Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Join our study and walk through the Bible with us.

Latest topics
» Num 22:39-40
Safety Net By Philip Yancey EmptyTue Nov 06, 2018 3:43 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:27-28
Safety Net By Philip Yancey EmptyTue Oct 30, 2018 3:43 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:26
Safety Net By Philip Yancey EmptyTue Oct 23, 2018 4:04 am by clark thompson

» Num 22:37-38
Safety Net By Philip Yancey EmptyTue Oct 16, 2018 3:31 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:24-25
Safety Net By Philip Yancey EmptyTue Oct 09, 2018 4:08 am by clark thompson

» Num 22:30-32
Safety Net By Philip Yancey EmptyWed Aug 22, 2018 4:16 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:13-15
Safety Net By Philip Yancey EmptyTue Aug 14, 2018 3:36 am by clark thompson

» A Hopeful Lament By Amy Peterson
Safety Net By Philip Yancey EmptyFri Aug 10, 2018 11:42 am by LesBrewer

» What does the Bible say about pettiness?
Safety Net By Philip Yancey EmptyFri Aug 10, 2018 11:03 am by LesBrewer

» A Good Daddy By Xochitl Dixon
Safety Net By Philip Yancey EmptyThu Aug 09, 2018 1:57 am by LesBrewer

» Num 22:28-29
Safety Net By Philip Yancey EmptyWed Aug 08, 2018 10:32 pm by clark thompson

» When the Bottom Drops Out By Poh Fang Chia
Safety Net By Philip Yancey EmptyTue Aug 07, 2018 3:22 pm by LesBrewer

» The Joy of Giving By Leslie Koh
Safety Net By Philip Yancey EmptyMon Aug 06, 2018 4:34 pm by LesBrewer

» Hard Mysteries By Amy Boucher Pye
Safety Net By Philip Yancey EmptySun Aug 05, 2018 6:05 pm by LesBrewer

» Forgiven?
Safety Net By Philip Yancey EmptySun Aug 05, 2018 5:42 pm by LesBrewer

May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Location Map
Bible Search
Search the Bible:

Examples: Psalm 27; John 15
love one another; Psalm 23

WEEKLY WISDOM

You are not connected. Please login or register

Safety Net By Philip Yancey

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Safety Net By Philip Yancey Empty Safety Net By Philip Yancey Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:56 am

LesBrewer

LesBrewer

Safety Net By Philip Yancey

Safety Net By Philip Yancey 11-770x425

Read: Matthew 5:43–48

Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect. Matthew 5:48

For years I thought of the Sermon on the Mount (Matt. 5–7) as a blueprint for human behavior, a standard no one could possibly meet. How could I have missed the true meaning? Jesus spoke these words not to frustrate us, but to tell us what God is like.

Why should we love our enemies? Because our merciful Father causes His sun to rise on the evil and the good. Why store up treasures in heaven? Because the Father lives there and will lavishly reward us. Why live without fear and worry? Because the same God who clothes the lilies and the grass of the field has promised to take care of us. Why pray? If an earthly father gives his son bread or fish, how much more will the Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask?

Jesus gave the Sermon on the Mount (Matt. 5–7) not only to explain God’s ideal toward which we should never stop striving but also to show that in this life none of us will ever reach that ideal.

Before God, we all stand on level ground: murderers and tantrum-throwers, adulterers and lusters, thieves and coveters. We are all desperate, and that is the only state appropriate to a human being who wants to know God. Having fallen from the absolute ideal, we have nowhere to land but in the safety net of absolute grace.

Dear Lord, I am a sinner and I need Your forgiveness. I believe that You died on the cross to pay the penalty for my sin. You did what I could not do for myself, and in humility I accept Your gift of grace. Help me to live a life that is pleasing to You.

Only God can transform a sinful soul into a masterpiece of grace.

INSIGHT:

The final verse in today’s reading is often used as an encouragement to live morally pure lives: “Be perfect . . . as your heavenly Father is perfect.” Jesus’s words in this passage, however, are more than moral instruction. The word translated “perfect” in the original language means “mature,” “complete,” or “grown-up.” Perfection in this context includes loving and praying for those who seek to do us harm—just as Christ did on the cross. When we love our enemies, we mirror the perfection of heaven and the heart of the Father.

Matthew 5:43-48 King James Version (KJV)

43 Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy.

44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;

45 That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.

46 For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same?

47 And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more than others? do not even the publicans so?

48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum