Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Join our study and walk through the Bible with us.

Latest topics
» Num 22:39-40
The Bread That Satisfies By Lawrence Darmani EmptyTue Nov 06, 2018 3:43 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:27-28
The Bread That Satisfies By Lawrence Darmani EmptyTue Oct 30, 2018 3:43 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:26
The Bread That Satisfies By Lawrence Darmani EmptyTue Oct 23, 2018 4:04 am by clark thompson

» Num 22:37-38
The Bread That Satisfies By Lawrence Darmani EmptyTue Oct 16, 2018 3:31 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:24-25
The Bread That Satisfies By Lawrence Darmani EmptyTue Oct 09, 2018 4:08 am by clark thompson

» Num 22:30-32
The Bread That Satisfies By Lawrence Darmani EmptyWed Aug 22, 2018 4:16 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:13-15
The Bread That Satisfies By Lawrence Darmani EmptyTue Aug 14, 2018 3:36 am by clark thompson

» A Hopeful Lament By Amy Peterson
The Bread That Satisfies By Lawrence Darmani EmptyFri Aug 10, 2018 11:42 am by LesBrewer

» What does the Bible say about pettiness?
The Bread That Satisfies By Lawrence Darmani EmptyFri Aug 10, 2018 11:03 am by LesBrewer

» A Good Daddy By Xochitl Dixon
The Bread That Satisfies By Lawrence Darmani EmptyThu Aug 09, 2018 1:57 am by LesBrewer

» Num 22:28-29
The Bread That Satisfies By Lawrence Darmani EmptyWed Aug 08, 2018 10:32 pm by clark thompson

» When the Bottom Drops Out By Poh Fang Chia
The Bread That Satisfies By Lawrence Darmani EmptyTue Aug 07, 2018 3:22 pm by LesBrewer

» The Joy of Giving By Leslie Koh
The Bread That Satisfies By Lawrence Darmani EmptyMon Aug 06, 2018 4:34 pm by LesBrewer

» Hard Mysteries By Amy Boucher Pye
The Bread That Satisfies By Lawrence Darmani EmptySun Aug 05, 2018 6:05 pm by LesBrewer

» Forgiven?
The Bread That Satisfies By Lawrence Darmani EmptySun Aug 05, 2018 5:42 pm by LesBrewer

May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Location Map
Bible Search
Search the Bible:

Examples: Psalm 27; John 15
love one another; Psalm 23

WEEKLY WISDOM

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Bread That Satisfies By Lawrence Darmani

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

LesBrewer

LesBrewer

The Bread That Satisfies By Lawrence Darmani

The Bread That Satisfies By Lawrence Darmani 18-770x425

Read: Luke 10:38-11:4

Give us each day our daily bread. Luke 11:3

I learned to recite the Lord's Prayer as a boy in primary school. Every time I said the line, "Give us today our daily bread" (Matt. 6:11), I couldn't help but think about the bread that we got only occasionally at home. Only when my father returned from his trip into town did we have a loaf of bread. So asking God to give us our daily bread was a relevant prayer to me.

How curious I was when years later I discovered the booklet Our Daily Bread. I knew the title came from the Lord’s Prayer, but I also knew it couldn’t be talking about the loaf of bread from the baker’s shop. I discovered as I read the booklet regularly that this "bread," full of Scripture portions and helpful notes, was spiritual food for the soul.

It was spiritual food that Mary chose when she sat at the feet of Jesus and listened attentively to His words (Luke 10:39). While Martha wearied herself with concern about physical food, Mary was taking time to be near their guest, the Lord Jesus, and to listen to Him. May we take that time as well. He is the Bread of Life (John 6:35), and He feeds our hearts with spiritual food. He is the Bread that satisfies.

I sit before You now, Lord, and want to learn from You. My heart is open to hear from You in Your Word. Teach me. Feed me.

“I am the bread of life.” Jesus

INSIGHT:

Martha was lovingly rebuked by Christ for her attitude in Luke 10:38–42. Yet later, in John 11:17–27, she made a profound statement of trust and dependence upon Christ following the death of her brother, Lazarus. Then in John 12:1–7 she once again served Jesus and His disciples, yet without any mention of the kinds of frustration pictured in Luke 10. It seems that Martha had grown in her relationship with Christ.

Luke 10:38-11:4 King James Version (KJV)

38 Now it came to pass, as they went, that he entered into a certain village: and a certain woman named Martha received him into her house.

39 And she had a sister called Mary, which also sat at Jesus' feet, and heard his word.

40 But Martha was cumbered about much serving, and came to him, and said, Lord, dost thou not care that my sister hath left me to serve alone? bid her therefore that she help me.

41 And Jesus answered and said unto her, Martha, Martha, thou art careful and troubled about many things:

42 But one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her.

11 And it came to pass, that, as he was praying in a certain place, when he ceased, one of his disciples said unto him, Lord, teach us to pray, as John also taught his disciples.

2 And he said unto them, When ye pray, say, Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done, as in heaven, so in earth.

3 Give us day by day our daily bread.

4 And forgive us our sins; for we also forgive every one that is indebted to us. And lead us not into temptation; but deliver us from evil.

King James Version (KJV)

Public Domain

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum