Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Join our study and walk through the Bible with us.

Latest topics
» Num 22:39-40
Hope In Suffering By Julie Ackerman EmptyTue Nov 06, 2018 3:43 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:27-28
Hope In Suffering By Julie Ackerman EmptyTue Oct 30, 2018 3:43 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:26
Hope In Suffering By Julie Ackerman EmptyTue Oct 23, 2018 4:04 am by clark thompson

» Num 22:37-38
Hope In Suffering By Julie Ackerman EmptyTue Oct 16, 2018 3:31 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:24-25
Hope In Suffering By Julie Ackerman EmptyTue Oct 09, 2018 4:08 am by clark thompson

» Num 22:30-32
Hope In Suffering By Julie Ackerman EmptyWed Aug 22, 2018 4:16 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:13-15
Hope In Suffering By Julie Ackerman EmptyTue Aug 14, 2018 3:36 am by clark thompson

» A Hopeful Lament By Amy Peterson
Hope In Suffering By Julie Ackerman EmptyFri Aug 10, 2018 11:42 am by LesBrewer

» What does the Bible say about pettiness?
Hope In Suffering By Julie Ackerman EmptyFri Aug 10, 2018 11:03 am by LesBrewer

» A Good Daddy By Xochitl Dixon
Hope In Suffering By Julie Ackerman EmptyThu Aug 09, 2018 1:57 am by LesBrewer

» Num 22:28-29
Hope In Suffering By Julie Ackerman EmptyWed Aug 08, 2018 10:32 pm by clark thompson

» When the Bottom Drops Out By Poh Fang Chia
Hope In Suffering By Julie Ackerman EmptyTue Aug 07, 2018 3:22 pm by LesBrewer

» The Joy of Giving By Leslie Koh
Hope In Suffering By Julie Ackerman EmptyMon Aug 06, 2018 4:34 pm by LesBrewer

» Hard Mysteries By Amy Boucher Pye
Hope In Suffering By Julie Ackerman EmptySun Aug 05, 2018 6:05 pm by LesBrewer

» Forgiven?
Hope In Suffering By Julie Ackerman EmptySun Aug 05, 2018 5:42 pm by LesBrewer

May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Location Map
Bible Search
Search the Bible:

Examples: Psalm 27; John 15
love one another; Psalm 23

WEEKLY WISDOM

You are not connected. Please login or register

Hope In Suffering By Julie Ackerman

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Hope In Suffering By Julie Ackerman Empty Hope In Suffering By Julie Ackerman Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:59 am

LesBrewer

LesBrewer

Hope In Suffering By Julie Ackerman

Read: 1 Peter 1:3-9

In this [living hope] you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while, if need be, you have been grieved by various trials. —1 Peter 1:6

When I opened my Bible to read Jeremiah 1 through 4, the subhead ascribed to the book startled me: “Hope in Time of Weeping.” I almost cried. The timing was perfect, as I was walking through a season of weeping over the death of my mom.

I felt much the same way after hearing my pastor’s sermon the day before. The title was “Joy in Suffering,” taken from 1 Peter 1:3-9. He gave us an illustration from his own life: the one-year anniversary of his father’s death. The sermon was meaningful for many, but for me it was a gift from God. These and other events were indications backed up by His Word that God would not leave me alone in my grief.

Even though the way of sorrow is hard, God sends reminders of His enduring presence. To the Israelites expelled from the Promised Land due to disobedience, God made His presence known by sending prophets like Jeremiah to offer them hope—hope for reconciliation through repentance. And to those He leads through times of testing, He shows His presence through a community of believers who “love one another fervently with a pure heart” (1 Peter 1:22). These indications of God’s presence during trials on earth affirm God’s promise of the living hope awaiting us at the resurrection.
Does Jesus care when I’ve said goodbye
To the dearest on earth to me,
And my sad heart aches till it nearly breaks,
Is it aught to Him? Does He see? O yes, He cares! —Graeff
We need never be ashamed of our tears. —Dickens

Insight
The apostle Peter wrote his letters to a church that was enduring persecution for their faith. Though the “various trials” they were experiencing (1 Peter 1:6) may not be the same type of trials we must endure, the source of the strength to endure is the same. We are not alone in our trials, and our endurance in them is not due to our inner strength. It is God Himself who strengthens us to endure. We are kept by the power of God (v.5), so that our faith praises, honors, and glorifies Christ (v.7).

1 Peter 1:3-9 King James Version (KJV)

3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,

4 To an inheritance incorruptible, and undefiled, and that fadeth not away, reserved in heaven for you,

5 Who are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.

6 Wherein ye greatly rejoice, though now for a season, if need be, ye are in heaviness through manifold temptations:

7 That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ:

8 Whom having not seen, ye love; in whom, though now ye see him not, yet believing, ye rejoice with joy unspeakable and full of glory:

9 Receiving the end of your faith, even the salvation of your souls.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum