Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Join our study and walk through the Bible with us.

Latest topics
» Num 22:39-40
Resting In God By Marion Stroud EmptyTue Nov 06, 2018 3:43 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:27-28
Resting In God By Marion Stroud EmptyTue Oct 30, 2018 3:43 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:26
Resting In God By Marion Stroud EmptyTue Oct 23, 2018 4:04 am by clark thompson

» Num 22:37-38
Resting In God By Marion Stroud EmptyTue Oct 16, 2018 3:31 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:24-25
Resting In God By Marion Stroud EmptyTue Oct 09, 2018 4:08 am by clark thompson

» Num 22:30-32
Resting In God By Marion Stroud EmptyWed Aug 22, 2018 4:16 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:13-15
Resting In God By Marion Stroud EmptyTue Aug 14, 2018 3:36 am by clark thompson

» A Hopeful Lament By Amy Peterson
Resting In God By Marion Stroud EmptyFri Aug 10, 2018 11:42 am by LesBrewer

» What does the Bible say about pettiness?
Resting In God By Marion Stroud EmptyFri Aug 10, 2018 11:03 am by LesBrewer

» A Good Daddy By Xochitl Dixon
Resting In God By Marion Stroud EmptyThu Aug 09, 2018 1:57 am by LesBrewer

» Num 22:28-29
Resting In God By Marion Stroud EmptyWed Aug 08, 2018 10:32 pm by clark thompson

» When the Bottom Drops Out By Poh Fang Chia
Resting In God By Marion Stroud EmptyTue Aug 07, 2018 3:22 pm by LesBrewer

» The Joy of Giving By Leslie Koh
Resting In God By Marion Stroud EmptyMon Aug 06, 2018 4:34 pm by LesBrewer

» Hard Mysteries By Amy Boucher Pye
Resting In God By Marion Stroud EmptySun Aug 05, 2018 6:05 pm by LesBrewer

» Forgiven?
Resting In God By Marion Stroud EmptySun Aug 05, 2018 5:42 pm by LesBrewer

May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Location Map
Bible Search
Search the Bible:

Examples: Psalm 27; John 15
love one another; Psalm 23

WEEKLY WISDOM

You are not connected. Please login or register

Resting In God By Marion Stroud

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Resting In God By Marion Stroud Empty Resting In God By Marion Stroud Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:05 am

LesBrewer

LesBrewer

Resting In God By Marion Stroud

Read: Romans 4:16-22

He did not waver . . . through unbelief . . . being fully convinced that what [God] had promised He was also able to perform. —Romans 4:20-21

It was our last holiday together as a family before our eldest son went off to college. As we filled the back pew in the little seaside church, my heart filled with love as I glanced along the row of my five reasonably tidy children. “Please protect them spiritually and keep them close to You, Lord.” I prayed silently, thinking of the pressures and challenges each of them faced.

The final hymn had a rousing chorus based on the words of 2 Timothy 1:12. “I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that He is able to keep what I have committed to Him.” It brought a sense of peace as I was assured that God would keep their souls.

Years have passed since then. There have been times of wandering for some of my children, and outright rebellion for others. Sometimes I’ve wondered about God’s faithfulness. Then I remember Abraham. He stumbled but never failed in his trust in the promise he’d received (Gen. 15:5-6; Rom. 4:20-21). Through years of waiting and mistaken attempts to help things along, Abraham hung on to God’s promise until Isaac was born.

I find this reminder to trust encouraging. We tell God our request. We remember that He cares. We know He is powerful. We thank Him for His faithfulness.
Lord, my patience is often lacking and my timetable
often does not match Yours. Forgive me for my times
of doubt, and help me to trust You more.
Thank You for Your faithfulness.
Some lessons of patience take a long time to learn.

Insight
Abraham was 75 when God first told him that he would be the father of many nations (Gen. 12:4). But when Abraham noted that both he and Sarah were childless (15:2), God promised that he would have “a son who is your own flesh and blood” (v.4 niv). This promise was 25 years in its making. For Isaac was born when Abraham was 100 and Sarah 90 (17:17), when their bodies were “already dead” reproductively (Rom. 4:19). Abraham believed in the Lord (Gen. 15:6; Rom. 4:17), “fully convinced that what He had promised He was also able to perform” (Rom. 4:21).

.....................................................................................

Romans 4:16-22 King James Version (KJV)

16 Therefore it is of faith, that it might be by grace; to the end the promise might be sure to all the seed; not to that only which is of the law, but to that also which is of the faith of Abraham; who is the father of us all,

17 (As it is written, I have made thee a father of many nations,) before him whom he believed, even God, who quickeneth the dead, and calleth those things which be not as though they were.

18 Who against hope believed in hope, that he might become the father of many nations, according to that which was spoken, So shall thy seed be.

19 And being not weak in faith, he considered not his own body now dead, when he was about an hundred years old, neither yet the deadness of Sarah's womb:

20 He staggered not at the promise of God through unbelief; but was strong in faith, giving glory to God;

21 And being fully persuaded that, what he had promised, he was able also to perform.

22 And therefore it was imputed to him for righteousness.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum