Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Join our study and walk through the Bible with us.

Latest topics
» Num 22:39-40
An Inside View By Jennifer Benson Schuldt EmptyTue Nov 06, 2018 3:43 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:27-28
An Inside View By Jennifer Benson Schuldt EmptyTue Oct 30, 2018 3:43 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:26
An Inside View By Jennifer Benson Schuldt EmptyTue Oct 23, 2018 4:04 am by clark thompson

» Num 22:37-38
An Inside View By Jennifer Benson Schuldt EmptyTue Oct 16, 2018 3:31 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:24-25
An Inside View By Jennifer Benson Schuldt EmptyTue Oct 09, 2018 4:08 am by clark thompson

» Num 22:30-32
An Inside View By Jennifer Benson Schuldt EmptyWed Aug 22, 2018 4:16 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:13-15
An Inside View By Jennifer Benson Schuldt EmptyTue Aug 14, 2018 3:36 am by clark thompson

» A Hopeful Lament By Amy Peterson
An Inside View By Jennifer Benson Schuldt EmptyFri Aug 10, 2018 11:42 am by LesBrewer

» What does the Bible say about pettiness?
An Inside View By Jennifer Benson Schuldt EmptyFri Aug 10, 2018 11:03 am by LesBrewer

» A Good Daddy By Xochitl Dixon
An Inside View By Jennifer Benson Schuldt EmptyThu Aug 09, 2018 1:57 am by LesBrewer

» Num 22:28-29
An Inside View By Jennifer Benson Schuldt EmptyWed Aug 08, 2018 10:32 pm by clark thompson

» When the Bottom Drops Out By Poh Fang Chia
An Inside View By Jennifer Benson Schuldt EmptyTue Aug 07, 2018 3:22 pm by LesBrewer

» The Joy of Giving By Leslie Koh
An Inside View By Jennifer Benson Schuldt EmptyMon Aug 06, 2018 4:34 pm by LesBrewer

» Hard Mysteries By Amy Boucher Pye
An Inside View By Jennifer Benson Schuldt EmptySun Aug 05, 2018 6:05 pm by LesBrewer

» Forgiven?
An Inside View By Jennifer Benson Schuldt EmptySun Aug 05, 2018 5:42 pm by LesBrewer

May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Location Map
Bible Search
Search the Bible:

Examples: Psalm 27; John 15
love one another; Psalm 23

WEEKLY WISDOM

You are not connected. Please login or register

An Inside View By Jennifer Benson Schuldt

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1An Inside View By Jennifer Benson Schuldt Empty An Inside View By Jennifer Benson Schuldt Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:29 am

LesBrewer

LesBrewer

An Inside View By Jennifer Benson Schuldt

An Inside View By Jennifer Benson Schuldt 20-770x425

Read: 1 Samuel 16:1-7

The Lord looks at the heart. 1 Samuel 16:7

Retired physicist Arie van’t Riet creates works of art in an unusual way. He arranges plants and deceased animals in various compositions and then x-rays them. He scans the developed x-rays into a computer and then adds color to certain parts of his pictures. His artwork reveals the inner complexity of flowers, fish, birds, reptiles, and monkeys.

An inside view of something is often more fascinating and more significant than an exterior view. At first glance, Samuel thought Eliab looked like he could be Israel’s next king (1 Sam. 16:6). But God warned Samuel not to look at Eliab’s physical traits. He told Samuel, “People look at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart” (v. 7). God chose David, instead of Eliab, to be Israel’s next king.

When God looks at us, He is more interested in our hearts than our height, the state of our soul than the structure of our face. He doesn’t see us as too old, too young, too small, or too big. He zeroes in on the things that matter—our response to His love for us and our concern for other people (Matt. 22:37-39). Second Chronicles 6:30 says that God alone knows the human heart. When the God who has done so much for us looks at our heart, what does He see?

Dear God, help me to value what You value. As I follow Your example, I pray that You will be pleased with what You see in my heart.

The true measure of a person is what’s in the heart.

Insight:

David is often used as an example of the best and the worst of human behavior. Even though his sins are recorded in the pages of Scripture, the final verdict on his life is that he was a man “after God’s own heart” (1 Sam. 13:14; Acts 13:22). What we often miss is the reason that he is given this high acclaim. David’s nearness to the heart of God is reflected most by his repentance after he sinned. Acknowledging that God’s way is right (exemplified in the act of repentance) is the clearest demonstration of love for Him. J.R. Hudberg

1 Samuel 16:1-7 King James Version (KJV)

16 And the Lord said unto Samuel, How long wilt thou mourn for Saul, seeing I have rejected him from reigning over Israel? fill thine horn with oil, and go, I will send thee to Jesse the Bethlehemite: for I have provided me a king among his sons.

2 And Samuel said, How can I go? if Saul hear it, he will kill me. And the Lord said, Take an heifer with thee, and say, I am come to sacrifice to the Lord.

3 And call Jesse to the sacrifice, and I will shew thee what thou shalt do: and thou shalt anoint unto me him whom I name unto thee.

4 And Samuel did that which the Lord spake, and came to Bethlehem. And the elders of the town trembled at his coming, and said, Comest thou peaceably?

5 And he said, Peaceably: I am come to sacrifice unto the Lord: sanctify yourselves, and come with me to the sacrifice. And he sanctified Jesse and his sons, and called them to the sacrifice.

6 And it came to pass, when they were come, that he looked on Eliab, and said, Surely the Lord's anointed is before him.

7 But the Lord said unto Samuel, Look not on his countenance, or on the height of his stature; because I have refused him: for the Lord seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the Lord looketh on the heart.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum