Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Join our study and walk through the Bible with us.

Latest topics
» Num 22:39-40
Training for Life By Amy Boucher Pye EmptyTue Nov 06, 2018 3:43 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:27-28
Training for Life By Amy Boucher Pye EmptyTue Oct 30, 2018 3:43 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:26
Training for Life By Amy Boucher Pye EmptyTue Oct 23, 2018 4:04 am by clark thompson

» Num 22:37-38
Training for Life By Amy Boucher Pye EmptyTue Oct 16, 2018 3:31 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:24-25
Training for Life By Amy Boucher Pye EmptyTue Oct 09, 2018 4:08 am by clark thompson

» Num 22:30-32
Training for Life By Amy Boucher Pye EmptyWed Aug 22, 2018 4:16 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:13-15
Training for Life By Amy Boucher Pye EmptyTue Aug 14, 2018 3:36 am by clark thompson

» A Hopeful Lament By Amy Peterson
Training for Life By Amy Boucher Pye EmptyFri Aug 10, 2018 11:42 am by LesBrewer

» What does the Bible say about pettiness?
Training for Life By Amy Boucher Pye EmptyFri Aug 10, 2018 11:03 am by LesBrewer

» A Good Daddy By Xochitl Dixon
Training for Life By Amy Boucher Pye EmptyThu Aug 09, 2018 1:57 am by LesBrewer

» Num 22:28-29
Training for Life By Amy Boucher Pye EmptyWed Aug 08, 2018 10:32 pm by clark thompson

» When the Bottom Drops Out By Poh Fang Chia
Training for Life By Amy Boucher Pye EmptyTue Aug 07, 2018 3:22 pm by LesBrewer

» The Joy of Giving By Leslie Koh
Training for Life By Amy Boucher Pye EmptyMon Aug 06, 2018 4:34 pm by LesBrewer

» Hard Mysteries By Amy Boucher Pye
Training for Life By Amy Boucher Pye EmptySun Aug 05, 2018 6:05 pm by LesBrewer

» Forgiven?
Training for Life By Amy Boucher Pye EmptySun Aug 05, 2018 5:42 pm by LesBrewer

May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Location Map
Bible Search
Search the Bible:

Examples: Psalm 27; John 15
love one another; Psalm 23

WEEKLY WISDOM

You are not connected. Please login or register

Training for Life By Amy Boucher Pye

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Training for Life By Amy Boucher Pye Empty Training for Life By Amy Boucher Pye Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:27 am

LesBrewer

LesBrewer

Training for Life By Amy Boucher Pye

Training for Life By Amy Boucher Pye 03-770x425

Read: 1 Corinthians 9:24-27

I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest . . . I myself should become disqualified. 1 Corinthians 9:27 nkjv

I recently met a woman who has pushed her body and mind to the limit. She climbed mountains, faced death, and even broke a Guinness world record. Now she’s engaged in a different challenge—that of raising her special-needs child. The courage and faith she employed while ascending the mountains she now pours into motherhood.

In 1 Corinthians, the apostle Paul speaks of a runner competing in a race. After urging a church enamored with their rights to give consideration to one another (ch. 8), he explains how he sees the challenges of love and self-sacrifice to be like a marathon of endurance (ch. 9). As followers of Jesus, they are to relinquish their rights in obedience to Him.

As athletes train their bodies that they might win the crown, we too train our bodies and minds for our souls to flourish. As we ask the Holy Spirit to transform us, moment by moment, we leave our old selves behind. Empowered by God, we stop ourselves from uttering that cruel word. We put away our electronic device and remain present with our friends. We don’t have to speak the last word in a disagreement.

As we train to run in the Spirit of Christ, how might God want to mold us today?

Lord, let me not demand my rights, but train to win the prize that lasts forever.

Amy Boucher Pye is a writer, editor, and speaker. The author of Finding Myself in Britain: Our Search for Faith, Home, and True Identity, she runs the Woman Alive book club in the UK and enjoys life with her family in their English vicarage.

Training leads to transformation.

Insight:

Paul’s letter to the Corinthian church emphasizes the distinction between wisdom and folly and how in Christ God accomplishes His redemptive plan in unexpected ways (see 1:18–3:23). This letter also contains practical advice and everyday wisdom, as seen in today’s passage. Through two different metaphors (a runner and a boxer), Paul reminds the Corinthians that doing anything—especially following Christ—without a goal in mind is the height of foolishness. A runner with no destination will simply tire and quit, and a boxer beating the air never puts his training to practical use. We follow Christ to become like Him and receive the prize.

1 Corinthians 9:24-27King James Version (KJV)

24 Know ye not that they which run in a race run all, but one receiveth the prize? So run, that ye may obtain.

25 And every man that striveth for the mastery is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a corruptible crown; but we an incorruptible.

26 I therefore so run, not as uncertainly; so fight I, not as one that beateth the air:

27 But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum