Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Join our study and walk through the Bible with us.

Latest topics
» Num 22:39-40
When the Woods Wake Up - By Julie Ackerman EmptyTue Nov 06, 2018 3:43 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:27-28
When the Woods Wake Up - By Julie Ackerman EmptyTue Oct 30, 2018 3:43 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:26
When the Woods Wake Up - By Julie Ackerman EmptyTue Oct 23, 2018 4:04 am by clark thompson

» Num 22:37-38
When the Woods Wake Up - By Julie Ackerman EmptyTue Oct 16, 2018 3:31 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:24-25
When the Woods Wake Up - By Julie Ackerman EmptyTue Oct 09, 2018 4:08 am by clark thompson

» Num 22:30-32
When the Woods Wake Up - By Julie Ackerman EmptyWed Aug 22, 2018 4:16 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:13-15
When the Woods Wake Up - By Julie Ackerman EmptyTue Aug 14, 2018 3:36 am by clark thompson

» A Hopeful Lament By Amy Peterson
When the Woods Wake Up - By Julie Ackerman EmptyFri Aug 10, 2018 11:42 am by LesBrewer

» What does the Bible say about pettiness?
When the Woods Wake Up - By Julie Ackerman EmptyFri Aug 10, 2018 11:03 am by LesBrewer

» A Good Daddy By Xochitl Dixon
When the Woods Wake Up - By Julie Ackerman EmptyThu Aug 09, 2018 1:57 am by LesBrewer

» Num 22:28-29
When the Woods Wake Up - By Julie Ackerman EmptyWed Aug 08, 2018 10:32 pm by clark thompson

» When the Bottom Drops Out By Poh Fang Chia
When the Woods Wake Up - By Julie Ackerman EmptyTue Aug 07, 2018 3:22 pm by LesBrewer

» The Joy of Giving By Leslie Koh
When the Woods Wake Up - By Julie Ackerman EmptyMon Aug 06, 2018 4:34 pm by LesBrewer

» Hard Mysteries By Amy Boucher Pye
When the Woods Wake Up - By Julie Ackerman EmptySun Aug 05, 2018 6:05 pm by LesBrewer

» Forgiven?
When the Woods Wake Up - By Julie Ackerman EmptySun Aug 05, 2018 5:42 pm by LesBrewer

May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Location Map
Bible Search
Search the Bible:

Examples: Psalm 27; John 15
love one another; Psalm 23

WEEKLY WISDOM

You are not connected. Please login or register

When the Woods Wake Up - By Julie Ackerman

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1When the Woods Wake Up - By Julie Ackerman Empty When the Woods Wake Up - By Julie Ackerman Wed May 25, 2016 11:39 am

LesBrewer

LesBrewer

When the Woods Wake Up - By Julie Ackerman

When the Woods Wake Up - By Julie Ackerman 25-770x425

Read: John 11:14-27

I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die. John 11:25

Through cold, snowy winters, the hope of spring sustains those of us who live in Michigan. May is the month when that hope is rewarded. The transformation is remarkable. Limbs that look lifeless on May 1 turn into branches that wave green leafy greetings by month’s end. Although the change each day is imperceptible, by the end of the month the woods in my yard have changed from gray to green.

God has built into creation a cycle of rest and renewal. What looks like death to us is rest to God. And just as rest is preparation for renewal, death is preparation for resurrection.

I love watching the woods awaken every spring, for it reminds me that death is a temporary condition and that its purpose is to prepare for new life, a new beginning, for something even better. “Unless a kernel of wheat falls to the ground and dies, it remains only a single seed. But if it dies, it produces many seeds” (John 12:24).

While pollen is a springtime nuisance when it coats my furniture and makes people sneeze, it reminds me that God is in the business of keeping things alive. And after the pain of death, He promises a glorious resurrection for those who believe in His Son.

Read these encouraging verses that remind us of the hope of resurrection: 1 Corinthians 15:35-58.

Every new leaf of springtime is a reminder of our promised resurrection.

INSIGHT:

John 11:1–27 is the third time the Gospels record Jesus raising someone from the dead. In Mark 5:22–43 Jesus goes to the house of a Jewish leader named Jairus and raises his 12-year-old daughter. In Luke 7:11–17 Jesus interrupted a funeral procession in the town of Nain and brought a widow’s dead son back to life. John 11 is unique since it is the only time a name is given for the resurrected person. In this case Lazarus, an abbreviation of Eleazar, was brought back from the dead. His name means “one whom God helps.”

John 11:14-27 King James Version (KJV)

14 Then said Jesus unto them plainly, Lazarus is dead.

15 And I am glad for your sakes that I was not there, to the intent ye may believe; nevertheless let us go unto him.

16 Then said Thomas, which is called Didymus, unto his fellowdisciples, Let us also go, that we may die with him.

17 Then when Jesus came, he found that he had lain in the grave four days already.

18 Now Bethany was nigh unto Jerusalem, about fifteen furlongs off:

19 And many of the Jews came to Martha and Mary, to comfort them concerning their brother.

20 Then Martha, as soon as she heard that Jesus was coming, went and met him: but Mary sat still in the house.

21 Then said Martha unto Jesus, Lord, if thou hadst been here, my brother had not died.

22 But I know, that even now, whatsoever thou wilt ask of God, God will give it thee.

23 Jesus saith unto her, Thy brother shall rise again.

24 Martha saith unto him, I know that he shall rise again in the resurrection at the last day.

25 Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:

26 And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?

27 She saith unto him, Yea, Lord: I believe that thou art the Christ, the Son of God, which should come into the world.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum