Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Join our study and walk through the Bible with us.

Latest topics
» Num 22:39-40
Our Life Is A Primer By Dennis Fisher EmptyTue Nov 06, 2018 3:43 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:27-28
Our Life Is A Primer By Dennis Fisher EmptyTue Oct 30, 2018 3:43 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:26
Our Life Is A Primer By Dennis Fisher EmptyTue Oct 23, 2018 4:04 am by clark thompson

» Num 22:37-38
Our Life Is A Primer By Dennis Fisher EmptyTue Oct 16, 2018 3:31 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:24-25
Our Life Is A Primer By Dennis Fisher EmptyTue Oct 09, 2018 4:08 am by clark thompson

» Num 22:30-32
Our Life Is A Primer By Dennis Fisher EmptyWed Aug 22, 2018 4:16 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:13-15
Our Life Is A Primer By Dennis Fisher EmptyTue Aug 14, 2018 3:36 am by clark thompson

» A Hopeful Lament By Amy Peterson
Our Life Is A Primer By Dennis Fisher EmptyFri Aug 10, 2018 11:42 am by LesBrewer

» What does the Bible say about pettiness?
Our Life Is A Primer By Dennis Fisher EmptyFri Aug 10, 2018 11:03 am by LesBrewer

» A Good Daddy By Xochitl Dixon
Our Life Is A Primer By Dennis Fisher EmptyThu Aug 09, 2018 1:57 am by LesBrewer

» Num 22:28-29
Our Life Is A Primer By Dennis Fisher EmptyWed Aug 08, 2018 10:32 pm by clark thompson

» When the Bottom Drops Out By Poh Fang Chia
Our Life Is A Primer By Dennis Fisher EmptyTue Aug 07, 2018 3:22 pm by LesBrewer

» The Joy of Giving By Leslie Koh
Our Life Is A Primer By Dennis Fisher EmptyMon Aug 06, 2018 4:34 pm by LesBrewer

» Hard Mysteries By Amy Boucher Pye
Our Life Is A Primer By Dennis Fisher EmptySun Aug 05, 2018 6:05 pm by LesBrewer

» Forgiven?
Our Life Is A Primer By Dennis Fisher EmptySun Aug 05, 2018 5:42 pm by LesBrewer

May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Location Map
Bible Search
Search the Bible:

Examples: Psalm 27; John 15
love one another; Psalm 23

WEEKLY WISDOM

You are not connected. Please login or register

Our Life Is A Primer By Dennis Fisher

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Our Life Is A Primer By Dennis Fisher Empty Our Life Is A Primer By Dennis Fisher Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:42 am

LesBrewer

LesBrewer

Our Life Is A Primer By Dennis Fisher

Read: Deuteronomy 6:4-9

You shall teach them diligently to your children . . . when you walk by the way, when you lie down, and when you rise up. —Deuteronomy 6:7

The New England Primer was published in the late 1600s. Throughout the colonies that would later become the United States, the book became a widely used resource.

This early American textbook was based largely on the Bible, and it used pictures and rhymes based on Scripture to help children learn to read. It also included prayers like this one: “Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord, my soul to keep. If I should die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.”

In Colonial America, this became a way that one generation was able to pass along their faith to the next generation. It fit well with what God wanted of His people, the ancient Israelites, as recorded in Deuteronomy 6:6-7, “These words which I command you today shall be in your heart. You shall teach [God’s commandments] diligently to your children, and shall talk of them . . . when you walk by the way, when you lie down, and when you rise up.”

As we talk about who God is, what He has done for us, and how He desires our love and obedience, our lives can become primers to the next generation. We can be teaching tools that God will use to help people in their walk with Him.
Lord, we love You. We want to learn to love
You with all our heart, soul, and strength.
Use our lives and our words to point others to You,
who first loved us.
When we teach others, we’re not just spending time, we’re investing it.

Insight
Deuteronomy 6:4-9, known as the Shema (from the Hebrew for “hear,” v.4), is the basic Jewish confession of faith. Every devout Jew was to recite the Shema twice daily as a reminder of the first and second commandments (Ex. 20:2-5). After giving the Ten Commandments (Deut. 5:6-22), Moses gave God’s people the one heart principle that undergirds the entire law: “Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your strength” (6:5). God demands exclusive, wholehearted, and undivided allegiance and devotion. Jesus said that this is “the first and greatest commandment” (Matt. 22:36-38).

Deuteronomy 6:4-9 King James Version (KJV)

4 Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God is one Lord:

5 And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.

6 And these words, which I command thee this day, shall be in thine heart:

7 And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up.

8 And thou shalt bind them for a sign upon thine hand, and they shall be as frontlets between thine eyes.

9 And thou shalt write them upon the posts of thy house, and on thy gates.
King James Version (KJV)

by Public Domain

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum