Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Join our study and walk through the Bible with us.

Latest topics
» Num 22:39-40
In Jesus’ Name By Dennis Fisher EmptyTue Nov 06, 2018 3:43 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:27-28
In Jesus’ Name By Dennis Fisher EmptyTue Oct 30, 2018 3:43 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:26
In Jesus’ Name By Dennis Fisher EmptyTue Oct 23, 2018 4:04 am by clark thompson

» Num 22:37-38
In Jesus’ Name By Dennis Fisher EmptyTue Oct 16, 2018 3:31 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:24-25
In Jesus’ Name By Dennis Fisher EmptyTue Oct 09, 2018 4:08 am by clark thompson

» Num 22:30-32
In Jesus’ Name By Dennis Fisher EmptyWed Aug 22, 2018 4:16 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:13-15
In Jesus’ Name By Dennis Fisher EmptyTue Aug 14, 2018 3:36 am by clark thompson

» A Hopeful Lament By Amy Peterson
In Jesus’ Name By Dennis Fisher EmptyFri Aug 10, 2018 11:42 am by LesBrewer

» What does the Bible say about pettiness?
In Jesus’ Name By Dennis Fisher EmptyFri Aug 10, 2018 11:03 am by LesBrewer

» A Good Daddy By Xochitl Dixon
In Jesus’ Name By Dennis Fisher EmptyThu Aug 09, 2018 1:57 am by LesBrewer

» Num 22:28-29
In Jesus’ Name By Dennis Fisher EmptyWed Aug 08, 2018 10:32 pm by clark thompson

» When the Bottom Drops Out By Poh Fang Chia
In Jesus’ Name By Dennis Fisher EmptyTue Aug 07, 2018 3:22 pm by LesBrewer

» The Joy of Giving By Leslie Koh
In Jesus’ Name By Dennis Fisher EmptyMon Aug 06, 2018 4:34 pm by LesBrewer

» Hard Mysteries By Amy Boucher Pye
In Jesus’ Name By Dennis Fisher EmptySun Aug 05, 2018 6:05 pm by LesBrewer

» Forgiven?
In Jesus’ Name By Dennis Fisher EmptySun Aug 05, 2018 5:42 pm by LesBrewer

May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Location Map
Bible Search
Search the Bible:

Examples: Psalm 27; John 15
love one another; Psalm 23

WEEKLY WISDOM

You are not connected. Please login or register

In Jesus’ Name By Dennis Fisher

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1In Jesus’ Name By Dennis Fisher Empty In Jesus’ Name By Dennis Fisher Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:05 am

LesBrewer

LesBrewer

In Jesus’ Name By Dennis Fisher

CLICK HERE FOR AUDIO VERSION

Read: John 14:12-21

Until now you have asked nothing in My name. Ask, and you will receive, that your joy may be full. —John 16:24

One of my favorite collections of photos is of a family dinner. Preserved in an album are images of Dad, his sons and their wives, and his grandchildren in a time of thanks-giving and intercession.

Dad had suffered a series of strokes and was not as verbal as usual. But during that time of prayer, I heard him say with heartfelt conviction: “We pray in Jesus’ name!” About a year later, Dad passed from this world into the presence of the One in whose name he placed such trust.

Jesus taught us to pray in His name. The night before He was crucified, He gave a promise to His disciples: “Until now you have asked nothing in My name. Ask, and you will receive, that your joy may be full” (John 16:24). But the promise of asking in Jesus’ name is not a blank check that we might get anything to fulfill our personal whims.

Earlier that evening, Jesus taught that He answers requests made in His name so that He will bring glory to the Father (John 14:13). And later that night, Jesus Himself prayed in anguish, “O My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from Me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as You will” (Matt. 26:39).

As we pray, we yield to God’s wisdom, love, and sovereignty, and we confidently ask “in Jesus’ name.”
Father in heaven, help us worry less about
what we can get from You and more about
what we can learn from You. As Your followers
said, “Increase our faith” (Luke 17:5).
Nothing lies beyond the reach of prayer except that which lies outside the will of God.

Insight
In today’s passage, Jesus tells His small group of followers that whoever believes in Him will do the same, and even greater, works than He did (v.12). Jesus’ work was to call people to repentance and relationship with the Father. As one example of this, the apostle Peter preached a sermon that moved 3,000 people to repentance! (Acts 2).

John 14:12-21 King James Version (KJV)

12 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.

13 And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.

14 If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.

15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.

16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;

17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

18 I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.

19 Yet a little while, and the world seeth me no more; but ye see me: because I live, ye shall live also.

20 At that day ye shall know that I am in my Father, and ye in me, and I in you.

21 He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum