Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Join our study and walk through the Bible with us.

Latest topics
» Num 22:39-40
Happy Ending By Philip Yancey EmptyTue Nov 06, 2018 3:43 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:27-28
Happy Ending By Philip Yancey EmptyTue Oct 30, 2018 3:43 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:26
Happy Ending By Philip Yancey EmptyTue Oct 23, 2018 4:04 am by clark thompson

» Num 22:37-38
Happy Ending By Philip Yancey EmptyTue Oct 16, 2018 3:31 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:24-25
Happy Ending By Philip Yancey EmptyTue Oct 09, 2018 4:08 am by clark thompson

» Num 22:30-32
Happy Ending By Philip Yancey EmptyWed Aug 22, 2018 4:16 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:13-15
Happy Ending By Philip Yancey EmptyTue Aug 14, 2018 3:36 am by clark thompson

» A Hopeful Lament By Amy Peterson
Happy Ending By Philip Yancey EmptyFri Aug 10, 2018 11:42 am by LesBrewer

» What does the Bible say about pettiness?
Happy Ending By Philip Yancey EmptyFri Aug 10, 2018 11:03 am by LesBrewer

» A Good Daddy By Xochitl Dixon
Happy Ending By Philip Yancey EmptyThu Aug 09, 2018 1:57 am by LesBrewer

» Num 22:28-29
Happy Ending By Philip Yancey EmptyWed Aug 08, 2018 10:32 pm by clark thompson

» When the Bottom Drops Out By Poh Fang Chia
Happy Ending By Philip Yancey EmptyTue Aug 07, 2018 3:22 pm by LesBrewer

» The Joy of Giving By Leslie Koh
Happy Ending By Philip Yancey EmptyMon Aug 06, 2018 4:34 pm by LesBrewer

» Hard Mysteries By Amy Boucher Pye
Happy Ending By Philip Yancey EmptySun Aug 05, 2018 6:05 pm by LesBrewer

» Forgiven?
Happy Ending By Philip Yancey EmptySun Aug 05, 2018 5:42 pm by LesBrewer

May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Location Map
Bible Search
Search the Bible:

Examples: Psalm 27; John 15
love one another; Psalm 23

WEEKLY WISDOM

You are not connected. Please login or register

Happy Ending By Philip Yancey

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Happy Ending By Philip Yancey Empty Happy Ending By Philip Yancey Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:35 am

LesBrewer

LesBrewer

Happy Ending By Philip Yancey

Read: Revelation 21:1-7

I saw a new heaven and a new earth. —Revelation 21:1

In its “plot,” the story of the Bible ends up very much where it began. The broken relationship between God and human beings has healed over at last, and the curse of Genesis 3 is lifted. Borrowing images from Eden, Revelation pictures a river and a tree of life (Rev. 22:1-2). But this time a great city replaces the garden setting—a city filled with worshipers of God. No death or sadness will ever darken that scene. When we awake in the new heaven and new earth, we will have at last a happy ending.

Heaven is not an afterthought or an optional belief. It is the final justification of all creation. The Bible never belittles human tragedy and disappointment—is any book more painfully honest?—but it does add one key word: temporary. What we feel now, we will not always feel. The time for re-creation will come.

For people who feel trapped in pain or in a broken home, in economic misery or in fear—for all of us—heaven promises a timeless future of health and wholeness and pleasure and peace. The Bible begins with the promise of a Redeemer in the book of Genesis (3:15) and ends with that same promise (Rev. 21:1-7)—a guarantee of future reality. The end will be the beginning.
Beyond earth’s sorrows, the joys of heaven;
Eternal blessings with Christ my Lord;
Earth’s weeping ended, earth’s trials over,
Sweet rest in Jesus, O blest reward! —Gilmore
The gains of heaven will more than compensate us for the losses of earth.

Insight
The reality of a new heaven and a new earth (Rev. 21:1) is not a New Testament idea that begins with or is exclusive to the apostle John. Peter also spoke of this new heaven and earth as a world filled with God’s righteousness (2 Peter 3:13). And the Old Testament prophet Isaiah described the “new heavens and a new earth” (Isa. 65:17-25; 66:22) 700 years before the birth of Christ.

.............................................................................................

Revelation 21:1-7 King James Version (KJV)

21 And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.

2 And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.

3 And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God.

4 And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.

5 And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful.

6 And he said unto me, It is done. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely.

7 He that overcometh shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum