Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Join our study and walk through the Bible with us.

Latest topics
» Num 22:39-40
In the Garden By Joe Stowell EmptyTue Nov 06, 2018 3:43 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:27-28
In the Garden By Joe Stowell EmptyTue Oct 30, 2018 3:43 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:26
In the Garden By Joe Stowell EmptyTue Oct 23, 2018 4:04 am by clark thompson

» Num 22:37-38
In the Garden By Joe Stowell EmptyTue Oct 16, 2018 3:31 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:24-25
In the Garden By Joe Stowell EmptyTue Oct 09, 2018 4:08 am by clark thompson

» Num 22:30-32
In the Garden By Joe Stowell EmptyWed Aug 22, 2018 4:16 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:13-15
In the Garden By Joe Stowell EmptyTue Aug 14, 2018 3:36 am by clark thompson

» A Hopeful Lament By Amy Peterson
In the Garden By Joe Stowell EmptyFri Aug 10, 2018 11:42 am by LesBrewer

» What does the Bible say about pettiness?
In the Garden By Joe Stowell EmptyFri Aug 10, 2018 11:03 am by LesBrewer

» A Good Daddy By Xochitl Dixon
In the Garden By Joe Stowell EmptyThu Aug 09, 2018 1:57 am by LesBrewer

» Num 22:28-29
In the Garden By Joe Stowell EmptyWed Aug 08, 2018 10:32 pm by clark thompson

» When the Bottom Drops Out By Poh Fang Chia
In the Garden By Joe Stowell EmptyTue Aug 07, 2018 3:22 pm by LesBrewer

» The Joy of Giving By Leslie Koh
In the Garden By Joe Stowell EmptyMon Aug 06, 2018 4:34 pm by LesBrewer

» Hard Mysteries By Amy Boucher Pye
In the Garden By Joe Stowell EmptySun Aug 05, 2018 6:05 pm by LesBrewer

» Forgiven?
In the Garden By Joe Stowell EmptySun Aug 05, 2018 5:42 pm by LesBrewer

May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Location Map
Bible Search
Search the Bible:

Examples: Psalm 27; John 15
love one another; Psalm 23

WEEKLY WISDOM

You are not connected. Please login or register

In the Garden By Joe Stowell

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1In the Garden By Joe Stowell Empty In the Garden By Joe Stowell Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:46 am

LesBrewer

LesBrewer

In the Garden By Joe Stowell

In the Garden By Joe Stowell 11-770x425

Read: Matthew 26:36-42

My Father, . . . may your will be done. Matthew 26:42

My forefathers were pioneers in Michigan. They cleared the land, planted crops, and cultivated gardens to raise food for their families. This agrarian bent has been passed down through the generations. My dad grew up on a Michigan farm and loved gardening, which may explain why I love gardening and the smell of fertile soil. Cultivating plants that bear beautiful flowers and tending roses that fragrantly grace our yard with beauty are enjoyable pastimes for me. If it weren’t for the weeds it would be wonderful!

When I have to wrestle with the weeds, I am reminded of the garden of Eden; it was a perfect garden until Adam and Eve disobeyed God and thorns and thistles became a reality for them and every gardener since then (Gen. 3:17-18).

The Bible also mentions another garden—the garden of Gethsemane where Christ, in deep distress, pleaded with His Father to find another way to reverse sin’s consequences that were born in Eden. In Gethsemane, Jesus surrendered to His Father by uttering words of full obedience in the face of great pain: “Your will be done” (Matt. 26:42).

Because Jesus surrendered in that garden, we now harvest the benefits of His amazing grace. May this lead us to surrender to His weeding of sin from our lives.

Lord, thank You for the amazing price You paid to free me from sin. May the reality of the victory You won encourage me to reject the sin that entangles my ability to be fruitful for You.

Spiritual growth occurs when faith is cultivated.

Insight:

While Gethsemane is usually referred to as a “garden,” it was in reality more like an orchard of olive trees. A portion of that orchard still remains today at the foot of the Mount of Olives, just across the Brook Kidron from the old city of Jerusalem and the temple mount. From Gethsemane, you have a clear view of the Eastern Gate where it is believed the Messiah will enter Jerusalem when He returns to earth at His second coming. Imagine: In the shadow of the place where Jesus will be greatly honored as the arriving King is the garden where His sufferings began. Bill Crowder

Matthew 26:36-42 King James Version (KJV)

36 Then cometh Jesus with them unto a place called Gethsemane, and saith unto the disciples, Sit ye here, while I go and pray yonder.

37 And he took with him Peter and the two sons of Zebedee, and began to be sorrowful and very heavy.

38 Then saith he unto them, My soul is exceeding sorrowful, even unto death: tarry ye here, and watch with me.

39 And he went a little farther, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt.

40 And he cometh unto the disciples, and findeth them asleep, and saith unto Peter, What, could ye not watch with me one hour?

41 Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.

42 He went away again the second time, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if this cup may not pass away from me, except I drink it, thy will be done.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum