, 2018 3:43 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:26
Oranges Or Milk? By Jennifer Benson Schuldt EmptyTue Oct 23, 2018 4:04 am by clark thompson

» Num 22:37-38
Oranges Or Milk? By Jennifer Benson Schuldt EmptyTue Oct 16, 2018 3:31 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:24-25
Oranges Or Milk? By Jennifer Benson Schuldt EmptyTue Oct 09, 2018 4:08 am by clark thompson

» Num 22:30-32
Oranges Or Milk? By Jennifer Benson Schuldt EmptyWed Aug 22, 2018 4:16 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:13-15
Oranges Or Milk? By Jennifer Benson Schuldt EmptyTue Aug 14, 2018 3:36 am by clark thompson

» A Hopeful Lament By Amy Peterson
Oranges Or Milk? By Jennifer Benson Schuldt EmptyFri Aug 10, 2018 11:42 am by LesBrewer

» What does the Bible say about pettiness?
Oranges Or Milk? By Jennifer Benson Schuldt EmptyFri Aug 10, 2018 11:03 am by LesBrewer

» A Good Daddy By Xochitl Dixon
Oranges Or Milk? By Jennifer Benson Schuldt EmptyThu Aug 09, 2018 1:57 am by LesBrewer

» Num 22:28-29
Oranges Or Milk? By Jennifer Benson Schuldt EmptyWed Aug 08, 2018 10:32 pm by clark thompson

» When the Bottom Drops Out By Poh Fang Chia
Oranges Or Milk? By Jennifer Benson Schuldt EmptyTue Aug 07, 2018 3:22 pm by LesBrewer

» The Joy of Giving By Leslie Koh
Oranges Or Milk? By Jennifer Benson Schuldt EmptyMon Aug 06, 2018 4:34 pm by LesBrewer

» Hard Mysteries By Amy Boucher Pye
Oranges Or Milk? By Jennifer Benson Schuldt EmptySun Aug 05, 2018 6:05 pm by LesBrewer

» Forgiven?
Oranges Or Milk? By Jennifer Benson Schuldt EmptySun Aug 05, 2018 5:42 pm by LesBrewer

May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Location Map
Bible Search
Search the Bible:

Examples: Psalm 27; John 15
love one another; Psalm 23

WEEKLY WISDOM

You are not connected. Please login or register

Oranges Or Milk? By Jennifer Benson Schuldt

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

LesBrewer

LesBrewer

Oranges Or Milk? By Jennifer Benson Schuldt

Read: Hebrews 5:5-14

Solid food belongs to those who are of full age. —Hebrews 5:14

When I told my young daughter that a 3-month-old baby boy was coming to our house for a visit, she was delighted. With a child’s sense of hospitality, she suggested that we share some of our food with the baby; she thought he might enjoy a juicy orange from the bowl on our kitchen counter. I explained that the baby could drink only milk, but that he might like oranges when he was older.

The Bible uses a similar concept to describe a believer’s need for spiritual food. The basic truths of Scripture are like milk—they help new Christians thrive and grow (1 Peter 2:2-3). In contrast, “Solid food belongs to those who are of full age” (Heb. 5:14). Believers who have had time to digest and understand the basics can move on to investigate other biblical concepts and begin to teach others these truths. The rewards of spiritual maturity are discernment (v.14), godly wisdom (1 Cor. 2:6), and the ability to communicate God’s truth to others (Heb. 5:12).

Like a loving parent, God wants us to grow spiritually. He knows that feeding only on spiritual milk is not in our best interest. He wants us to move on so we can enjoy the taste of solid food.
Dear Lord, please deepen my understanding
of Your Word. Let Your Holy Spirit guide
me and enlighten my heart as I pursue Your
truth so that I might walk in Your ways.
Spiritual growth occurs when faith is cultivated.

Insight
Today’s passage encourages readers toward maturity in Christ. Far from urging detailed knowledge of difficult Bible passages or in-depth understanding of doctrine, the writer says that “full age” is characterized by something straightforward and practical. It is being able “to discern both good and evil” (v.14).

...................................................................................

Hebrews 5:5-14 King James Version (KJV)

5 So also Christ glorified not himself to be made an high priest; but he that said unto him, Thou art my Son, to day have I begotten thee.

6 As he saith also in another place, Thou art a priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec.

7 Who in the days of his flesh, when he had offered up prayers and supplications with strong crying and tears unto him that was able to save him from death, and was heard in that he feared;

8 Though he were a Son, yet learned he obedience by the things which he suffered;

9 And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him;

10 Called of God an high priest after the order of Melchisedec.

11 Of whom we have many things to say, and hard to be uttered, seeing ye are dull of hearing.

12 For when for the time ye ought to be teachers, ye have need that one teach you again which be the first principles of the oracles of God; and are become such as have need of milk, and not of strong meat.

13 For every one that useth milk is unskilful in the word of righteousness: for he is a babe.

14 But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.

Yemima

Yemima
Admin

Thanks Bro Les.

Really inspiring message.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum