Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Join our study and walk through the Bible with us.

Latest topics
» Num 22:39-40
Lessons in Suffering By Lawrence Darmani EmptyTue Nov 06, 2018 3:43 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:27-28
Lessons in Suffering By Lawrence Darmani EmptyTue Oct 30, 2018 3:43 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:26
Lessons in Suffering By Lawrence Darmani EmptyTue Oct 23, 2018 4:04 am by clark thompson

» Num 22:37-38
Lessons in Suffering By Lawrence Darmani EmptyTue Oct 16, 2018 3:31 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:24-25
Lessons in Suffering By Lawrence Darmani EmptyTue Oct 09, 2018 4:08 am by clark thompson

» Num 22:30-32
Lessons in Suffering By Lawrence Darmani EmptyWed Aug 22, 2018 4:16 am by clark thompson

» Acts 11:13-15
Lessons in Suffering By Lawrence Darmani EmptyTue Aug 14, 2018 3:36 am by clark thompson

» A Hopeful Lament By Amy Peterson
Lessons in Suffering By Lawrence Darmani EmptyFri Aug 10, 2018 11:42 am by LesBrewer

» What does the Bible say about pettiness?
Lessons in Suffering By Lawrence Darmani EmptyFri Aug 10, 2018 11:03 am by LesBrewer

» A Good Daddy By Xochitl Dixon
Lessons in Suffering By Lawrence Darmani EmptyThu Aug 09, 2018 1:57 am by LesBrewer

» Num 22:28-29
Lessons in Suffering By Lawrence Darmani EmptyWed Aug 08, 2018 10:32 pm by clark thompson

» When the Bottom Drops Out By Poh Fang Chia
Lessons in Suffering By Lawrence Darmani EmptyTue Aug 07, 2018 3:22 pm by LesBrewer

» The Joy of Giving By Leslie Koh
Lessons in Suffering By Lawrence Darmani EmptyMon Aug 06, 2018 4:34 pm by LesBrewer

» Hard Mysteries By Amy Boucher Pye
Lessons in Suffering By Lawrence Darmani EmptySun Aug 05, 2018 6:05 pm by LesBrewer

» Forgiven?
Lessons in Suffering By Lawrence Darmani EmptySun Aug 05, 2018 5:42 pm by LesBrewer

May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Location Map
Bible Search
Search the Bible:

Examples: Psalm 27; John 15
love one another; Psalm 23

WEEKLY WISDOM

You are not connected. Please login or register

Lessons in Suffering By Lawrence Darmani

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Lessons in Suffering By Lawrence Darmani Empty Lessons in Suffering By Lawrence Darmani Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:58 am

LesBrewer

LesBrewer

Lessons in Suffering By Lawrence Darmani

Lessons in Suffering By Lawrence Darmani 19-770x425

Read: 2 Corinthians 11:21-30

If I must boast, I will boast of the things that show my weakness. 2 Corinthians 11:30

The close-up image on the giant screen was big and sharp, so we could see the deep cuts on the man’s body. A soldier beat him while an angry crowd laughed at the man whose face was now covered with blood. The scenes appeared so real that, in the silence of the open-air theater, I cringed and grimaced as if I could feel the pain myself. But this was only a film reenactment of Jesus’ suffering for us.

Reminding us of Jesus’ suffering, Peter wrote, “To this you were called, because Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example, that you should follow in his steps” (1 Peter 2:21). While suffering comes in different forms and intensity, it is to be expected. Ours may not be as intense as that experienced by Paul, who for the sake of Christ was beaten with rods, stoned, and shipwrecked. He was attacked by bandits, and he endured hunger and thirst (2 Cor. 11:24-27). Likewise, we may not suffer like those who endure severe persecution in cultures where Christianity is not welcomed.

In some form or another, however, suffering will come our way as we deny ourselves, endure harassment, bear insults, or refuse to engage in activities that do not honor the Lord. Even exercising patience, avoiding revenge, and forgiving others in order to foster good relationships are forms of following in His steps.

Whenever we encounter suffering, may we remember what Jesus endured for us.

What have you learned about God through your trials?

The school of suffering teaches us lessons that we could learn in no other classroom.

Insight:

Today’s passage lists the trials that Paul suffered in service for the gospel. Most of us have not experienced the persecution that Paul faced. But for him, suffering was a small price to pay. In fact, it was an honor for him to suffer because of the gospel (v. 30). Because Christ suffered for us, suffering for Him is a privilege. J.R. Hudberg

2 Corinthians 11:21-30 King James Version (KJV)

21 I speak as concerning reproach, as though we had been weak. Howbeit whereinsoever any is bold, (I speak foolishly,) I am bold also.

22 Are they Hebrews? so am I. Are they Israelites? so am I. Are they the seed of Abraham? so am I.

23 Are they ministers of Christ? (I speak as a fool) I am more; in labours more abundant, in stripes above measure, in prisons more frequent, in deaths oft.

24 Of the Jews five times received I forty stripes save one.

25 Thrice was I beaten with rods, once was I stoned, thrice I suffered shipwreck, a night and a day I have been in the deep;

26 In journeyings often, in perils of waters, in perils of robbers, in perils by mine own countrymen, in perils by the heathen, in perils in the city, in perils in the wilderness, in perils in the sea, in perils among false brethren;

27 In weariness and painfulness, in watchings often, in hunger and thirst, in fastings often, in cold and nakedness.

28 Beside those things that are without, that which cometh upon me daily, the care of all the churches.

29 Who is weak, and I am not weak? who is offended, and I burn not?

30 If I must needs glory, I will glory of the things which concern mine infirmities.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum