Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Join our study and walk through the Bible with us.

Latest topics
» Num 22:39-40
The Power Of Ritual By Julie Ackerman EmptyTue Nov 06, 2018 3:43 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:27-28
The Power Of Ritual By Julie Ackerman EmptyTue Oct 30, 2018 3:43 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:26
The Power Of Ritual By Julie Ackerman EmptyTue Oct 23, 2018 4:04 am by clark thompson

» Num 22:37-38
The Power Of Ritual By Julie Ackerman EmptyTue Oct 16, 2018 3:31 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:24-25
The Power Of Ritual By Julie Ackerman EmptyTue Oct 09, 2018 4:08 am by clark thompson

» Num 22:30-32
The Power Of Ritual By Julie Ackerman EmptyWed Aug 22, 2018 4:16 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:13-15
The Power Of Ritual By Julie Ackerman EmptyTue Aug 14, 2018 3:36 am by clark thompson

» A Hopeful Lament By Amy Peterson
The Power Of Ritual By Julie Ackerman EmptyFri Aug 10, 2018 11:42 am by LesBrewer

» What does the Bible say about pettiness?
The Power Of Ritual By Julie Ackerman EmptyFri Aug 10, 2018 11:03 am by LesBrewer

» A Good Daddy By Xochitl Dixon
The Power Of Ritual By Julie Ackerman EmptyThu Aug 09, 2018 1:57 am by LesBrewer

» Num 22:28-29
The Power Of Ritual By Julie Ackerman EmptyWed Aug 08, 2018 10:32 pm by clark thompson

» When the Bottom Drops Out By Poh Fang Chia
The Power Of Ritual By Julie Ackerman EmptyTue Aug 07, 2018 3:22 pm by LesBrewer

» The Joy of Giving By Leslie Koh
The Power Of Ritual By Julie Ackerman EmptyMon Aug 06, 2018 4:34 pm by LesBrewer

» Hard Mysteries By Amy Boucher Pye
The Power Of Ritual By Julie Ackerman EmptySun Aug 05, 2018 6:05 pm by LesBrewer

» Forgiven?
The Power Of Ritual By Julie Ackerman EmptySun Aug 05, 2018 5:42 pm by LesBrewer

April 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Location Map
Bible Search
Search the Bible:

Examples: Psalm 27; John 15
love one another; Psalm 23

WEEKLY WISDOM

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Power Of Ritual By Julie Ackerman

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1The Power Of Ritual By Julie Ackerman Empty The Power Of Ritual By Julie Ackerman Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:20 am

LesBrewer

LesBrewer

The Power Of Ritual By Julie Ackerman

Read: 1 Corinthians 11:23-34
Do this in remembrance of Me. —1 Corinthians 11:24

When I was growing up, one of the rules in our house was that we weren’t allowed to go to bed angry (Eph. 4:26). All our fights and disagreements had to be resolved. The companion to that rule was this bedtime ritual: Mom and Dad would say to my brother and me, “Good night. I love you.” And we would respond, “Good night. I love you too.”

The value of this family ritual has recently been impressed on me. As my mother lay in a hospice bed dying of lung cancer, she became less and less responsive. But each night when I left her bedside I would say, “I love you, Mom.” And though she could say little else, she would respond, “I love you too.” Growing up I had no idea what a gift this ritual would be to me so many years later.

Time and repetition can rob our rituals of meaning. But some are important reminders of vital spiritual truths. First-century believers misused the practice of the Lord’s Supper, but the apostle Paul didn’t tell them to stop celebrating it. Instead he told them, “As often as you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death till He comes” (1 Cor. 11:26).

Rather than give up the ritual, perhaps we need to restore the meaning.

Lord, when we observe the Lord’s Supper, help
us avoid the trap of letting our observance
grow routine. May we always be moved with
gratitude for the wonderful gift of ritual.
Any ritual can lose meaning, but that does not make the ritual meaningless.

Insight
On the evening Jesus celebrated His last Passover with His disciples, He also established His own memorial supper. The unleavened Passover bread symbolized the exodus from Egypt, and the cup echoed the Old Testament promise, “I will redeem you.”

1 Corinthians 11:23-34 King James Version (KJV)

23 For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, that the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed took bread:

24 And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me.

25 After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, this cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me.

26 For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come.

27 Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord.

28 But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup.

29 For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body.

30 For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep.

31 For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged.

32 But when we are judged, we are chastened of the Lord, that we should not be condemned with the world.

33 Wherefore, my brethren, when ye come together to eat, tarry one for another.

34 And if any man hunger, let him eat at home; that ye come not together unto condemnation. And the rest will I set in order when I come.

Yemima

Yemima
Admin

Thanks for posting this Les.

Reminds me of Ephesians 4:26 NIV

"In your anger do not sin": Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry,"

3The Power Of Ritual By Julie Ackerman Empty Re: The Power Of Ritual By Julie Ackerman Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:11 am

LesBrewer

LesBrewer

Amen!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum