Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Join our study and walk through the Bible with us.

Latest topics
» Num 22:39-40
Doesn’t God Care? By Poh Fang Chia EmptyTue Nov 06, 2018 3:43 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:27-28
Doesn’t God Care? By Poh Fang Chia EmptyTue Oct 30, 2018 3:43 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:26
Doesn’t God Care? By Poh Fang Chia EmptyTue Oct 23, 2018 4:04 am by clark thompson

» Num 22:37-38
Doesn’t God Care? By Poh Fang Chia EmptyTue Oct 16, 2018 3:31 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:24-25
Doesn’t God Care? By Poh Fang Chia EmptyTue Oct 09, 2018 4:08 am by clark thompson

» Num 22:30-32
Doesn’t God Care? By Poh Fang Chia EmptyWed Aug 22, 2018 4:16 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:13-15
Doesn’t God Care? By Poh Fang Chia EmptyTue Aug 14, 2018 3:36 am by clark thompson

» A Hopeful Lament By Amy Peterson
Doesn’t God Care? By Poh Fang Chia EmptyFri Aug 10, 2018 11:42 am by LesBrewer

» What does the Bible say about pettiness?
Doesn’t God Care? By Poh Fang Chia EmptyFri Aug 10, 2018 11:03 am by LesBrewer

» A Good Daddy By Xochitl Dixon
Doesn’t God Care? By Poh Fang Chia EmptyThu Aug 09, 2018 1:57 am by LesBrewer

» Num 22:28-29
Doesn’t God Care? By Poh Fang Chia EmptyWed Aug 08, 2018 10:32 pm by clark thompson

» When the Bottom Drops Out By Poh Fang Chia
Doesn’t God Care? By Poh Fang Chia EmptyTue Aug 07, 2018 3:22 pm by LesBrewer

» The Joy of Giving By Leslie Koh
Doesn’t God Care? By Poh Fang Chia EmptyMon Aug 06, 2018 4:34 pm by LesBrewer

» Hard Mysteries By Amy Boucher Pye
Doesn’t God Care? By Poh Fang Chia EmptySun Aug 05, 2018 6:05 pm by LesBrewer

» Forgiven?
Doesn’t God Care? By Poh Fang Chia EmptySun Aug 05, 2018 5:42 pm by LesBrewer

May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Location Map
Bible Search
Search the Bible:

Examples: Psalm 27; John 15
love one another; Psalm 23

WEEKLY WISDOM

You are not connected. Please login or register

Doesn’t God Care? By Poh Fang Chia

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Doesn’t God Care? By Poh Fang Chia Empty Doesn’t God Care? By Poh Fang Chia Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:24 am

LesBrewer

LesBrewer

Doesn’t God Care? By Poh Fang Chia

Doesn’t God Care? By Poh Fang Chia 17-770x425

Read: Habakkuk 1:1-11

“For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,” declares the Lord. Isaiah 55:8

Why does the intoxicated driver escape an accident unharmed while his sober victim is seriously injured? Why do bad people prosper while good people suffer? How often have you been so confused by things going on in your life that you have cried out, “Doesn’t God care?”

Habakkuk struggled with this same question as he saw the distressing situation in Judah where wickedness and injustice were running rampant (Hab. 1:1-4). His confusion drove him to ask God when He would act to fix the situation. God’s reply was nothing short of perplexing.

God said that He would use the Chaldeans as the means of Judah’s correction. The Chaldeans were notorious for their cruelty (v. 7). They were bent on violence (v. 9) and worshiped nothing but their military prowess and false gods (vv. 10-11).

In moments when we don’t understand God’s ways, we need to trust His unchanging character. That’s exactly what Habakkuk did. He believed that God is a God of justice, mercy, and truth (Ps. 89:14). In the process, he learned to look at his circumstances from the framework of God’s character instead of looking at God’s character from the context of his own circumstances. He concluded, “The Sovereign Lord is my strength; he makes my feet like the feet of a deer, he enables me to tread on the heights” (Hab. 3:19).

Lord, it is easy to let my circumstances change how I understand You. Help me to remember that You are good and faithful, even though I can’t see everything and may not understand how You are working.

Our situation may look very different from God’s point of view.

Insight:

The book of Habakkuk is a dialogue between the prophet Habakkuk and God. Ministering to the rebellious kingdom of Judah 120 years after Assyria destroyed the northern kingdom of Israel, Habakkuk was perplexed as to why God had not punished Judah for her sin (1:2-4). God responded that He would use the Babylonians to punish Judah (vv. 5-11). Habakkuk was even more perplexed that a holy God would use an evil pagan nation to discipline His own people (1:12–2:1). He then learned that God would punish Babylon too (2:2-20). Habakkuk, praising God’s faithfulness (3:1-15), affirms his trust in God to do what is right (vv. 16-19). Sim Kay Tee

Habakkuk 1:1-11 King James Version (KJV)

1 The burden which Habakkuk the prophet did see.

2 O Lord, how long shall I cry, and thou wilt not hear! even cry out unto thee of violence, and thou wilt not save!

3 Why dost thou shew me iniquity, and cause me to behold grievance? for spoiling and violence are before me: and there are that raise up strife and contention.

4 Therefore the law is slacked, and judgment doth never go forth: for the wicked doth compass about the righteous; therefore wrong judgment proceedeth.

5 Behold ye among the heathen, and regard, and wonder marvelously: for I will work a work in your days which ye will not believe, though it be told you.

6 For, lo, I raise up the Chaldeans, that bitter and hasty nation, which shall march through the breadth of the land, to possess the dwellingplaces that are not their's.

7 They are terrible and dreadful: their judgment and their dignity shall proceed of themselves.

8 Their horses also are swifter than the leopards, and are more fierce than the evening wolves: and their horsemen shall spread themselves, and their horsemen shall come from far; they shall fly as the eagle that hasteth to eat.

9 They shall come all for violence: their faces shall sup up as the east wind, and they shall gather the captivity as the sand.

10 And they shall scoff at the kings, and the princes shall be a scorn unto them: they shall deride every strong hold; for they shall heap dust, and take it.

11 Then shall his mind change, and he shall pass over, and offend, imputing this his power unto his god.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum