Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Join our study and walk through the Bible with us.

Latest topics
» Num 22:39-40
Angry Prayers By Shelly Beach EmptyTue Nov 06, 2018 3:43 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:27-28
Angry Prayers By Shelly Beach EmptyTue Oct 30, 2018 3:43 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:26
Angry Prayers By Shelly Beach EmptyTue Oct 23, 2018 4:04 am by clark thompson

» Num 22:37-38
Angry Prayers By Shelly Beach EmptyTue Oct 16, 2018 3:31 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:24-25
Angry Prayers By Shelly Beach EmptyTue Oct 09, 2018 4:08 am by clark thompson

» Num 22:30-32
Angry Prayers By Shelly Beach EmptyWed Aug 22, 2018 4:16 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:13-15
Angry Prayers By Shelly Beach EmptyTue Aug 14, 2018 3:36 am by clark thompson

» A Hopeful Lament By Amy Peterson
Angry Prayers By Shelly Beach EmptyFri Aug 10, 2018 11:42 am by LesBrewer

» What does the Bible say about pettiness?
Angry Prayers By Shelly Beach EmptyFri Aug 10, 2018 11:03 am by LesBrewer

» A Good Daddy By Xochitl Dixon
Angry Prayers By Shelly Beach EmptyThu Aug 09, 2018 1:57 am by LesBrewer

» Num 22:28-29
Angry Prayers By Shelly Beach EmptyWed Aug 08, 2018 10:32 pm by clark thompson

» When the Bottom Drops Out By Poh Fang Chia
Angry Prayers By Shelly Beach EmptyTue Aug 07, 2018 3:22 pm by LesBrewer

» The Joy of Giving By Leslie Koh
Angry Prayers By Shelly Beach EmptyMon Aug 06, 2018 4:34 pm by LesBrewer

» Hard Mysteries By Amy Boucher Pye
Angry Prayers By Shelly Beach EmptySun Aug 05, 2018 6:05 pm by LesBrewer

» Forgiven?
Angry Prayers By Shelly Beach EmptySun Aug 05, 2018 5:42 pm by LesBrewer

May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Location Map
Bible Search
Search the Bible:

Examples: Psalm 27; John 15
love one another; Psalm 23

WEEKLY WISDOM

You are not connected. Please login or register

Angry Prayers By Shelly Beach

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Angry Prayers By Shelly Beach Empty Angry Prayers By Shelly Beach Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:42 am

LesBrewer

LesBrewer

Angry Prayers By Shelly Beach

Angry Prayers By Shelly Beach 05-770x425

Read: Psalm 86:1-13

Fools give full vent to their rage, but the wise bring calm in the end.

Proverbs 29:11

The neighbors probably didn’t know what to think as they looked out their windows at me one wintry day. I was standing in the driveway with a garden shovel clutched in my hands, whacking wildly and angrily at a clump of ice that had formed beneath a corner gutter. With each smack, I was uttering prayers that were variations on one theme: “I can’t do this.” “You can’t expect me to do this.” “I don’t have the strength to do this.” As a caregiver, with a long list of responsibilities to handle, I now had this ice to deal with, and I had had enough!

My anger was wrapped around a bundle of lies: “I deserve better than this.” “God isn’t enough after all.” “Nobody cares anyway.” But when we choose to cling to our anger, we become mired in the trap of bitterness, never moving forward. And the only cure for anger is truth.

The truth is that God does not give us what we deserve; He gives us mercy instead. “You, Lord, are forgiving and good, abounding in love to all who call to you” (Ps. 86:5). The truth is that God is more than enough, despite what we see. The truth is that His strength is sufficient (2 Cor. 12:9). Yet before we can find such reassurance, we may need to step back, lay down the shovel of our own efforts, and take Jesus’ hand that’s extended to us in mercy and grace.

God is big enough to listen to our anger and loving enough to show us, in His time, the path forward.

Loving God, forgive me for my outbursts of anger. Today I choose to lay down my sinful anger and accept Your mercy and grace. Thank You for forgiveness and for truth that leads to wisdom.

Shelly Beach is the author of several books, including Precious Lord, Take My Hand: Meditations for Caregivers.

Grace: Getting what we don’t deserve.

Mercy: Not getting what we do deserve.

Insight:

The psalms are often read as windows to the soul—songs that reflect the reality of our emotions and struggles. They encourage us to understand that God can handle our honesty as we express ourselves to Him. Yes, God is big enough to absorb our anger and listen to our complaints, but we must not overlook the context in which the writers of the psalms expressed their feelings. In today’s passage, over and over David recognizes his place in relationship to God. He acknowledges that he is “poor and needy” (v. 1), he is faithful to God and trusts in Him (v. 2), and he is God’s “servant” (v. 4). It is important that we understand who we are in relationship to God when we bring our hurts and struggles to Him. J.R. Hudberg

Psalm 86:1-13 King James Version (KJV)

86 Bow down thine ear, O Lord, hear me: for I am poor and needy.

2 Preserve my soul; for I am holy: O thou my God, save thy servant that trusteth in thee.

3 Be merciful unto me, O Lord: for I cry unto thee daily.

4 Rejoice the soul of thy servant: for unto thee, O Lord, do I lift up my soul.

5 For thou, Lord, art good, and ready to forgive; and plenteous in mercy unto all them that call upon thee.

6 Give ear, O Lord, unto my prayer; and attend to the voice of my supplications.

7 In the day of my trouble I will call upon thee: for thou wilt answer me.

8 Among the gods there is none like unto thee, O Lord; neither are there any works like unto thy works.

9 All nations whom thou hast made shall come and worship before thee, O Lord; and shall glorify thy name.

10 For thou art great, and doest wondrous things: thou art God alone.

11 Teach me thy way, O Lord; I will walk in thy truth: unite my heart to fear thy name.

12 I will praise thee, O Lord my God, with all my heart: and I will glorify thy name for evermore.

13 For great is thy mercy toward me: and thou hast delivered my soul from the lowest hell.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum