Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Join our study and walk through the Bible with us.

Latest topics
» Num 22:39-40
Faithful Service By Dennis Fisher EmptyTue Nov 06, 2018 3:43 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:27-28
Faithful Service By Dennis Fisher EmptyTue Oct 30, 2018 3:43 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:26
Faithful Service By Dennis Fisher EmptyTue Oct 23, 2018 4:04 am by clark thompson

» Num 22:37-38
Faithful Service By Dennis Fisher EmptyTue Oct 16, 2018 3:31 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:24-25
Faithful Service By Dennis Fisher EmptyTue Oct 09, 2018 4:08 am by clark thompson

» Num 22:30-32
Faithful Service By Dennis Fisher EmptyWed Aug 22, 2018 4:16 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:13-15
Faithful Service By Dennis Fisher EmptyTue Aug 14, 2018 3:36 am by clark thompson

» A Hopeful Lament By Amy Peterson
Faithful Service By Dennis Fisher EmptyFri Aug 10, 2018 11:42 am by LesBrewer

» What does the Bible say about pettiness?
Faithful Service By Dennis Fisher EmptyFri Aug 10, 2018 11:03 am by LesBrewer

» A Good Daddy By Xochitl Dixon
Faithful Service By Dennis Fisher EmptyThu Aug 09, 2018 1:57 am by LesBrewer

» Num 22:28-29
Faithful Service By Dennis Fisher EmptyWed Aug 08, 2018 10:32 pm by clark thompson

» When the Bottom Drops Out By Poh Fang Chia
Faithful Service By Dennis Fisher EmptyTue Aug 07, 2018 3:22 pm by LesBrewer

» The Joy of Giving By Leslie Koh
Faithful Service By Dennis Fisher EmptyMon Aug 06, 2018 4:34 pm by LesBrewer

» Hard Mysteries By Amy Boucher Pye
Faithful Service By Dennis Fisher EmptySun Aug 05, 2018 6:05 pm by LesBrewer

» Forgiven?
Faithful Service By Dennis Fisher EmptySun Aug 05, 2018 5:42 pm by LesBrewer

May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Location Map
Bible Search
Search the Bible:

Examples: Psalm 27; John 15
love one another; Psalm 23

WEEKLY WISDOM

You are not connected. Please login or register

Faithful Service By Dennis Fisher

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Faithful Service By Dennis Fisher Empty Faithful Service By Dennis Fisher Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:26 am

LesBrewer

LesBrewer

Faithful Service By Dennis Fisher

Faithful Service By Dennis Fisher 20-770x425

Read: 2 Timothy 2:1-10

You therefore must endure hardship as a good soldier of Jesus Christ. —2 Timothy 2:3

Having served in World War I, C. S. Lewis was no stranger to the stresses of military service. In a public address during the Second World War, he eloquently described the hardships a soldier has to face: “All that we fear from all the kinds of adversity . . . is collected together in the life of the soldier on active service. Like sickness, it threatens pain and death. Like poverty, it threatens ill lodging, cold, heat, thirst, and hunger. Like slavery, it threatens toil, humiliation, injustice, and arbitrary rule. Like exile, it separates you from all you love.”

The apostle Paul used the analogy of a soldier suffering hardship to describe the trials a believer may experience in service to Christ. Paul—now at the end of his life—had faithfully endured suffering for the sake of the gospel. He encourages Timothy to do the same: “You therefore must endure hardship as a good soldier of Jesus Christ” (2 Tim. 2:3).

Serving Christ requires perseverance. We may encounter obstacles of poor health, troubled relationships, or difficult circumstances. But as a good soldier we press on—with God’s strength—because we serve the King of Kings and Lord of Lords who sacrificed Himself for us!

Dear Father, help me to be faithful in my service to You. Thank You for the strength You provide to help me persevere through suffering.

Share this prayer from our Facebook page with your friends. facebook.com/ourdailybread

God’s love does not keep us from trials, but sees us through them.

Insight:

Paul often uses colorful metaphors to describe the Christian. Sheep (John 10:27), salt and light (Matt. 5:13-14), and ambassadors (2 Cor. 5:20) are well-known examples. In today’s reading Paul uses three common professions to describe the motivation and challenges of the Christian life. He speaks of the perseverance and allegiance of the soldier (vv. 3-4), the dedication and discipline of the athlete (v. 5), and the diligence and patience of the farmer (v. 6). Paul also uses these metaphors again in his letter to the Corinthians (1 Cor. 9:7,27).

2 Timothy 2:1-10 King James Version (KJV)

2 Thou therefore, my son, be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus.

2 And the things that thou hast heard of me among many witnesses, the same commit thou to faithful men, who shall be able to teach others also.

3 Thou therefore endure hardness, as a good soldier of Jesus Christ.

4 No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.

5 And if a man also strive for masteries, yet is he not crowned, except he strive lawfully.

6 The husbandman that laboureth must be first partaker of the fruits.

7 Consider what I say; and the Lord give thee understanding in all things.

8 Remember that Jesus Christ of the seed of David was raised from the dead according to my gospel:

9 Wherein I suffer trouble, as an evil doer, even unto bonds; but the word of God is not bound.

10 Therefore I endure all things for the elect's sakes, that they may also obtain the salvation which is in Christ Jesus with eternal glory.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum