Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Join our study and walk through the Bible with us.

Latest topics
» Num 22:39-40
The Warmth Of The Sun By Bill Crowder EmptyTue Nov 06, 2018 3:43 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:27-28
The Warmth Of The Sun By Bill Crowder EmptyTue Oct 30, 2018 3:43 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:26
The Warmth Of The Sun By Bill Crowder EmptyTue Oct 23, 2018 4:04 am by clark thompson

» Num 22:37-38
The Warmth Of The Sun By Bill Crowder EmptyTue Oct 16, 2018 3:31 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:24-25
The Warmth Of The Sun By Bill Crowder EmptyTue Oct 09, 2018 4:08 am by clark thompson

» Num 22:30-32
The Warmth Of The Sun By Bill Crowder EmptyWed Aug 22, 2018 4:16 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:13-15
The Warmth Of The Sun By Bill Crowder EmptyTue Aug 14, 2018 3:36 am by clark thompson

» A Hopeful Lament By Amy Peterson
The Warmth Of The Sun By Bill Crowder EmptyFri Aug 10, 2018 11:42 am by LesBrewer

» What does the Bible say about pettiness?
The Warmth Of The Sun By Bill Crowder EmptyFri Aug 10, 2018 11:03 am by LesBrewer

» A Good Daddy By Xochitl Dixon
The Warmth Of The Sun By Bill Crowder EmptyThu Aug 09, 2018 1:57 am by LesBrewer

» Num 22:28-29
The Warmth Of The Sun By Bill Crowder EmptyWed Aug 08, 2018 10:32 pm by clark thompson

» When the Bottom Drops Out By Poh Fang Chia
The Warmth Of The Sun By Bill Crowder EmptyTue Aug 07, 2018 3:22 pm by LesBrewer

» The Joy of Giving By Leslie Koh
The Warmth Of The Sun By Bill Crowder EmptyMon Aug 06, 2018 4:34 pm by LesBrewer

» Hard Mysteries By Amy Boucher Pye
The Warmth Of The Sun By Bill Crowder EmptySun Aug 05, 2018 6:05 pm by LesBrewer

» Forgiven?
The Warmth Of The Sun By Bill Crowder EmptySun Aug 05, 2018 5:42 pm by LesBrewer

May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Location Map
Bible Search
Search the Bible:

Examples: Psalm 27; John 15
love one another; Psalm 23

WEEKLY WISDOM

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Warmth Of The Sun By Bill Crowder

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1The Warmth Of The Sun By Bill Crowder Empty The Warmth Of The Sun By Bill Crowder Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:57 am

LesBrewer

LesBrewer

The Warmth Of The Sun By Bill Crowder

Read: Psalm 6

I am weary with my groaning; all night I make my bed swim; I drench my couch with my tears. —Psalm 6:6

On a November day in 1963, the Beach Boys’ Brian Wilson and Mike Love wrote a song quite unlike the band’s typically upbeat tunes. It was a mournful song about love that’s been lost. Mike said later, “As hard as that kind of loss is, the one good that comes from it is having had the experience of being in love in the first place.” They titled it “The Warmth of the Sun.”

Sorrow serving as a catalyst for songwriting is nothing new. Some of David’s most moving psalms were penned in times of deep personal loss, including Psalm 6. Though we aren’t told the events that prompted its writing, the lyrics are filled with grief, “I am weary with my groaning; all night I make my bed swim, I drench my couch with my tears. My eye wastes away because of grief” (vv.6-7).

But that’s not where the song ends. David knew pain and loss, but he also knew God’s comfort. And so he wrote, “The Lord has heard my supplication; the Lord will receive my prayer” (v.9).

In his grief, David not only found a song, he also found reason to trust God, whose faithfulness bridges all of life’s hard seasons. In the warmth of His presence, our sorrows gain a hopeful perspective.
Heavenly Father, life can be so wonderful, but also
so hard. Help us to seek You in the good times as
well as the bad. Help us to always be mindful that
You are our sure hope in a world that doesn’t always seem to care.
A song of sadness can turn our hearts to the God whose joy for us is forever.

Insight
This individual lament, a prayer of penitence, was written by David during a time of prolonged and severe distress (Ps. 6:2-3,5). His plight emboldened his enemies to launch a personal attack and to gloat over his misfortune (vv.7-8,10). David acknowledged that his trouble was a consequence of specific wrongdoings committed, and that God was angry and was disciplining him (v.1). Anguished by his lack of intimacy with God and exhausted by his sorrowing over his sins, in repentance David, on the basis of God’s mercies (vv.2,4), asked for forgiveness, favor, and restoration. David concluded his prayer with the assurance that those who truly repent will receive God’s mercy (vv.9-10).

...................................................................................

Psalm 6 King James Version (KJV)

6 O Lord, rebuke me not in thine anger, neither chasten me in thy hot displeasure.

2 Have mercy upon me, O Lord; for I am weak: O Lord, heal me; for my bones are vexed.

3 My soul is also sore vexed: but thou, O Lord, how long?

4 Return, O Lord, deliver my soul: oh save me for thy mercies' sake.

5 For in death there is no remembrance of thee: in the grave who shall give thee thanks?

6 I am weary with my groaning; all the night make I my bed to swim; I water my couch with my tears.

7 Mine eye is consumed because of grief; it waxeth old because of all mine enemies.

8 Depart from me, all ye workers of iniquity; for the Lord hath heard the voice of my weeping.

9 The Lord hath heard my supplication; the Lord will receive my prayer.

10 Let all mine enemies be ashamed and sore vexed: let them return and be ashamed suddenly.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum