Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Join our study and walk through the Bible with us.

Latest topics
» Num 22:39-40
A Letter from the Battlefield By David C. McCasland EmptyTue Nov 06, 2018 3:43 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:27-28
A Letter from the Battlefield By David C. McCasland EmptyTue Oct 30, 2018 3:43 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:26
A Letter from the Battlefield By David C. McCasland EmptyTue Oct 23, 2018 4:04 am by clark thompson

» Num 22:37-38
A Letter from the Battlefield By David C. McCasland EmptyTue Oct 16, 2018 3:31 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:24-25
A Letter from the Battlefield By David C. McCasland EmptyTue Oct 09, 2018 4:08 am by clark thompson

» Num 22:30-32
A Letter from the Battlefield By David C. McCasland EmptyWed Aug 22, 2018 4:16 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:13-15
A Letter from the Battlefield By David C. McCasland EmptyTue Aug 14, 2018 3:36 am by clark thompson

» A Hopeful Lament By Amy Peterson
A Letter from the Battlefield By David C. McCasland EmptyFri Aug 10, 2018 11:42 am by LesBrewer

» What does the Bible say about pettiness?
A Letter from the Battlefield By David C. McCasland EmptyFri Aug 10, 2018 11:03 am by LesBrewer

» A Good Daddy By Xochitl Dixon
A Letter from the Battlefield By David C. McCasland EmptyThu Aug 09, 2018 1:57 am by LesBrewer

» Num 22:28-29
A Letter from the Battlefield By David C. McCasland EmptyWed Aug 08, 2018 10:32 pm by clark thompson

» When the Bottom Drops Out By Poh Fang Chia
A Letter from the Battlefield By David C. McCasland EmptyTue Aug 07, 2018 3:22 pm by LesBrewer

» The Joy of Giving By Leslie Koh
A Letter from the Battlefield By David C. McCasland EmptyMon Aug 06, 2018 4:34 pm by LesBrewer

» Hard Mysteries By Amy Boucher Pye
A Letter from the Battlefield By David C. McCasland EmptySun Aug 05, 2018 6:05 pm by LesBrewer

» Forgiven?
A Letter from the Battlefield By David C. McCasland EmptySun Aug 05, 2018 5:42 pm by LesBrewer

May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Location Map
Bible Search
Search the Bible:

Examples: Psalm 27; John 15
love one another; Psalm 23

WEEKLY WISDOM

You are not connected. Please login or register

A Letter from the Battlefield By David C. McCasland

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

LesBrewer

LesBrewer

A Letter from the Battlefield By David C. McCasland

A Letter from the Battlefield By David C. McCasland 03-770x425

Read: 2 Timothy 4:1-8

I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. —2 Timothy 4:7

For more than two decades, Andrew Carroll has been urging people not to throw away the letters written by family members or friends during a time of war. Carroll, director of the Center for American War Letters at Chapman University in California, considers them an irreplaceable link to tie families together and open a door of understanding. “Younger generations are reading these letters,” Carroll says, “and asking questions and saying, ‘Now I understand what you endured, what you sacrificed.’ ”

When the apostle Paul was imprisoned in Rome and knew his life would soon end, he wrote a letter to a young man whom he considered a “son in the faith,” Timothy. Like a soldier on the battlefield, Paul opened his heart to him: “The time of my departure is at hand. I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Finally, there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give to me on that Day, and not to me only but also to all who have loved His appearing” (2 Tim. 4:6-8).

When we read the letters in the Bible that the heroes of the Christian faith have left for us and grasp what they endured because of their love for Christ, we gain courage to follow their example and to stand strong for those who come after us.

Lord, give us strength for the spiritual battles we face today, knowing that You have won the ultimate victory and that we will one day live eternally with You.

Run the race with eternity in view.

INSIGHT:

Titus and 1 Timothy were probably written after the apostle Paul was released from house arrest in Rome (ad 61-62) and during his fourth missionary journey (ad 62–63; see Acts 28:30-31). When persecution broke out under Emperor Nero, Paul was imprisoned again. During this second Roman imprisonment, Paul wrote 2 Timothy (ad 65-67). This time he knew his death was imminent (4:6-7). Paul warns that a time is coming when Christians will not “endure sound doctrine” and will turn away from the truth (vv. 3-7). To counter false teaching, Timothy is to “preach the word! Be ready in season and out of season. Convince, rebuke, exhort, with all long suffering and teaching” (v. 2).

2 Timothy 4:1-8 King James Version (KJV)

4 I charge thee therefore before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom;

2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all long suffering and doctrine.

3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;

4 And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

5 But watch thou in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, make full proof of thy ministry.

6 For I am now ready to be offered, and the time of my departure is at hand.

7 I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith:

8 Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum