Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Join our study and walk through the Bible with us.

Latest topics
» Num 22:39-40
Windfall By Mart De Haan EmptyTue Nov 06, 2018 3:43 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:27-28
Windfall By Mart De Haan EmptyTue Oct 30, 2018 3:43 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:26
Windfall By Mart De Haan EmptyTue Oct 23, 2018 4:04 am by clark thompson

» Num 22:37-38
Windfall By Mart De Haan EmptyTue Oct 16, 2018 3:31 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:24-25
Windfall By Mart De Haan EmptyTue Oct 09, 2018 4:08 am by clark thompson

» Num 22:30-32
Windfall By Mart De Haan EmptyWed Aug 22, 2018 4:16 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:13-15
Windfall By Mart De Haan EmptyTue Aug 14, 2018 3:36 am by clark thompson

» A Hopeful Lament By Amy Peterson
Windfall By Mart De Haan EmptyFri Aug 10, 2018 11:42 am by LesBrewer

» What does the Bible say about pettiness?
Windfall By Mart De Haan EmptyFri Aug 10, 2018 11:03 am by LesBrewer

» A Good Daddy By Xochitl Dixon
Windfall By Mart De Haan EmptyThu Aug 09, 2018 1:57 am by LesBrewer

» Num 22:28-29
Windfall By Mart De Haan EmptyWed Aug 08, 2018 10:32 pm by clark thompson

» When the Bottom Drops Out By Poh Fang Chia
Windfall By Mart De Haan EmptyTue Aug 07, 2018 3:22 pm by LesBrewer

» The Joy of Giving By Leslie Koh
Windfall By Mart De Haan EmptyMon Aug 06, 2018 4:34 pm by LesBrewer

» Hard Mysteries By Amy Boucher Pye
Windfall By Mart De Haan EmptySun Aug 05, 2018 6:05 pm by LesBrewer

» Forgiven?
Windfall By Mart De Haan EmptySun Aug 05, 2018 5:42 pm by LesBrewer

May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Location Map
Bible Search
Search the Bible:

Examples: Psalm 27; John 15
love one another; Psalm 23

WEEKLY WISDOM

You are not connected. Please login or register

Windfall By Mart De Haan

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Windfall By Mart De Haan Empty Windfall By Mart De Haan Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:54 pm

LesBrewer

LesBrewer

Windfall By Mart De Haan

Read: Proverbs 30:1-9

Give us this day our daily bread. —Matthew 6:11

Upon winning $314 million in a 2002 lottery, a happy business owner expressed noble desires. He wanted to start a charitable foundation, put laid-off workers back on the job, and do nice things for his family. Already wealthy, he told reporters the big win wouldn’t change him.

A few years later, a follow-up article described a different outcome. Since winning the biggest of all lotteries, the man had run into legal problems, lost his personal reputation, and gambled away all of his money.

A thoughtful man by the name of Agur wrote words that anticipate such heartbreak. Brought low by the awareness of his own natural inclinations (Prov. 30:2-3), Agur saw the dangers of having too much or too little. So he prayed, “Give me neither poverty nor riches—feed me with the food allotted to me; lest I be full and deny You, and say, ‘Who is the Lord?’ Or lest I be poor and steal, and profane the name of my God” (vv.8-9).

Agur saw the special challenges that come both with wealth and poverty, but also with our own tendencies. Each gives us reason for caution. Together they show our need for the One who taught us to pray, “Give us this day our daily bread.”
Lord, as we seek Your face today to ask for what we
need, help us to keep in mind that You are as wise in
what You don’t give us as what You do give us. So
often, You rescue us from our own sinful tendencies. Thank You.
Discontentment makes rich people poor, while contentment makes poor people rich.

Insight
The book of Proverbs is known for its practical wisdom. It provides insight into relationships, work ethic, wealth, education, and many other topics. Yet despite the many words of instruction intended to make us wise and help us to live rightly, there are reminders to be humble regardless of our level of wisdom or knowledge. Agur’s humility (30:2-3) came from recognizing who God is and who he is in relationship to God (vv.4-5). Proper recognition of God leads to an appropriate response to Him (vv.7-9).

.........................................................................................

Proverbs 30:1-9 King James Version (KJV)

30 The words of Agur the son of Jakeh, even the prophecy: the man spake unto Ithiel, even unto Ithiel and Ucal,

2 Surely I am more brutish than any man, and have not the understanding of a man.

3 I neither learned wisdom, nor have the knowledge of the holy.

4 Who hath ascended up into heaven, or descended? who hath gathered the wind in his fists? who hath bound the waters in a garment? who hath established all the ends of the earth? what is his name, and what is his son's name, if thou canst tell?

5 Every word of God is pure: he is a shield unto them that put their trust in him.

6 Add thou not unto his words, lest he reprove thee, and thou be found a liar.

7 Two things have I required of thee; deny me them not before I die:

8 Remove far from me vanity and lies: give me neither poverty nor riches; feed me with food convenient for me:

9 Lest I be full, and deny thee, and say, Who is the Lord? or lest I be poor, and steal, and take the name of my God in vain.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum