Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Join our study and walk through the Bible with us.

Latest topics
» Num 22:39-40
The Big Stink By Marvin Williams EmptyTue Nov 06, 2018 3:43 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:27-28
The Big Stink By Marvin Williams EmptyTue Oct 30, 2018 3:43 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:26
The Big Stink By Marvin Williams EmptyTue Oct 23, 2018 4:04 am by clark thompson

» Num 22:37-38
The Big Stink By Marvin Williams EmptyTue Oct 16, 2018 3:31 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:24-25
The Big Stink By Marvin Williams EmptyTue Oct 09, 2018 4:08 am by clark thompson

» Num 22:30-32
The Big Stink By Marvin Williams EmptyWed Aug 22, 2018 4:16 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:13-15
The Big Stink By Marvin Williams EmptyTue Aug 14, 2018 3:36 am by clark thompson

» A Hopeful Lament By Amy Peterson
The Big Stink By Marvin Williams EmptyFri Aug 10, 2018 11:42 am by LesBrewer

» What does the Bible say about pettiness?
The Big Stink By Marvin Williams EmptyFri Aug 10, 2018 11:03 am by LesBrewer

» A Good Daddy By Xochitl Dixon
The Big Stink By Marvin Williams EmptyThu Aug 09, 2018 1:57 am by LesBrewer

» Num 22:28-29
The Big Stink By Marvin Williams EmptyWed Aug 08, 2018 10:32 pm by clark thompson

» When the Bottom Drops Out By Poh Fang Chia
The Big Stink By Marvin Williams EmptyTue Aug 07, 2018 3:22 pm by LesBrewer

» The Joy of Giving By Leslie Koh
The Big Stink By Marvin Williams EmptyMon Aug 06, 2018 4:34 pm by LesBrewer

» Hard Mysteries By Amy Boucher Pye
The Big Stink By Marvin Williams EmptySun Aug 05, 2018 6:05 pm by LesBrewer

» Forgiven?
The Big Stink By Marvin Williams EmptySun Aug 05, 2018 5:42 pm by LesBrewer

May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Location Map
Bible Search
Search the Bible:

Examples: Psalm 27; John 15
love one another; Psalm 23

WEEKLY WISDOM

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Big Stink By Marvin Williams

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1The Big Stink By Marvin Williams Empty The Big Stink By Marvin Williams Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:35 am

LesBrewer

LesBrewer

The Big Stink By Marvin Williams

The Big Stink By Marvin Williams 13-770x425

Read: Genesis 3:6-13,22-24

God knows that when you eat from it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.

Genesis 3:5

In August 2013, large crowds gathered at the Phipps Conservatory in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, to witness the blooming of the tropical plant known as the corpse flower. Since the flower is native to Indonesia, and may flower only once every several years, its blooming is a spectacle. Once open, the huge spiky, beautiful, red bloom smells like rotten meat. Because of its putrid fragrance, the flower attracts flies and beetles that are looking for rotting meat. But there is no nectar.

Like the corpse flower, sin holds out promises but in the end offers no rewards. Adam and Eve found this out the hard way. Eden was beautiful until they ruined it by doing the one thing God urged them not to do. Tempted to doubt God’s goodness, they ignored their Creator’s loving warning and soon lost their innocence. The God-given beauty of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil became like a corpse flower to them. The reward for their disobedience was alienation, pain, emptiness, toil, and death.

Sin looks inviting and may feel good, but it doesn’t compare with the wonder, beauty, and fragrance of trusting and obeying God, who has made us to share His life and joy.

What temptations are you facing today? Remember that God promises to help you fight against temptation. Ask Him to help you remember to rely on Him.

God’s commands can overpower Satan’s suggestions.

Insight:

Today’s passage records the entrance of sin into an innocent world. But it also records God’s grace in response to sin. Rather than let Adam and Eve eat from the tree of life and live forever in their sin, God graciously blocked the way to that tree (vv. 22-23). J.R. Hudberg

Genesis 3:6-13 King James Version (KJV)

6 And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat.

7 And the eyes of them both were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together, and made themselves aprons.

8 And they heard the voice of the Lord God walking in the garden in the cool of the day: and Adam and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the Lord God amongst the trees of the garden.

9 And the Lord God called unto Adam, and said unto him, Where art thou?

10 And he said, I heard thy voice in the garden, and I was afraid, because I was naked; and I hid myself.

11 And he said, Who told thee that thou wast naked? Hast thou eaten of the tree, whereof I commanded thee that thou shouldest not eat?

12 And the man said, The woman whom thou gavest to be with me, she gave me of the tree, and I did eat.

13 And the Lord God said unto the woman, What is this that thou hast done? And the woman said, The serpent beguiled me, and I did eat.

Genesis 3:22-24 King James Version (KJV)

22 And the Lord God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:

23 Therefore the Lord God sent him forth from the garden of Eden, to till the ground from whence he was taken.

24 So he drove out the man; and he placed at the east of the garden of Eden Cherubims, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum