Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Join our study and walk through the Bible with us.

Latest topics
» Num 22:39-40
The Best Gift Ever By Randy Kilgore EmptyTue Nov 06, 2018 3:43 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:27-28
The Best Gift Ever By Randy Kilgore EmptyTue Oct 30, 2018 3:43 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:26
The Best Gift Ever By Randy Kilgore EmptyTue Oct 23, 2018 4:04 am by clark thompson

» Num 22:37-38
The Best Gift Ever By Randy Kilgore EmptyTue Oct 16, 2018 3:31 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:24-25
The Best Gift Ever By Randy Kilgore EmptyTue Oct 09, 2018 4:08 am by clark thompson

» Num 22:30-32
The Best Gift Ever By Randy Kilgore EmptyWed Aug 22, 2018 4:16 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:13-15
The Best Gift Ever By Randy Kilgore EmptyTue Aug 14, 2018 3:36 am by clark thompson

» A Hopeful Lament By Amy Peterson
The Best Gift Ever By Randy Kilgore EmptyFri Aug 10, 2018 11:42 am by LesBrewer

» What does the Bible say about pettiness?
The Best Gift Ever By Randy Kilgore EmptyFri Aug 10, 2018 11:03 am by LesBrewer

» A Good Daddy By Xochitl Dixon
The Best Gift Ever By Randy Kilgore EmptyThu Aug 09, 2018 1:57 am by LesBrewer

» Num 22:28-29
The Best Gift Ever By Randy Kilgore EmptyWed Aug 08, 2018 10:32 pm by clark thompson

» When the Bottom Drops Out By Poh Fang Chia
The Best Gift Ever By Randy Kilgore EmptyTue Aug 07, 2018 3:22 pm by LesBrewer

» The Joy of Giving By Leslie Koh
The Best Gift Ever By Randy Kilgore EmptyMon Aug 06, 2018 4:34 pm by LesBrewer

» Hard Mysteries By Amy Boucher Pye
The Best Gift Ever By Randy Kilgore EmptySun Aug 05, 2018 6:05 pm by LesBrewer

» Forgiven?
The Best Gift Ever By Randy Kilgore EmptySun Aug 05, 2018 5:42 pm by LesBrewer

May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Location Map
Bible Search
Search the Bible:

Examples: Psalm 27; John 15
love one another; Psalm 23

WEEKLY WISDOM

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Best Gift Ever By Randy Kilgore

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1The Best Gift Ever By Randy Kilgore Empty The Best Gift Ever By Randy Kilgore Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:03 pm

LesBrewer

LesBrewer

The Best Gift Ever By Randy Kilgore

The Best Gift Ever By Randy Kilgore 22-770x425

Read: 1 Peter 3:8–16

Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. 1 Peter 3:15

At a winter retreat in northern New England, one of the men asked the question, “What was your favorite Christmas gift ever?”

One athletic man seemed eager to answer. “That’s easy,” he said, glancing at his friend next to him. “A few years back, I finished college thinking I was a sure bet to play professional football. When it didn’t happen, I was angry. Bitterness ate at me, and I shared that bitterness with anyone who tried to help me.”

“On the second Christmas—and second season without football—I went to a Christmas play at this guy’s church,” he said, gesturing toward his friend. “Not because I wanted Jesus, but just to see my niece in her Christmas pageant. It’s hard to describe what happened because it sounds silly, but right in the middle of that kids’ play, I felt like I needed to be with those shepherds and angels meeting Jesus. When that crowd finished singing ‘Silent Night,’ I just sat there weeping.

“I got my best Christmas present ever that very night,” he said, again pointing to his friend, “when this guy sent his family home without him so he could tell me how to meet Jesus.”

It was then that his friend piped up: “And that, guys, was my best Christmas present ever.”

This Christmas, may the joyful simplicity of the story of Jesus’s birth be the story we tell to others.

The best Christmas gift is Jesus bringing peace and forgiveness to others.

INSIGHT:

Do you struggle at times to find the right words to talk about the good news to someone who hasn’t yet accepted it? If so, the apostle Peter offers a refreshingly flexible approach to sharing our faith. He urges us to give others a reason to ask about our hope in Christ (3:15). If we honor Christ as Lord in our hearts first, the difference it makes in us will prompt questions (v. 15). Peter envisions the kind of transformation that others will envy—in the best sense of the word. Those living under the influence of Christ will treat one another with compassion and humility (v. 8). They won't return evil for evil, or insult for insult, but rather blessings for curses (v. 9). This difference in our lives will help others open themselves up to receiving the best gift they could ever receive.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum