Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Join our study and walk through the Bible with us.

Latest topics
» Num 22:39-40
Who Is My Neighbor? By Marion Stroud EmptyTue Nov 06, 2018 3:43 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:27-28
Who Is My Neighbor? By Marion Stroud EmptyTue Oct 30, 2018 3:43 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:26
Who Is My Neighbor? By Marion Stroud EmptyTue Oct 23, 2018 4:04 am by clark thompson

» Num 22:37-38
Who Is My Neighbor? By Marion Stroud EmptyTue Oct 16, 2018 3:31 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:24-25
Who Is My Neighbor? By Marion Stroud EmptyTue Oct 09, 2018 4:08 am by clark thompson

» Num 22:30-32
Who Is My Neighbor? By Marion Stroud EmptyWed Aug 22, 2018 4:16 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:13-15
Who Is My Neighbor? By Marion Stroud EmptyTue Aug 14, 2018 3:36 am by clark thompson

» A Hopeful Lament By Amy Peterson
Who Is My Neighbor? By Marion Stroud EmptyFri Aug 10, 2018 11:42 am by LesBrewer

» What does the Bible say about pettiness?
Who Is My Neighbor? By Marion Stroud EmptyFri Aug 10, 2018 11:03 am by LesBrewer

» A Good Daddy By Xochitl Dixon
Who Is My Neighbor? By Marion Stroud EmptyThu Aug 09, 2018 1:57 am by LesBrewer

» Num 22:28-29
Who Is My Neighbor? By Marion Stroud EmptyWed Aug 08, 2018 10:32 pm by clark thompson

» When the Bottom Drops Out By Poh Fang Chia
Who Is My Neighbor? By Marion Stroud EmptyTue Aug 07, 2018 3:22 pm by LesBrewer

» The Joy of Giving By Leslie Koh
Who Is My Neighbor? By Marion Stroud EmptyMon Aug 06, 2018 4:34 pm by LesBrewer

» Hard Mysteries By Amy Boucher Pye
Who Is My Neighbor? By Marion Stroud EmptySun Aug 05, 2018 6:05 pm by LesBrewer

» Forgiven?
Who Is My Neighbor? By Marion Stroud EmptySun Aug 05, 2018 5:42 pm by LesBrewer

May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Location Map
Bible Search
Search the Bible:

Examples: Psalm 27; John 15
love one another; Psalm 23

WEEKLY WISDOM

You are not connected. Please login or register

Who Is My Neighbor? By Marion Stroud

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Who Is My Neighbor? By Marion Stroud Empty Who Is My Neighbor? By Marion Stroud Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:45 am

LesBrewer

LesBrewer

Who Is My Neighbor? By Marion Stroud

Who Is My Neighbor? By Marion Stroud 20-770x425

Read: Luke 10:30-37

Go and do likewise. Luke 10:37

Mary enjoyed her midweek church group meeting when she and several friends gathered to pray, worship, and discuss questions from the previous week’s sermon. This week they were going to talk about the difference between “going” to church and “being” the church in a hurting world. She was looking forward to seeing her friends and having a lively discussion.

As she picked up her car keys, the doorbell rang. “I’m so sorry to bother you,” said her neighbor Sue, “but are you free this morning?” Mary was about to say that she was going out when Sue continued, “I have to take my car to the repair shop. Normally I would walk or cycle home, but I’ve hurt my back and can’t do either at the moment.” Mary hesitated for a heartbeat and then smiled. “Of course,” she said.

Mary knew her neighbor only by sight. But as she drove her home, she learned about Sue’s husband’s battle with dementia and the utter exhaustion that being a caregiver can bring with it. She listened, sympathized, and promised to pray. She offered to help in any way she could.

Mary didn’t get to church that morning to talk about sharing her faith. Instead she took a little bit of Jesus’ love to her neighbor who was in a difficult situation.

Lord, help me to be ready at any time to be Your hands and feet to those in need.

Faith is seen in our actions.

Insight:

Samaritans lived in the territory between Galilee (to the north) and Judea (to the south). Historically, they were Jews who, when conquered by the Assyrians, intermarried with their conquerors and lost their ethnic purity as Jews. For this reason Samaritans were despised by Jews who would not even travel through Samaria, choosing instead to travel around that land. This makes it stunning that Jesus would choose a hated Samaritan as the hero of this parable and an example of one who was a neighbor. Bill Crowder

After a battle with cancer, Marion Stroud went to be with her Savior on August 8, 2015. Since 2014 Marion has been writing devotional articles for Our Daily Bread which have touched the lives of readers around the world. Two of her popular books of prayers, Dear God, It’s Me and It’s Urgent and It’s Just You and Me, Lord were published by Discovery House. As an international author and writing mentor, Marion worked as a cross-cultural trainer for Media Associates International, helping writers produce books for their own culture. She has been an encourager and role model for writers for many years and will be mourned by hundreds of friends around the world. Marion is survived by her husband, Gordon, and their five children and sixteen grandchildren.

Luke 10:30-37 King James Version (KJV)

30 And Jesus answering said, A certain man went down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and fell among thieves, which stripped him of his raiment, and wounded him, and departed, leaving him half dead.

31 And by chance there came down a certain priest that way: and when he saw him, he passed by on the other side.

32 And likewise a Levite, when he was at the place, came and looked on him, and passed by on the other side.

33 But a certain Samaritan, as he journeyed, came where he was: and when he saw him, he had compassion on him,

34 And went to him, and bound up his wounds, pouring in oil and wine, and set him on his own beast, and brought him to an inn, and took care of him.

35 And on the morrow when he departed, he took out two pence, and gave them to the host, and said unto him, Take care of him; and whatsoever thou spendest more, when I come again, I will repay thee.

36 Which now of these three, thinkest thou, was neighbour unto him that fell among the thieves?

37 And he said, He that shewed mercy on him. Then said Jesus unto him, Go, and do thou likewise.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum