Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Join our study and walk through the Bible with us.

Latest topics
» Num 22:39-40
God Whispers “Fish” By David H. Roper EmptyTue Nov 06, 2018 3:43 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:27-28
God Whispers “Fish” By David H. Roper EmptyTue Oct 30, 2018 3:43 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:26
God Whispers “Fish” By David H. Roper EmptyTue Oct 23, 2018 4:04 am by clark thompson

» Num 22:37-38
God Whispers “Fish” By David H. Roper EmptyTue Oct 16, 2018 3:31 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:24-25
God Whispers “Fish” By David H. Roper EmptyTue Oct 09, 2018 4:08 am by clark thompson

» Num 22:30-32
God Whispers “Fish” By David H. Roper EmptyWed Aug 22, 2018 4:16 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:13-15
God Whispers “Fish” By David H. Roper EmptyTue Aug 14, 2018 3:36 am by clark thompson

» A Hopeful Lament By Amy Peterson
God Whispers “Fish” By David H. Roper EmptyFri Aug 10, 2018 11:42 am by LesBrewer

» What does the Bible say about pettiness?
God Whispers “Fish” By David H. Roper EmptyFri Aug 10, 2018 11:03 am by LesBrewer

» A Good Daddy By Xochitl Dixon
God Whispers “Fish” By David H. Roper EmptyThu Aug 09, 2018 1:57 am by LesBrewer

» Num 22:28-29
God Whispers “Fish” By David H. Roper EmptyWed Aug 08, 2018 10:32 pm by clark thompson

» When the Bottom Drops Out By Poh Fang Chia
God Whispers “Fish” By David H. Roper EmptyTue Aug 07, 2018 3:22 pm by LesBrewer

» The Joy of Giving By Leslie Koh
God Whispers “Fish” By David H. Roper EmptyMon Aug 06, 2018 4:34 pm by LesBrewer

» Hard Mysteries By Amy Boucher Pye
God Whispers “Fish” By David H. Roper EmptySun Aug 05, 2018 6:05 pm by LesBrewer

» Forgiven?
God Whispers “Fish” By David H. Roper EmptySun Aug 05, 2018 5:42 pm by LesBrewer

May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Location Map
Bible Search
Search the Bible:

Examples: Psalm 27; John 15
love one another; Psalm 23

WEEKLY WISDOM

You are not connected. Please login or register

God Whispers “Fish” By David H. Roper

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

LesBrewer

LesBrewer

God Whispers “Fish” By David H. Roper

Read: Luke 5:1-10

From now on you will catch men. —Luke 5:10

A number of years ago our sons and I enjoyed some days together drifting and fishing the Madison River in Montana with two fishing guides who also served as our boatmen.

The guide I drew was a man who had lived on the river all his life and knew where the big trout held. He was a quiet man who spoke scarcely two dozen words in all the time he was with us, but his few words enlivened my days.

We were fishing with small flies in choppy water. My eyesight was not what it once was, and I was missing most of the takes. My guide—who was also a soul of patience—began to alert me by murmuring “fish” when he saw a trout rising under the fly. When I heard his cue, I lifted the tip of my rod and . . . voilà! A trout on the end of my line!

I’ve often thought of that guide and Jesus’ declaration to His fishermen-disciples, “From now on you will catch men” (Luke 5:10). There are great opportunities that come our way every day—people circling around us, searching for that elusive “something” for which their souls crave—occasions to show the love of Christ and speak of the hope that is in us. These are opportunities we might miss if not alerted.

May the Great Angler, who knows every heart, whisper “fish” in our ears and may we have ears to hear.
All through this day, O Lord, let me touch as
many lives as possible for You—through the words
I speak, the prayers I breathe, the letters I write,
and the life I live.
When the Spirit prompts, take action.

Insight
Luke 5:1-10, where Jesus called Simon Peter to be a disciple, was probably the third time the two had met. The first time was in John 1:40-42, where Andrew, himself a new follower of Christ, brought Simon to Jesus. The second seems to be in Mark 1:29-31, when Jesus healed Simon’s mother-in-law.

Luke 5:1-10 King James Version (KJV)

5 And it came to pass, that, as the people pressed upon him to hear the word of God, he stood by the lake of Gennesaret,

2 And saw two ships standing by the lake: but the fishermen were gone out of them, and were washing their nets.

3 And he entered into one of the ships, which was Simon's, and prayed him that he would thrust out a little from the land. And he sat down, and taught the people out of the ship.

4 Now when he had left speaking, he said unto Simon, Launch out into the deep, and let down your nets for a draught.

5 And Simon answering said unto him, Master, we have toiled all the night, and have taken nothing: nevertheless at thy word I will let down the net.

6 And when they had this done, they inclosed a great multitude of fishes: and their net brake.

7 And they beckoned unto their partners, which were in the other ship, that they should come and help them. And they came, and filled both the ships, so that they began to sink.

8 When Simon Peter saw it, he fell down at Jesus' knees, saying, Depart from me; for I am a sinful man, O Lord.

9 For he was astonished, and all that were with him, at the draught of the fishes which they had taken:

10 And so was also James, and John, the sons of Zebedee, which were partners with Simon. And Jesus said unto Simon, Fear not; from henceforth thou shalt catch men.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum