Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Join our study and walk through the Bible with us.

Latest topics
» Num 22:39-40
Delay May Not Mean Denial By Marion Stroud EmptyTue Nov 06, 2018 3:43 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:27-28
Delay May Not Mean Denial By Marion Stroud EmptyTue Oct 30, 2018 3:43 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:26
Delay May Not Mean Denial By Marion Stroud EmptyTue Oct 23, 2018 4:04 am by clark thompson

» Num 22:37-38
Delay May Not Mean Denial By Marion Stroud EmptyTue Oct 16, 2018 3:31 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:24-25
Delay May Not Mean Denial By Marion Stroud EmptyTue Oct 09, 2018 4:08 am by clark thompson

» Num 22:30-32
Delay May Not Mean Denial By Marion Stroud EmptyWed Aug 22, 2018 4:16 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:13-15
Delay May Not Mean Denial By Marion Stroud EmptyTue Aug 14, 2018 3:36 am by clark thompson

» A Hopeful Lament By Amy Peterson
Delay May Not Mean Denial By Marion Stroud EmptyFri Aug 10, 2018 11:42 am by LesBrewer

» What does the Bible say about pettiness?
Delay May Not Mean Denial By Marion Stroud EmptyFri Aug 10, 2018 11:03 am by LesBrewer

» A Good Daddy By Xochitl Dixon
Delay May Not Mean Denial By Marion Stroud EmptyThu Aug 09, 2018 1:57 am by LesBrewer

» Num 22:28-29
Delay May Not Mean Denial By Marion Stroud EmptyWed Aug 08, 2018 10:32 pm by clark thompson

» When the Bottom Drops Out By Poh Fang Chia
Delay May Not Mean Denial By Marion Stroud EmptyTue Aug 07, 2018 3:22 pm by LesBrewer

» The Joy of Giving By Leslie Koh
Delay May Not Mean Denial By Marion Stroud EmptyMon Aug 06, 2018 4:34 pm by LesBrewer

» Hard Mysteries By Amy Boucher Pye
Delay May Not Mean Denial By Marion Stroud EmptySun Aug 05, 2018 6:05 pm by LesBrewer

» Forgiven?
Delay May Not Mean Denial By Marion Stroud EmptySun Aug 05, 2018 5:42 pm by LesBrewer

May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Location Map
Bible Search
Search the Bible:

Examples: Psalm 27; John 15
love one another; Psalm 23

WEEKLY WISDOM

You are not connected. Please login or register

Delay May Not Mean Denial By Marion Stroud

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Delay May Not Mean Denial By Marion Stroud Empty Delay May Not Mean Denial By Marion Stroud Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:16 pm

LesBrewer

LesBrewer

Delay May Not Mean Denial By Marion Stroud

Read: John 11:21-35

When [Jesus] heard that [Lazarus] was sick, He stayed two more days in the place where He was. —John 11:6

My sons’ birthdays are in December. When they were small, Angus quickly learned that if he didn’t receive a longed-for toy for his birthday at the beginning of the month, it might be in his Christmas stocking. And if David didn’t receive his gift for Christmas, it might appear for his birthday 4 days later. Delay didn’t necessarily mean denial.

It was natural for Martha and Mary to send for Jesus when Lazarus became seriously ill (John 11:1-3). Perhaps they looked anxiously along the road for signs of His arrival, but Jesus didn’t come. The funeral service had been over for 4 days when Jesus finally walked into town (v.17).

Martha was blunt. “If You had been here,” she said, “my brother would not have died” (v.21). Then her faith flickered into certainty, “Even now I know that whatever You ask of God, God will give You” (v.22). I wonder what she expected. Lazarus was dead, and she was wary about opening the tomb. And yet at a word from Jesus, Lazarus’ spirit returned to his decaying body (vv.41-44). Jesus had bypassed simply healing His sick friend, in order to perform the far greater miracle of bringing him back to life.

Waiting for God’s timing may also give us a greater miracle than we had hoped for.
My Savior hears me when I pray,
Upon His Word I calmly rest;
In His own time, in His own way,
I know He’ll give me what is best. —Hewitt
Time spent waiting on God is never wasted.

Insight
Martha, often maligned for her attitude in Luke 10:38-42, displays great faith in today’s passage. Not only does she believe that Jesus has a special relationship with the Father (John 11:22), she also affirms her confidence that Jesus is, in fact, the Son of God (v.27).

John 11:21-35 King James Version (KJV)

21 Then said Martha unto Jesus, Lord, if thou hadst been here, my brother had not died.

22 But I know, that even now, whatsoever thou wilt ask of God, God will give it thee.

23 Jesus saith unto her, Thy brother shall rise again.

24 Martha saith unto him, I know that he shall rise again in the resurrection at the last day.

25 Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:

26 And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?

27 She saith unto him, Yea, Lord: I believe that thou art the Christ, the Son of God, which should come into the world.

28 And when she had so said, she went her way, and called Mary her sister secretly, saying, The Master is come, and calleth for thee.

29 As soon as she heard that, she arose quickly, and came unto him.

30 Now Jesus was not yet come into the town, but was in that place where Martha met him.

31 The Jews then which were with her in the house, and comforted her, when they saw Mary, that she rose up hastily and went out, followed her, saying, She goeth unto the grave to weep there.

32 Then when Mary was come where Jesus was, and saw him, she fell down at his feet, saying unto him, Lord, if thou hadst been here, my brother had not died.

33 When Jesus therefore saw her weeping, and the Jews also weeping which came with her, he groaned in the spirit, and was troubled.

34 And said, Where have ye laid him? They said unto him, Lord, come and see.

35 Jesus wept.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum