Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Join our study and walk through the Bible with us.

Latest topics
» Num 22:39-40
I’ve Come to Help By Randy Kilgore EmptyTue Nov 06, 2018 3:43 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:27-28
I’ve Come to Help By Randy Kilgore EmptyTue Oct 30, 2018 3:43 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:26
I’ve Come to Help By Randy Kilgore EmptyTue Oct 23, 2018 4:04 am by clark thompson

» Num 22:37-38
I’ve Come to Help By Randy Kilgore EmptyTue Oct 16, 2018 3:31 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:24-25
I’ve Come to Help By Randy Kilgore EmptyTue Oct 09, 2018 4:08 am by clark thompson

» Num 22:30-32
I’ve Come to Help By Randy Kilgore EmptyWed Aug 22, 2018 4:16 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:13-15
I’ve Come to Help By Randy Kilgore EmptyTue Aug 14, 2018 3:36 am by clark thompson

» A Hopeful Lament By Amy Peterson
I’ve Come to Help By Randy Kilgore EmptyFri Aug 10, 2018 11:42 am by LesBrewer

» What does the Bible say about pettiness?
I’ve Come to Help By Randy Kilgore EmptyFri Aug 10, 2018 11:03 am by LesBrewer

» A Good Daddy By Xochitl Dixon
I’ve Come to Help By Randy Kilgore EmptyThu Aug 09, 2018 1:57 am by LesBrewer

» Num 22:28-29
I’ve Come to Help By Randy Kilgore EmptyWed Aug 08, 2018 10:32 pm by clark thompson

» When the Bottom Drops Out By Poh Fang Chia
I’ve Come to Help By Randy Kilgore EmptyTue Aug 07, 2018 3:22 pm by LesBrewer

» The Joy of Giving By Leslie Koh
I’ve Come to Help By Randy Kilgore EmptyMon Aug 06, 2018 4:34 pm by LesBrewer

» Hard Mysteries By Amy Boucher Pye
I’ve Come to Help By Randy Kilgore EmptySun Aug 05, 2018 6:05 pm by LesBrewer

» Forgiven?
I’ve Come to Help By Randy Kilgore EmptySun Aug 05, 2018 5:42 pm by LesBrewer

April 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Location Map
Bible Search
Search the Bible:

Examples: Psalm 27; John 15
love one another; Psalm 23

WEEKLY WISDOM

You are not connected. Please login or register

I’ve Come to Help By Randy Kilgore

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1I’ve Come to Help By Randy Kilgore Empty I’ve Come to Help By Randy Kilgore Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:09 am

LesBrewer

LesBrewer

b]I’ve Come to Help By Randy Kilgore[/b]

I’ve Come to Help By Randy Kilgore 10-770x425

Read: James 1:19-27

Be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves. —James 1:22

Reporter Jacob Riis’s vivid descriptions of poverty in 19th-century New York City horrified a generally complacent public. His book How the Other Half Lives combined his writing with his own photographs to paint a picture so vivid that the public could not escape the certainty of poverty’s desperate existence. The third of fifteen children himself, Riis wrote so effectively because he had lived in that world of terrible despair.

Shortly after the release of his book, he received a card from a young man just beginning his political career. The note read simply, “I have read your book, and I have come to help. Theodore Roosevelt.” (This politician later became a US President.)

True faith responds to the needs of others, according to James (1:19-27). May our hearts be moved from inaction to action, from words alone to deeds that back them up. Compassionate action not only aids those mired in life’s difficulties, but it may also make them open to the greater message from our Savior who sees their need and can do so much more for them.

O Lord, it is so easy to be overwhelmed, or to judge and therefore to refrain from helping others. Lift our eyes above our own thoughts and circumstances, and let us care as You care.

Others will know what the words “God is love” mean when they see it in our lives.

Insight:

James’s letter was written to people enduring difficult times. In James 1:1 we read, “James, a bondservant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, to the twelve tribes which are scattered abroad: Greetings.” The “twelve tribes which are scattered abroad” were Jewish followers of Christ who had been driven from their homes in Jerusalem by persecution. Many of them had lost everything because of their faith in Christ, and they were struggling. Perhaps that is why James spoke so passionately about caring for orphans and widows (1:27) and the poor (ch.2). Because the believers had suffered so much themselves, they should have understood the importance of responding to the needs of others. Bill Crowder

James 1:19-27 King James Version (KJV)

19 Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath:

20 For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God.

21 Wherefore lay apart all filthiness and superfluity of naughtiness, and receive with meekness the engrafted word, which is able to save your souls.

22 But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.

23 For if any be a hearer of the word, and not a doer, he is like unto a man beholding his natural face in a glass:

24 For he beholdeth himself, and goeth his way, and straightway forgetteth what manner of man he was.

25 But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.

26 If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man's religion is vain.

27 Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum