Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Join our study and walk through the Bible with us.

Latest topics
» Num 22:39-40
The Drinking Gourd By Dennis Fisher EmptyTue Nov 06, 2018 3:43 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:27-28
The Drinking Gourd By Dennis Fisher EmptyTue Oct 30, 2018 3:43 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:26
The Drinking Gourd By Dennis Fisher EmptyTue Oct 23, 2018 4:04 am by clark thompson

» Num 22:37-38
The Drinking Gourd By Dennis Fisher EmptyTue Oct 16, 2018 3:31 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:24-25
The Drinking Gourd By Dennis Fisher EmptyTue Oct 09, 2018 4:08 am by clark thompson

» Num 22:30-32
The Drinking Gourd By Dennis Fisher EmptyWed Aug 22, 2018 4:16 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:13-15
The Drinking Gourd By Dennis Fisher EmptyTue Aug 14, 2018 3:36 am by clark thompson

» A Hopeful Lament By Amy Peterson
The Drinking Gourd By Dennis Fisher EmptyFri Aug 10, 2018 11:42 am by LesBrewer

» What does the Bible say about pettiness?
The Drinking Gourd By Dennis Fisher EmptyFri Aug 10, 2018 11:03 am by LesBrewer

» A Good Daddy By Xochitl Dixon
The Drinking Gourd By Dennis Fisher EmptyThu Aug 09, 2018 1:57 am by LesBrewer

» Num 22:28-29
The Drinking Gourd By Dennis Fisher EmptyWed Aug 08, 2018 10:32 pm by clark thompson

» When the Bottom Drops Out By Poh Fang Chia
The Drinking Gourd By Dennis Fisher EmptyTue Aug 07, 2018 3:22 pm by LesBrewer

» The Joy of Giving By Leslie Koh
The Drinking Gourd By Dennis Fisher EmptyMon Aug 06, 2018 4:34 pm by LesBrewer

» Hard Mysteries By Amy Boucher Pye
The Drinking Gourd By Dennis Fisher EmptySun Aug 05, 2018 6:05 pm by LesBrewer

» Forgiven?
The Drinking Gourd By Dennis Fisher EmptySun Aug 05, 2018 5:42 pm by LesBrewer

May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Location Map
Bible Search
Search the Bible:

Examples: Psalm 27; John 15
love one another; Psalm 23

WEEKLY WISDOM

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Drinking Gourd By Dennis Fisher

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1The Drinking Gourd By Dennis Fisher Empty The Drinking Gourd By Dennis Fisher Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:20 am

LesBrewer

LesBrewer

The Drinking Gourd By Dennis Fisher

Read: Philippians 2:12-18

Shine as lights in the world, holding fast the word of life. —Philippians 2:15-16

Prior to the American Civil War (1861–1865), fugitive slaves found freedom by following the Underground Railroad, a term for the secret routes from the South to the North and the abolitionists who helped them along the way. Slaves would travel at night for many miles, keeping on track by following the light of the “Drinking Gourd.” This was a code name for the collection of stars known as the Big Dipper, which points to the North Star. Some believe the fugitives also used encoded directions in the lyrics of the song “Follow the Drinking Gourd” to keep them from getting lost as they traveled.

Both the abolitionists and the “drinking gourd” served as points of light directing the slaves to freedom. The apostle Paul says that believers are to shine as “lights in the world” to show the way to those seeking God’s truth, redemption, and spiritual liberation (Phil. 2:15).

We live in a dark world that desperately needs to see the light of Jesus Christ. Our calling is to shine forth God’s truth so that others can be directed to the One who redeems and is the path to liberty and life. We point the way to Jesus, the One who is the way, the truth, and the life (John 14:6).
Dear Lord, thank You for redeeming me and giving
me new life. Give me compassion for those who are
still lost in spiritual darkness. Use me to be a light
that points others to You, the Light of the world.
Light up your world by reflecting the light of Jesus.

Insight

Paul tells the followers of Christ in Philippi that they are lights among a “crooked and perverse generation” (Phil. 2:15). But the progression of Paul’s thought should be noted. When we live our lives in harmony and concern for others “without complaining and disputing” (v.14), we become blameless and harmless and shine in the world (v.15). Christ is made known in the world through us when our lives reflect the humility and love of our Lord.

Philippians 2:12-18 King James Version (KJV)

12 Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.

13 For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.

14 Do all things without murmurings and disputings:

15 That ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world;

16 Holding forth the word of life; that I may rejoice in the day of Christ, that I have not run in vain, neither laboured in vain.

17 Yea, and if I be offered upon the sacrifice and service of your faith, I joy, and rejoice with you all.

18 For the same cause also do ye joy, and rejoice with me.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum