Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Join our study and walk through the Bible with us.

Latest topics
» Num 22:39-40
Chess Master By Philip Yancey EmptyTue Nov 06, 2018 3:43 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:27-28
Chess Master By Philip Yancey EmptyTue Oct 30, 2018 3:43 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:26
Chess Master By Philip Yancey EmptyTue Oct 23, 2018 4:04 am by clark thompson

» Num 22:37-38
Chess Master By Philip Yancey EmptyTue Oct 16, 2018 3:31 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:24-25
Chess Master By Philip Yancey EmptyTue Oct 09, 2018 4:08 am by clark thompson

» Num 22:30-32
Chess Master By Philip Yancey EmptyWed Aug 22, 2018 4:16 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:13-15
Chess Master By Philip Yancey EmptyTue Aug 14, 2018 3:36 am by clark thompson

» A Hopeful Lament By Amy Peterson
Chess Master By Philip Yancey EmptyFri Aug 10, 2018 11:42 am by LesBrewer

» What does the Bible say about pettiness?
Chess Master By Philip Yancey EmptyFri Aug 10, 2018 11:03 am by LesBrewer

» A Good Daddy By Xochitl Dixon
Chess Master By Philip Yancey EmptyThu Aug 09, 2018 1:57 am by LesBrewer

» Num 22:28-29
Chess Master By Philip Yancey EmptyWed Aug 08, 2018 10:32 pm by clark thompson

» When the Bottom Drops Out By Poh Fang Chia
Chess Master By Philip Yancey EmptyTue Aug 07, 2018 3:22 pm by LesBrewer

» The Joy of Giving By Leslie Koh
Chess Master By Philip Yancey EmptyMon Aug 06, 2018 4:34 pm by LesBrewer

» Hard Mysteries By Amy Boucher Pye
Chess Master By Philip Yancey EmptySun Aug 05, 2018 6:05 pm by LesBrewer

» Forgiven?
Chess Master By Philip Yancey EmptySun Aug 05, 2018 5:42 pm by LesBrewer

May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Location Map
Bible Search
Search the Bible:

Examples: Psalm 27; John 15
love one another; Psalm 23

WEEKLY WISDOM

You are not connected. Please login or register

Chess Master By Philip Yancey

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Chess Master By Philip Yancey Empty Chess Master By Philip Yancey Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:56 am

LesBrewer

LesBrewer

Chess Master By Philip Yancey

Chess Master By Philip Yancey 05-770x425

Read: Romans 8:18-25

We, according to His promise, look for new heavens and a new earth in which righteousness dwells. —2 Peter 3:13

In high school I took pride in my ability to play chess. I joined the chess club, and during lunch hour I could be found sitting at a table with other nerds, poring over books with titles like Classic King Pawn Openings. I studied techniques, won most of my matches, and put the game aside for 20 years. Then I met a truly fine chess player who had been perfecting his skills long since high school, and I learned what it is like to play against a master. Although I had complete freedom to make any move I wished, none of my strategies mattered very much. His superior skill guaranteed that my purposes inevitably ended up serving his own.

Perhaps there is a spiritual picture for us here. God grants us freedom to rebel against His original design, but even as we do so we end up serving His eventual goal of restoration (Rom. 8:21; 2 Peter 3:13; Rev. 21:1). This transformed the way I view both good and bad things. Good things—such as health, talent, and money—I can present to God as offerings to serve His purposes. And bad things—disability, poverty, family dysfunction, failure—can be “redeemed” as the very instruments that drive me to God.

With the Grand Master, victory is assured, no matter how the board of life may look at any given moment.

Father, I’m grateful that in all of life Your purposes are being accomplished. May I learn to have open hands—to accept whatever You give to me and whatever You take from me. Help me to trust Your heart.

When we can’t see God’s hand, we can trust His heart.

Insight:

As followers of Jesus we look forward in hope to the new heaven and the new earth where we will spend eternity in loving adoration and communion with the triune God and with each other. Today’s passage from Paul’s letter to the Romans suggests that reconciliation and restoration—the undoing of all the damage of sin—is not limited to humanity. God’s good creation (see Gen. 1) is also groaning under the weight of sin and is waiting for the ultimate realization of salvation provided by God through Christ. J.R. Hudberg

Romans 8:18-25 King James Version (KJV)

18 For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.

19 For the earnest expectation of the creature waiteth for the manifestation of the sons of God.

20 For the creature was made subject to vanity, not willingly, but by reason of him who hath subjected the same in hope,

21 Because the creature itself also shall be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God.

22 For we know that the whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain together until now.

23 And not only they, but ourselves also, which have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting for the adoption, to wit, the redemption of our body.

24 For we are saved by hope: but hope that is seen is not hope: for what a man seeth, why doth he yet hope for?

25 But if we hope for that we see not, then do we with patience wait for it.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum