Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Join our study and walk through the Bible with us.

Latest topics
» Num 22:39-40
Rooted Love By Joe Stowell EmptyTue Nov 06, 2018 3:43 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:27-28
Rooted Love By Joe Stowell EmptyTue Oct 30, 2018 3:43 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:26
Rooted Love By Joe Stowell EmptyTue Oct 23, 2018 4:04 am by clark thompson

» Num 22:37-38
Rooted Love By Joe Stowell EmptyTue Oct 16, 2018 3:31 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:24-25
Rooted Love By Joe Stowell EmptyTue Oct 09, 2018 4:08 am by clark thompson

» Num 22:30-32
Rooted Love By Joe Stowell EmptyWed Aug 22, 2018 4:16 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:13-15
Rooted Love By Joe Stowell EmptyTue Aug 14, 2018 3:36 am by clark thompson

» A Hopeful Lament By Amy Peterson
Rooted Love By Joe Stowell EmptyFri Aug 10, 2018 11:42 am by LesBrewer

» What does the Bible say about pettiness?
Rooted Love By Joe Stowell EmptyFri Aug 10, 2018 11:03 am by LesBrewer

» A Good Daddy By Xochitl Dixon
Rooted Love By Joe Stowell EmptyThu Aug 09, 2018 1:57 am by LesBrewer

» Num 22:28-29
Rooted Love By Joe Stowell EmptyWed Aug 08, 2018 10:32 pm by clark thompson

» When the Bottom Drops Out By Poh Fang Chia
Rooted Love By Joe Stowell EmptyTue Aug 07, 2018 3:22 pm by LesBrewer

» The Joy of Giving By Leslie Koh
Rooted Love By Joe Stowell EmptyMon Aug 06, 2018 4:34 pm by LesBrewer

» Hard Mysteries By Amy Boucher Pye
Rooted Love By Joe Stowell EmptySun Aug 05, 2018 6:05 pm by LesBrewer

» Forgiven?
Rooted Love By Joe Stowell EmptySun Aug 05, 2018 5:42 pm by LesBrewer

May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Location Map
Bible Search
Search the Bible:

Examples: Psalm 27; John 15
love one another; Psalm 23

WEEKLY WISDOM

You are not connected. Please login or register

Rooted Love By Joe Stowell

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Rooted Love By Joe Stowell Empty Rooted Love By Joe Stowell Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:46 am

LesBrewer

LesBrewer

Rooted Love By Joe Stowell

Read: Hebrews 13:15-25

Do not forget to do good and to share. —Hebrews 13:16

When I think of all the wonders of God’s magnificent creation, I am especially awed by the giant sequoia tree. These amazing behemoths of the forest can grow to around 300 feet tall with a diameter that exceeds 20 feet. They can live over 3,000 years and are even fire resistant. In fact, forest fires pop the sequoia cones open, distributing their seeds on the forest floor that has been fertilized by the ashes. Perhaps the most amazing fact is that these trees can grow in just 3 feet of soil and withstand high winds. Their strength lies in the fact that their roots intertwine with other sequoias, providing mutual strength and shared resources.

God’s plan for us is like that. Our ability to stand tall in spite of the buffeting winds of life is directly related to the love and support we receive from God and one another. And then, as the writer of Hebrews says, we are to “do good and to share” (13:16). Think of how tough it would be to withstand adversity if someone were not sharing the roots of their strength with us.

There is great power in the entwining gifts of words of encouragement, prayers of intercession, weeping together, holding each other, and sometimes just sitting with one another sharing the presence of our love.
Lord, thank You for entwining Your strength
into my life. Lead me today to someone
who needs the love of shared strength from
resources that You have given to me.
Let the roots of God’s love in your life be entwined with others who need your support.

Insight
If we were left to our own devices and determination, even the brief instructions in today’s passage would be more than we could live up to. Fortunately, we are not left to ourselves. God works in us to make us complete (vv.20-21).

Hebrews 13:15-25 King James Version (KJV)

15 By him therefore let us offer the sacrifice of praise to God continually, that is, the fruit of our lips giving thanks to his name.

16 But to do good and to communicate forget not: for with such sacrifices God is well pleased.

17 Obey them that have the rule over you, and submit yourselves: for they watch for your souls, as they that must give account, that they may do it with joy, and not with grief: for that is unprofitable for you.

18 Pray for us: for we trust we have a good conscience, in all things willing to live honestly.

19 But I beseech you the rather to do this, that I may be restored to you the sooner.

20 Now the God of peace, that brought again from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great shepherd of the sheep, through the blood of the everlasting covenant,

21 Make you perfect in every good work to do his will, working in you that which is wellpleasing in his sight, through Jesus Christ; to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.

22 And I beseech you, brethren, suffer the word of exhortation: for I have written a letter unto you in few words.

23 Know ye that our brother Timothy is set at liberty; with whom, if he come shortly, I will see you.

24 Salute all them that have the rule over you, and all the saints. They of Italy salute you.

25 Grace be with you all. Amen.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum