Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Join our study and walk through the Bible with us.

Latest topics
» Num 22:39-40
We Can Know By Lawrence Darmani EmptyTue Nov 06, 2018 3:43 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:27-28
We Can Know By Lawrence Darmani EmptyTue Oct 30, 2018 3:43 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:26
We Can Know By Lawrence Darmani EmptyTue Oct 23, 2018 4:04 am by clark thompson

» Num 22:37-38
We Can Know By Lawrence Darmani EmptyTue Oct 16, 2018 3:31 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:24-25
We Can Know By Lawrence Darmani EmptyTue Oct 09, 2018 4:08 am by clark thompson

» Num 22:30-32
We Can Know By Lawrence Darmani EmptyWed Aug 22, 2018 4:16 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:13-15
We Can Know By Lawrence Darmani EmptyTue Aug 14, 2018 3:36 am by clark thompson

» A Hopeful Lament By Amy Peterson
We Can Know By Lawrence Darmani EmptyFri Aug 10, 2018 11:42 am by LesBrewer

» What does the Bible say about pettiness?
We Can Know By Lawrence Darmani EmptyFri Aug 10, 2018 11:03 am by LesBrewer

» A Good Daddy By Xochitl Dixon
We Can Know By Lawrence Darmani EmptyThu Aug 09, 2018 1:57 am by LesBrewer

» Num 22:28-29
We Can Know By Lawrence Darmani EmptyWed Aug 08, 2018 10:32 pm by clark thompson

» When the Bottom Drops Out By Poh Fang Chia
We Can Know By Lawrence Darmani EmptyTue Aug 07, 2018 3:22 pm by LesBrewer

» The Joy of Giving By Leslie Koh
We Can Know By Lawrence Darmani EmptyMon Aug 06, 2018 4:34 pm by LesBrewer

» Hard Mysteries By Amy Boucher Pye
We Can Know By Lawrence Darmani EmptySun Aug 05, 2018 6:05 pm by LesBrewer

» Forgiven?
We Can Know By Lawrence Darmani EmptySun Aug 05, 2018 5:42 pm by LesBrewer

May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Location Map
Bible Search
Search the Bible:

Examples: Psalm 27; John 15
love one another; Psalm 23

WEEKLY WISDOM

You are not connected. Please login or register

We Can Know By Lawrence Darmani

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1We Can Know By Lawrence Darmani Empty We Can Know By Lawrence Darmani Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:20 am

LesBrewer

LesBrewer

We Can Know By Lawrence Darmani

We Can Know By Lawrence Darmani 01-770x425

Read: 1 John 5:10-15

I write these things to you . . . that you may know that you have eternal life. 1 John 5:13

As I sat on a train headed for an important appointment, I began to wonder if I was on the right train. I had never traveled that route before and had failed to ask for help. Finally, overcome by uncertainty and doubt, I exited at the next station—only to be told I had indeed been on the right train!

That incident reminded me how doubt can rob us of peace and confidence. At one time I had struggled with the assurance of my salvation, but God helped me deal with my doubt. Later, after sharing the story of my conversion and my assurance that I was going to heaven, someone asked, “How can you be sure you are saved and going to heaven?” I confidently but humbly pointed to the verse that God had used to help me: “I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God so that you may know that you have eternal life” (1 John 5:13).

God promises that through faith in His Son, Jesus, we already have eternal life: “God has given us eternal life, and this life is in his Son” (v. 11). This assurance sharpens our faith, lifts us up when we are downhearted, and gives us courage in times of doubt.

Dear Lord, during my times of doubt help me remember the promise of Your Word. Since I have invited Jesus into my life and placed my faith in His payment for my sins, You have promised me eternal life with You.

Recalling God’s promises destroys doubt.

Insight:

The Bible Knowledge Commentary says of John’s first epistle: “The letter contains no hint about the identity or location of the readers [to whom the letter was sent] beyond the fact that they are Christians. Since early church tradition associates John with the Roman province of Asia (in western Turkey), it has often been thought that the readers lived there. . . . [They] had been confronted with false teachers, whom John called antichrists (1 John 2:18–26). The exact character of these false teachers has been much discussed. Many have thought they were Gnostics who held to a strict dualism in which spiritual and material things were sharply distinguished.” Bill Crowder

1 John 5:10-15 King James Version (KJV)

10 He that believeth on the Son of God hath the witness in himself: he that believeth not God hath made him a liar; because he believeth not the record that God gave of his Son.

11 And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son.

12 He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life.

13 These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.

14 And this is the confidence that we have in him, that, if we ask any thing according to his will, he heareth us:

15 And if we know that he hear us, whatsoever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we desired of him.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum