Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Join our study and walk through the Bible with us.

Latest topics
» Num 22:39-40
Be Still By Philip Yancey EmptyTue Nov 06, 2018 3:43 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:27-28
Be Still By Philip Yancey EmptyTue Oct 30, 2018 3:43 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:26
Be Still By Philip Yancey EmptyTue Oct 23, 2018 4:04 am by clark thompson

» Num 22:37-38
Be Still By Philip Yancey EmptyTue Oct 16, 2018 3:31 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:24-25
Be Still By Philip Yancey EmptyTue Oct 09, 2018 4:08 am by clark thompson

» Num 22:30-32
Be Still By Philip Yancey EmptyWed Aug 22, 2018 4:16 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:13-15
Be Still By Philip Yancey EmptyTue Aug 14, 2018 3:36 am by clark thompson

» A Hopeful Lament By Amy Peterson
Be Still By Philip Yancey EmptyFri Aug 10, 2018 11:42 am by LesBrewer

» What does the Bible say about pettiness?
Be Still By Philip Yancey EmptyFri Aug 10, 2018 11:03 am by LesBrewer

» A Good Daddy By Xochitl Dixon
Be Still By Philip Yancey EmptyThu Aug 09, 2018 1:57 am by LesBrewer

» Num 22:28-29
Be Still By Philip Yancey EmptyWed Aug 08, 2018 10:32 pm by clark thompson

» When the Bottom Drops Out By Poh Fang Chia
Be Still By Philip Yancey EmptyTue Aug 07, 2018 3:22 pm by LesBrewer

» The Joy of Giving By Leslie Koh
Be Still By Philip Yancey EmptyMon Aug 06, 2018 4:34 pm by LesBrewer

» Hard Mysteries By Amy Boucher Pye
Be Still By Philip Yancey EmptySun Aug 05, 2018 6:05 pm by LesBrewer

» Forgiven?
Be Still By Philip Yancey EmptySun Aug 05, 2018 5:42 pm by LesBrewer

May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Location Map
Bible Search
Search the Bible:

Examples: Psalm 27; John 15
love one another; Psalm 23

WEEKLY WISDOM

You are not connected. Please login or register

Be Still By Philip Yancey

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Be Still By Philip Yancey Empty Be Still By Philip Yancey Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:16 am

LesBrewer

LesBrewer

Be Still By Philip Yancey

Be Still By Philip Yancey 22-770x425

Read: Psalm 46

Be still, and know that I am God.

Psalm 46:10

Years ago I responded to letters within a couple of weeks and kept my correspondents happy. Then came the fax machine, and they seemed content with receiving a response within a couple of days. Today, with email, instant messaging, and mobile phones, a response is expected the same day!

“Be still, and know that I am God.” In this familiar verse from Psalm 46 I read two commands of equal importance. First, we must be still, something that modern life conspires against. In this hectic, buzzing world, even a few moments of quiet do not come naturally to us. And stillness prepares us for the second command: “Know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.” In the midst of a world that colludes to suppress, not exalt, God, how do I carve out time and allow Him to nourish my inner life?
In prayer, God can quiet our minds.

“Prayer,” writes Patricia Hampl, “is a habit of attention brought to bear on all that is.” Ah, prayer . . . a habit of attention. Be still and know. The first step in prayer is to acknowledge or to “know” that God is God. And in that attention, that focus, all else comes into focus. Prayer allows us to admit our failures, weaknesses, and limitations to the One who responds to human vulnerability with infinite mercy.

Dear Lord, help me to be still. Nourish my soul as I spend time with You in prayer.

In prayer, God can quiet our minds.

INSIGHT:

Today’s Scripture passage ends with one of the most well-known and beloved phrases in the Bible: “Be still, and know that I am God” (v. 10). The Hebrew word translated “be still” can also be translated “become helpless,” “collapse,” “cease,” “fall limp,” and “relax.” The sense is to stop striving. So Psalm 46 could be translated, “Relax, and know that I am God.” Transformation, deliverance, and resurrection are all works of God; we just need to relax and acknowledge who He is.

Psalm 46 King James Version (KJV)

46 God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.

2 Therefore will not we fear, though the earth be removed, and though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea;

3 Though the waters thereof roar and be troubled, though the mountains shake with the swelling thereof. Selah.

4 There is a river, the streams whereof shall make glad the city of God, the holy place of the tabernacles of the most High.

5 God is in the midst of her; she shall not be moved: God shall help her, and that right early.

6 The heathen raged, the kingdoms were moved: he uttered his voice, the earth melted.

7 The Lord of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge. Selah.

8 Come, behold the works of the Lord, what desolations he hath made in the earth.

9 He maketh wars to cease unto the end of the earth; he breaketh the bow, and cutteth the spear in sunder; he burneth the chariot in the fire.

10 Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth.

11 The Lord of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge. Selah.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum