Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Join our study and walk through the Bible with us.

Latest topics
» Num 22:39-40
The Language Of Whistling By mart de haan EmptyTue Nov 06, 2018 3:43 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:27-28
The Language Of Whistling By mart de haan EmptyTue Oct 30, 2018 3:43 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:26
The Language Of Whistling By mart de haan EmptyTue Oct 23, 2018 4:04 am by clark thompson

» Num 22:37-38
The Language Of Whistling By mart de haan EmptyTue Oct 16, 2018 3:31 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:24-25
The Language Of Whistling By mart de haan EmptyTue Oct 09, 2018 4:08 am by clark thompson

» Num 22:30-32
The Language Of Whistling By mart de haan EmptyWed Aug 22, 2018 4:16 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:13-15
The Language Of Whistling By mart de haan EmptyTue Aug 14, 2018 3:36 am by clark thompson

» A Hopeful Lament By Amy Peterson
The Language Of Whistling By mart de haan EmptyFri Aug 10, 2018 11:42 am by LesBrewer

» What does the Bible say about pettiness?
The Language Of Whistling By mart de haan EmptyFri Aug 10, 2018 11:03 am by LesBrewer

» A Good Daddy By Xochitl Dixon
The Language Of Whistling By mart de haan EmptyThu Aug 09, 2018 1:57 am by LesBrewer

» Num 22:28-29
The Language Of Whistling By mart de haan EmptyWed Aug 08, 2018 10:32 pm by clark thompson

» When the Bottom Drops Out By Poh Fang Chia
The Language Of Whistling By mart de haan EmptyTue Aug 07, 2018 3:22 pm by LesBrewer

» The Joy of Giving By Leslie Koh
The Language Of Whistling By mart de haan EmptyMon Aug 06, 2018 4:34 pm by LesBrewer

» Hard Mysteries By Amy Boucher Pye
The Language Of Whistling By mart de haan EmptySun Aug 05, 2018 6:05 pm by LesBrewer

» Forgiven?
The Language Of Whistling By mart de haan EmptySun Aug 05, 2018 5:42 pm by LesBrewer

April 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Location Map
Bible Search
Search the Bible:

Examples: Psalm 27; John 15
love one another; Psalm 23

WEEKLY WISDOM

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Language Of Whistling By mart de haan

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

LesBrewer

LesBrewer

The Language Of Whistling By mart de haan

Read: Zechariah 10:1-8

I will whistle for them and gather them, for I will redeem them. —Zechariah 10:8

On La Gomera, one of the smallest of the Canary Islands, a language that sounds like a bird song is being revived. In a land of deep valleys and steep ravines, schoolchildren and tourists are learning how whistling was once used to communicate for distances up to 2 miles. One goat herder who is using this ancient language once again to communicate with his flock said, “They recognize my whistle as they recognize my voice.”

The practice of whistling also shows up in the Bible, where God is described as a shepherd whistling for His sheep. This image could be what the prophet had in mind when he described how God will one day whistle to bring a wandering and scattered people back to Himself (Zech. 10:8).

Many years later Jesus said, “My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me” (John 10:27). That may be the whistle of a shepherd. Sheep don’t understand words, but they know the sound that signals the shepherd’s presence.

Misleading voices and distracting noises still compete for our attention (cf. Zech. 10:2). Yet God has ways of signaling us, even without words. By events that can be alarming or encouraging, He reminds us of His guiding, protecting, and reassuring presence.

Father, it is a noisy world. Thank You for
always calling to us above the din and
ruckus that distracts us. Help us to recognize
Your voice and follow Your leading.
The call of God can always be heard.

..................................................................................

Zechariah 10:1-8 King James Version (KJV)

10 Ask ye of the Lord rain in the time of the latter rain; so the Lord shall make bright clouds, and give them showers of rain, to every one grass in the field.

2 For the idols have spoken vanity, and the diviners have seen a lie, and have told false dreams; they comfort in vain: therefore they went their way as a flock, they were troubled, because there was no shepherd.

3 Mine anger was kindled against the shepherds, and I punished the goats: for the Lord of hosts hath visited his flock the house of Judah, and hath made them as his goodly horse in the battle.

4 Out of him came forth the corner, out of him the nail, out of him the battle bow, out of him every oppressor together.

5 And they shall be as mighty men, which tread down their enemies in the mire of the streets in the battle: and they shall fight, because the Lord is with them, and the riders on horses shall be confounded.

6 And I will strengthen the house of Judah, and I will save the house of Joseph, and I will bring them again to place them; for I have mercy upon them: and they shall be as though I had not cast them off: for I am the Lord their God, and will hear them.

7 And they of Ephraim shall be like a mighty man, and their heart shall rejoice as through wine: yea, their children shall see it, and be glad; their heart shall rejoice in the Lord.

8 I will hiss for them, and gather them; for I have redeemed them: and they shall increase as they have increased.

Yemima

Yemima
Admin

Thanks Les!

I cannot carry a tune by singing but I sure enjoy whistling.

LesBrewer

LesBrewer

Praise God!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum